ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSI help needed re:wheels

Clio RSI 1.8
Hi I bought my RSi pretty cheap, with full MOT etc, nice little runner, however the wheels that it came with are not orginals. Anyway to cut a long story short, they seem to have a real bad effect on the car, they are nice wheels, TSW 15in, but the car feels wobbly, follows the road real bad, and every single bump seems to take the steering off with it.

Have taken it to Renault who said there is nothing wrong with the car in general, but the wheels cause all my problems. Is this right, do I need to change my wheels back to the originals???

This is my first car so although i am trying to learn, I don't want to make many more expensive mistakes buying stuff i don't need, so please help.....

I need to know about RSI's, the best kind of wheels/tyres, and what usually causes cars to steer with every little bump on its own. I thought the wheels/tyres i have seemed ok., but then i really don't know anything about cars. lol

I've been told loads of different stuff and I know the track rod ends (OR something) apparently need replacing.....would that cause this problem?

All advice gratefully recevied, Thanks,

audi a3 1.8t sport
if the wheels are the rong off set and are to wide the car will tram line (follow bumps in the road) the right off set for the car is et36 and you dont want to bigger than 16" because the handaling goes all to pot

Chelsea tractor
I don't think the offset would have anything to do with it mate, more the tyre width/hardness/grip.

clio rsi and r5 gtx
I have 195/45/15's on my RSi and it does tramline a bit but handles really well get your tracking done and get the wheels balanced as said in an earlyer post.

audi a3 1.8t sport
I don't think the offset would have anything to do with it mate, more the tyre width/hardness/grip.
if the wheels are sitting out to far from the car then the unsprung waight is high and when the car hits a bump it throws the wheel about it will also make the steering very twitchy