ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSTuner 172/182 98RON Map?

Hello,

Hoping someone can answer this..

I've just purchased a 2nd hand RSTuner, which came with a 98RON map, used on a 182.

My question is; will this map work on my 172?

Or is it a different map?

Cheers!

Andrew

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hi

You just got a second hand Tuner?

In that case you need to apply for an Unlock code from fastchip.nl

Also that Map which is for a 182 Properly wont work on your 172 unless you have a 172 with a 182 ECU (later 172's had this such as my 2004 plate 172)

So yes, Your going to need an unlock code and a new map.

Henk @ fastchip is the one to tell you though

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, mines 2003, so I maybe lucky :D

I did drop him a mail the other day, but didn't get a reply :(

I'll try emailing him again now.

Cheers

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
How did the tuner come with a map? the map is file from your computer? isn't the tuner just a box that links the pc to the car to allow it download?
When I bought my tuner, I had to buy an unlock code and a map.....

Willo

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
The Map file wont be correct for your ECU.

You will need to first unlock your Box to work with the car.
Thats you ordering an Unlock code with a VCI code you pull from the RStuner. (you email henk a pic once you have paid the unlock code fee)

He will then supply a code to enter to enable you to read and copy your ECU firmware.

You then send this off to henk again / send him a screenshot.

he will then send you the correct file to write to your ECU.

There is no Shortcuts with this.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Op this is covered a lot.

Buy tuner.
Buy unlock code
Buy map or aquire correct map for your specific car.

Use the tuner and then sell to recoup most the money back.

Done

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
map will work fine if you have the drive by wire version and it is the old 'unlocked' map. you will need a copy of the cal and the full ECU though to bring it upto 8200. you can tell if the map is locked as the original filename is 'EL' followed by a number in it. of course you don't know if the seller has renamed it! if it is a locked map, then your car wont work at all after writing the cal, so make sure you do a full ecu backup first!!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
The Map file wont be correct for your ECU.

You will need to first unlock your Box to work with the car.
Thats you ordering an Unlock code with a VCI code you pull from the RStuner. (you email henk a pic once you have paid the unlock code fee)

He will then supply a code to enter to enable you to read and copy your ECU firmware.

You then send this off to henk again / send him a screenshot.

he will then send you the correct file to write to your ECU.

There is no Shortcuts with this.
actually there is if you have the old map version ;)

Cliosport 172 cu
So really then if you buy a tuner and the seller supplies you with a map file you can use it as I've got a map file which was used on a 172 but the box I've got its kinda new not a old one

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
AFAIK you need to send a screenshot of your ECU Firmware to Henk and he will send the correct map. But that's what i did and others may know different.

Too much confusion in here.

Old style tuner and map used to be able to be shared. It now gets locked out regardless via the unlock code you require.

Best thing to do is contact henk direct with questions or buy the unlock code and correct calibration from the fastchip website

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Too much confusion in here.

Old style tuner and map used to be able to be shared. It now gets locked out regardless via the unlock code you require.
that's either worded a bit confusingly or wrong; there is an older 'unlocked' version of the RON98 map that can be shared that works with newer firmware VCI's and 8200 base maps (also able to be shared). I know this because I have it and i'm last years VCI firmware release. However I don't think it works for 172 cable throttles, although I have never tried. All newer maps with 'EL_XXXX' where XXXX is a number are ECU locked and will only work on 1 ECU. I 100% agree that if he doesn't want to take the risk, then contact fastchip (although if he makes a full ECU backup, there shouldn't be any risk other than the normal write fail risk which could breezeblock your ECU)! If the base map on the car is already 8200, then the 8200 unlock cal would work fine.