ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running costs of my 172 one year later

172/vx220t/m135i
Decided to replace my everyday car last year for something bit more fun to drive as my daily commute had reduced to just 6 miles a day. So the hyundai coupe went and i had my heart set an a 172.

I must admit to being a little concerned when researching about the reliability, running costs etc but felt the positives were worth the risk and outweighed the negatives. Took me a while to find what i felt was not a dog and eventually opted for a late 51plate phase 2 in ruby red on 72k.

The condition was very good throughout although had the odd niggle like the torn wheel grip but overall very tidy. Service history wise there was no service book but receipts showing services done and cambelt/aux belt done bang on time was enough for me feel it had been looked after. Afterall anyone these days can just stick a stamp in a book.

So here is the breakdown cost over the year which i've done 7k (excluding tax/insurance) -

- mot £45
- handbrake cable £69.40
- genuine clio disks/ motrio pads rears £108
- genuine front pads £40
- brembo hc front disks £45
- 2 x kumho sport tyres £126.20 fitted
- genuine renault service kit (oil,air,pollen filter & nkg plugs) £67.80
- type d coolant £13.87
- gulf comp race oil, dot 4 brake fluid, gearbox oil £47.87

Total £563.14

All the parts prices included delivery, i've cheated a little as the labour was free besides the tyre fitting, a good friend of mine did the service etc who i owe a few beers to!

Now i was thinking that this is a decent amount for a car of this ilk, as i no from reading other threads that there has been more than that spent in a month in some cases. Especially as most the items spent were consumables which are needed for any car. This year will be steep though with the cambelt/aux belt due for change in October.

To put it into a little perspective though the Mrs bought a pug 107 the same month last year, granted it was 4 years newer, her running costs for the year.......zero!! Oh well can't win them all.

So how does this compare to other owners, is this the norm or have i been lucky and it's a matter of time before the costs rise? Thoughts please.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
in just under 2000 miles give or take but granted all these bits weren't "needed"

Belts and water pump change - 450 quid or near there
Eibach springs - £150 ish
Exhaust - £320
Splitter - £15
Misc bits (exhaust hangers and adapters for stereo) - ~ £50
Stereo - £120
Oil, filter, gearbox oil change - £60
plugs - £60

06 Hyundai coupe 2.0
Iv just sold my second 172 and got a 2006 Hyundai coupe! I was so fed up with the 172, every month something else seemed to break on it, I just wanted something reliable. Though there is nothing better than a fully working 172 on a quiet dry country road :)

mx5 & 172
They don't seem too bad to run compared to a lot of fast(ish)cars - or indeed normal modern(ish) cars- unless something major goes wrong. I'm lucky in that all the common big jobs were done on mine before I bought it so touch wood the biggest cost im likely to see for the next 3 years is tyres.

it'll still be a shock after the mx5 though - over 2 years of ownership I spent about £300 on maintenance. I did spend quite a lot of money on shiny bits and wheels mind...

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Yeah sucks doesnt it? I let all my audio stuff go in my last clio, regretted it the second I handed the keys over!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
In eight months....

Door knocks removed £60.00
Exhaust Mount £13.50
service (oil, filters, plugs, rear pads, Exhaust Mount, PAS Fluid) £200.00
full detail (Inc clean up headlights) £150.00
4no Tyres £250

and it's now for sale due to needing a tow car :(

Fiesta ST Stage 3
6 Months

Front Spring £ 58
handbrake cable £42
Rear Arm + Bolt £295
Rear Pads£ 32
Spark Plugs £48.50
Oil & Filter £ 54
Front Shock £ 148
Track Rod £ 32
Cambelt + Water Pump + Belts etc £ 500
Remap £ 175

Total £ 1384.50

In my 9 months of owning a 172:

Exhaust system (old one started blowing and split in half) - £400
MOT - £50
Tax - £235
UCH - £400
Coilpack - £25 I think
ABS Sensor and Ring - About £40
Service - About £150
Rear discs/pads - £120ish

Total = £1020

That doesnt include a few mods that I did to it, eg. added the Cup Spoiler.

Clio 172 Cup
172 Cup past year.

Mot - £35
Tax - £235
Tyres - £360
Brakes - £190
Brake lines - £55
Wheels - £260
Ktec Mounts - £185
Polyflex inc Dog Bone - £110
Service - £75
Splitter - £80
Exhaust £235
Mounts £30

Fingers Crossed JMS kit + Belt change £1500+ lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How can you compare it to the 107? Apart from the handbrake cable it's just the fact the other stuff has not worn out yet??

172/vx220t/m135i
How can you compare it to the 107? Apart from the handbrake cable it's just the fact the other stuff has not worn out yet??

Wasn't really comparing it, maybe i needed to put a smiley face at the end of the sentence, i realise the 107 would be hell of alot cheaper to run and for consumables, tyres, pads etc anyway, just dropped that in at the end of my post. I'm comparing the costs to OTHER cliosports. Reliability wise i can't argue with this example then so far as as you rightly say only the handbrake cable has actually let me down.

172 + derv 206
not bad really,. me mum used to have a merc e class diesel. apart from a 2 set of tyres and a set of brakes all round, it cost 20p in ten years. small clip on the throttle broke. bought with 25k on the clock and sold with 125k on the clock

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Running cost of a 1*2 for a year should always be.

Service- £150ish
mot- £40?
Tax- £235
Fuel ££££
Then whatever wears out/breaks.