ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RUK recall letter received today?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I got one of these through today, I don't really want the Renault monkeys touching my car,
does anyone know if they'll give you the part to fit yourself?

It's extremely doubtful as they'll want a trained Renault technician to change it , not Joe Bloggs off the street . If they're offering to change it FOC it's a no brainer to me , just get it done .

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I've just read the letter as I only scanned it this morning because I knew what it was,
well at least I thought I did, 'The cost to you will be no more than £95 inc VAT' cheeky f*ckers!!!!

They replaced it for free 5 years ago.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I just got this letter today... Thinking I won't bother as the catch looks fine to me and moves freely:

2013-03-25 20.37.17.jpg

2013-03-25 20.37.28.jpg

Anyone had any experience with the latches they have replaced?

I'm thinking ignoring the letter and apply some oil and silicone spray...

Clio 172 cup
We have had 2 letters in the post. One for my car and one for the missus....
her letter ( recieved a month ago) says its all free of charge and mine ( received today!) says checked for free and a charge of up to £95 to have it replaced. That's hardly fair!!!

Clio 182 FF
Also got one of these today for the road car. Struggling to understand what actually fails on the latch? I don't understand how lubricating a bonnet latch is going to stop the bonnet flying open...?

It says a have to pay £95 for a new latch should it need it, this a definate or can you blag for a free one in the event that it needs one?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Also got one of these today for the road car. Struggling to understand what actually fails on the latch? I don't understand how lubricating a bonnet latch is going to stop the bonnet flying open...?

It says a have to pay £95 for a new latch should it need it, this a definate or can you blag for a free one in the event that it needs one?

Pretty much that in extreme cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182 FF
I see, so if it's not lubricated to move freely it doesn't locate properly when you shut the bonnet.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've had about 5 of these letter's but alas it was all too late for me:

14745_1262503797217_287224_n.jpg

14745_1262503917220_824078_n.jpg

I'm sure they offered free replacements not long back. Also appeared on watchdog.

[video=vimeo;9758089]http://vimeo.com/9758089[/video]

Last edited:

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Looks bad :(. Catch is rusty as anything though!

On myrenault there is a video on how to maintain the latch. It's all obvious stuff though, spray oil, work it in. Then spray silicone lube to protect it.

Also sell both products for about £9 delivered on there.

I have my car booked in tomorrow to be looked at. How do Renault decide which cars are eligible to have the bonnet catch replaced for free whilst some are not? Mine is an 05 plate if anybody knows?

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
I have my car booked in tomorrow to be looked at. How do Renault decide which cars are eligible to have the bonnet catch replaced for free whilst some are not? Mine is an 05 plate if anybody knows?

If it's been done before unless your dealer has mechs that are top lads!

1.2 clio
I got the letter and booked it in for today. The nice man at renault came over after 20mins to tell me it's looking a bit rusty it will need a new one would you like them to start on it. It will coast you (wait for it....... ) 105 pounds fitted. Long pause from me. Sorry 105 pounds I said to the man as a joke is it made from solid gold. I thought this was free ? Oh no if it was free everyone would be getting it he said :s. I'm really confused are Renault in aldershot just plain stupid or am I missing something here guys. It's a recall item meaning its there fault so it's free for me?. Do I try another Renault garage ?

2002 clio 1.2dynamic
just rang my local reno aparently my car never got the orignal recall in the first place but they wont book it in without a letter so im hoping i get one damn fast

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I got the letter and booked it in for today. The nice man at renault came over after 20mins to tell me it's looking a bit rusty it will need a new one would you like them to start on it. It will coast you (wait for it....... ) 105 pounds fitted. Long pause from me. Sorry 105 pounds I said to the man as a joke is it made from solid gold. I thought this was free ? Oh no if it was free everyone would be getting it he said :s. I'm really confused are Renault in aldershot just plain stupid or am I missing something here guys. It's a recall item meaning its there fault so it's free for me?. Do I try another Renault garage ?

Have you got a picture of it? I'm curious as to how bad it looks...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
just rang my local reno aparently my car never got the orignal recall in the first place but they wont book it in without a letter so im hoping i get one damn fast
If you know for sure it wasn't recalled and change back in 2007/08 when they first recalled them , you could always ring Renault Customer services and tell them you're concerned there might be a problem with your catch ;) Maybe that'll help speed up getting a letter out to you ? Worth a try for a 5 minute phonecall .

Ren Cust service tel : 08000 723 372

koi

Audi S1
Mine was replaced foc last week. My bro took it down for me so not had a chance to actually check it.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
So has anyone actually had it replaced for free recently?

Had mine replaced about 5 weeks ago , FOC :D . My letter stated it would be checked and replaced FOC , as it hadn't been changed in the first round of recalls back in 2007/08 . If your letter mentions that there will be a charge of £95.00 plus VAT then it was already done at an earlier date .

Last edited:
  RS Clio 182
EFA :p

on topic though i have just received my letter, but replaced the bonnet catch myself not too long back and it is regularly maintained so I will pretty much just be going for a health check at some point

Imagine its easy to change, How much did the parts cost?

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
I had one of these earlier this week,and ive got a ph1.....and do i really need it?,plus the letter states i might have to pay £95 quid!!!!..Think i might take my chances,have owned the car for 4yrs so far.

2002 clio 1.2dynamic
If you know for sure it wasn't recalled and change back in 2007/08 when they first recalled them , you could always ring Renault Customer services and tell them you're concerned there might be a problem with your catch ;) Maybe that'll help speed up getting a letter out to you ? Worth a try for a 5 minute phonecall .

Ren Cust service tel : 08000 723 372

thanks for that ill ring them on tuesday get it sorted

182 & 172 Tracktool
Got mine done this morning at the local Renault dealer.
Bonnet catch and lock free of charge without any problem.

182 Cup
Had my letter through, must have been done at some point as it mentions a charge. Lock seems okay to me so won't be going.

Ive now had 2 letters, one for the ph1 which doesnt exsist and the other for my ph2.

the ph2 wont be getting done, aerocatches ftw!

Haha, my mate took his 172 cup down with aerocatches just for a laugh.

Got mine today, the post lady was telling me how serious of a problem it is whilst I signed for the letter. My 172 was crushed about 3 years ago, nice to see Renault check their records.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I got one the other day and booked it in for later on this month. How many people have had to pay the £95 the quote on the letter?