ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rough running - possible misfire?

Clio 182 ('Crystal')
Hi all, new here so thanks in advance for the help :)

I just bought a 2000 1.4 16 valve Clio a couple of weeks ago and I've since noticed a persistent vibration at idle - every few seconds the engine and car will shake and it sounds like a misfire. Holding the engine at around 1500 rpm produces the same problem but much more obviously. The car pulls fine and doesn't seem hesitant when driving.

Just this morning I've replaced the spark plugs and had a look at the coil connections with no change. I've also pulled each of the coil connections off one by one with the engine running and proved that all four cylinders are firing at least some of the time!

From reading around it seems to be either a coil problem or a fuel injection problem - as both parts are expensive to simply replace and see what happens, anyone got any ideas where would be the best place to start? Would a misfire be caught by the OBD?

Thanks,
Tom