ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RUK recall letter received today?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone else received one of theses today about the bonnet catch?

Thought this was old news now, the car had a sticker on saying it was done back in 2005 anyway.

Seemed a little strange as this was all dealt with many years ago when the issue first arose.

Austin

I feel left out :(. How would I get a letter, how would Renault know I own the car?

My bonnet catch needs attention, could I jet take it to my local dealer?

I took mine to a dealer and they just had a search on the system, confirmed it hadn't been done and booked it in - no letter needed.

Edit: though I'm sure there's a fair chance that some dealers wouldn't be as accommodating if you don't have the letter.

Lou

I just picked mine up from post office as it was sent recorded delivery and I wasn't in yesterday. I'm sure I spotted a sticker beside the bonnet catch on my LY when I bought it! Will need to look again!

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I got mine yesterday.. No idea if its been done. I will call on Monday to find out.

Free, it's a recall.

Awesome, my catch is playing up.
8444405327_637ec914c8_b.jpg

How much was it too booked in and done?

Free - it's a warranty recall.

IIRC the first time the letters started appearing (mine was dated 2007/2008 IIRC on my old 182) though it was clearly a clio-wide product recall and would be replaced free under warranty Renault blamed the failure on "improper maintainence" - I wonder if they'd try to use this excuse on anyone who's already had it replaced?

It's fairly obvious if it's been replaced as it's very, very, very shiney.

Free - it's a warranty recall.

IIRC the first time the letters started appearing (mine was dated 2007/2008 IIRC on my old 182) though it was clearly a clio-wide product recall and would be replaced free under warranty Renault blamed the failure on "improper maintainence" - I wonder if they'd try to use this excuse on anyone who's already had it replaced?

It's fairly obvious if it's been replaced as it's very, very, very shiney.

Yeah i remember cos i went to sit my driving test in my PH1 Clio and got turned down as they had a re-call,

Thanks guyss

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
They blame it on poor maintenance because if they conceded it was a design fault then they could be held liable for any accidents.

ask any manufacturer, no car made anywhere in the world by anyone has ever had a common fault

O

Oakley12

Could I ring my local dealer and ask to check on the system if mines been done? The car originally came from Bournemouth/Southampton...

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Even if you have had one before Renault would like to check/clean and lube your catches and fit a maintanance sticker. If the catch needs changing and you have had one before its now chargeable iirc. I done 3 recalls this morning.

Golf GTD Mk7
Got one on Monday. I'm sure mine was done ages ago. Don't they just grease the spring and release mech?

Even if you have had one before Renault would like to check/clean and lube your catches and fit a maintanance sticker. If the catch needs changing and you have had one before its now chargeable iirc. I done 3 recalls this morning.

This.

I rang up about the catch on my derv as its rusted pretty bad. They tell me it's been done and it £59 if its the bottom part and £89 if its both. Fixed prices apparently.

They blame it on poor maintenance because if they conceded it was a design fault then they could be held liable for any accidents.

Yes but if you're (I don't mean you personally of course) sticking to that argument (which as you say every car manufacturer would) then they can only blame the first one on poor maintainence, and possibly charge for subsequent ones, like this example...

They tell me it's been done and it £59 if its the bottom part and £89 if its both. Fixed prices apparently.

Richmond Renault (central Southampton) were still able to look mine up on their system by registration plate even though it didn't come from them - of course this was several years ago so things may have changed (haven't got round to the bonnet catch on my current Clio as I've got much bigger problems :( )

Could I ring my local dealer and ask to check on the system if mines been done? The car originally came from Bournemouth/Southampton...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I got my original recall letter back in 2008 and just ignored it , i've always kept it well lubricated myself . I got another letter on Thursday saying take it to a dealership immediately . So i bit the bullet this time and rang up and booked it in . The corrective action might only actually be that " they " lubricate it " , not replace the catch . I rang RUK just to see what they said and they cofirmed this . They'll check if the bonnet catch is working properly , if it is the dealership will lubricate it . They'll only replace it if the find that there is an issue with it . Whatever action they do take , either lubricate it or replace it will be free of charge . As i've never had a problem with mine ( touch wood ) i'll put money on it they just lubricate it .

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Renault trying to end the free fix as far as I can tell. Basically a "this is your last chance" letter

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
If you look under the bonnet & theres a sticker that has a grid with A4 box ticked or crossed then its been done-

however do it again.

S

Ph 1 172
Never had mine done just followed ruk advice when this came about of keeping it clean and lubed......

To be honest if they are charging £85 for both parts now I'd rather get bonnet catches

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Never had mine done just followed ruk advice when this came about of keeping it clean and lubed......

To be honest if they are charging £85 for both parts now I'd rather get bonnet catches

They're actually really easy to keep working. It's always part of a service when I do it. takes about 1 minute to lube the moving parts and work them back and forth a few times.

BG V6 IL V6 172cup
had a letter on thursday for the 182, wonder if i get another one on the vee come through both 05?

182 FF, A6 Avant
I've had mine replaced about 18 months ago. Over winter though it's been f**king me around and refusing to lock properly. Not had a letter yet but I will try and get it in again.