ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running 2 cars, is it cheaper???

200 FF Storm Grey
Lol well mentioned on the other page that a scooter wouldn't be a bad idea if I move closer to work (cut out motorway), shove a fiver in it for the week lol

200 FF Storm Grey
Don't get me wrong, I can afford to run the car, not living past my means, was just curious as to whether many to do go for a second car

Its definately not cheaper as I own/insure two cars, however I dont do it to save money. I do it as one's nice and comfy to drive and the other ones my toy to play with whenever I want.

I think anyone thats thinking of running 2 cars to save moneys stupid frankly, unless you do 50k+ miles a year to make the save even worth it you may as well just sell what you've got and get a more economical/fun car in the first place.

Agree with the above.

However running a derv daily is bliss, it's saving me a fortune in tax, insurance and fuel as I do heavy milage.

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I justify it to myself in this way:

If i had to have one car, it would be an e46 M3, which would cost me £500 a month in fuel alone.

By having the derv, my fuel bill is £250 a month.

That £250 i save easily covers the running costs of the Trophy.

Man maths = winner.

:approve:

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I have a car and a 125cc bike which costs peanuts to run. It cost me £700 inc the bike, CBT, gear and insurance and I made that back in 5 months in fuel savings. Now it costs me £12 every 2 weeks to do 250 miles

I used to get 95-100mpg from my YBR 125, it was great money wise, but not a lot of fun. I now get 58ish mpg from my SV650. I save £15-£17 per week by taking the bike instead of the car, so that covers running the bike (Tax £70, insurance £90, M.O.T. £25) plus helps towards the money I spent on passing my test, new riding gear and anything the bike needs.

It's not a short term gain, but that was never the point, I can leave work when I want now, I don't have to plan my time around traffic.

I only have a car for ferrying the kids around when my wife is at work and for when it snows and taking the bike isn't the best idea. My wife is looking to get a job close to home where she doesn't need to use her car, if she does, one of our cars will be gone.

Clio 182, Megane R26
I run 2 cars. Use the 182 for track days and it's semi-stripped but still very good on road. Did run a sensible Focus Titanium TDCI alongside, good car but - yawn:boring:. Felt that I was missing out on driving something that was fun and interesting on a daily basis. Did the sensible thing and bought another Renaultsport! Yes it costs a bit more, but insurance is lower for old folk like me. I service and mod them when things want replacing myself to keep costs down + drive like Miss Daisy for the most part!