ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rough price of gearbox rebuild parts?

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
This is to anyone who's rebuilt a jc5. My syncros are grinding occasionally in 3rd and 4th, and I'm just trying to weigh up the difference in costs between a used box, or rebuilding the spare box I have with a damaged 5 gear, with new bearings and sychros. Used boxes seem to vary so much in price!

Any really special tools needed, I.e Renault only?

Any advice would be great chaps.

182cup & 172 racecar
These guys will do it, all parts on the shelf.

Agency Transmissions
Unit 17k
Shrub Hill
Worcester
WR4 9EL
01905 24896 (Martin)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Decent second hand boxes are around £250quid depending on mileage, you'll probably spend that at Agency,
but at least you'll know it won't go wrong unlike a second hand one you have no knowledge of.

Although the box i'm using was from a breakers last year and that's a strong one, but it's a bit of a lottery.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
if you just have a damaged fifth in the spare, thats usually an easy fix, just remove the end cap and get a decent 5th gear and synchro and slap it in. provided rest of the box is in good nick you should be laughing

i have been through many many used boxes, and the phase 1 172 boxes are coming into season now, as in they can be had for not much money if you look about and they are generally pretty decent boxes. last one i had came with an engine so cost me next to nothing, had done 81k but no history and its still going now on my mk 1 clio turbo that i use for track days and santa pod and pushes 300bhp nearly

however, main reason i risk second hand boxes is i can swap them myself on the drive in a few hours, if your paying a garage every time...well thats a different kettle of chipmunks.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Forgot to add i'll be doing it myself, so that obviously saves a nice sum of cash. Just wondered if anyone else has bought these parts in the past? I'd be using the 5th gear from my current box.

I've also read that these boxes are very sensitive to the oil they use?