ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rough Idle

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Rightyo, I have a 182 with a decat.

Have noticed that the idle is pretty lumpy but I thought that's just how the Clio's were anyway, it used to be before the decat slightly anyway. I had a cylinder 3 misfire code when I checked a few weeks back and I have since replaced all of my spark plugs and have done oil etc.
The car runs perfectly, seems to pull very strongly and no issues, just when sat on idle you can feel the car shaking slightly?! What would be my next step? New leads? Or is this just normal, its almost sounds like an old lumpy muscle car sometimes or a car on cams. I'm planning on getting it mapped soon so I wonder if that my solve my issue?

Regards,
Mark

106GTI / NovaC20LET
A lot of them tend to be a bit stodgy mate, if it pulls well and is fine under load i wouldn't worry to much. If its really bothering you i'd try swapping the injectors.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
A lot of them tend to be a bit stodgy mate, if it pulls well and is fine under load i wouldn't worry to much. If its really bothering you i'd try swapping the injectors.

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to know people opinions just to make sure. Hmmm, could that be causing it aswell then?

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
I could only feel mine vibrating at idle when it had uprated engine mounts.
Are your engine mounts uprated? If not one could be duff or they could need adjusting??

Flame 172 (Ph2)
I've been using Tesco's 99 RON and didn't notice much or any difference to the idle compared to 95 RON; ran it dry and tried Shell V-Power and its much much smoother at idle. Maybe give that a go if you're running standard RON stuff?

Alot of people say the 98 RON map from an RSTuner helps smooth out the idle too (when running 98 RON and above).

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Is it slightly misfiring and coughing/spluttering when idling or just shaking the car?

Do you know anyone local that has a 1*2? If so could be worth calling in a favour and borrowing his injectors for a couple of mins to see if that sorts it. could also be very cheeky and pinch his coil pack and leads for similar test. Its a much cheaper way of diagnosing problems than buying coil pack, leads, tdc sensor etc etc. can end up costing hundreds and not even fixing the problem.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I was run it on either V-power or Tesco 99ron stuff. I don't have solid engine mounts. Not ever having owned a car with a misfire I'm not sure Id know if I heard one?? It's just sounds like an old muscle car on idle when your sat at lights, I might get a video. Also, K-tec did me a full cambelt and dephaser change on it back in March, might be worth noting?

Last edited:
  106GTI / NovaC20LET
Let the car warm up then go to back of car and listen at the exhaust for small popping noises from the exhaust. pop... Pop pop .... Pop..... etc. probably won't be very loud so listen carefully lol. If it is doing that id say injectors but don't hold me to that as it could be anything.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Its not to aggressive that mate i've heard a lot worse. If you can live with it i wouldn't worry to much, if not its gonna be trial and error swapping parts im afraid in less it shows up on a diagnostics? You mentioned a misfire on cylinder 3? that what got me thinking injectors. Could try source a cheap set from cliospares or somewhere similar or as i said before buy someone a few pints and see if you can test some parts.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Its not to aggressive that mate i've heard a lot worse. If you can live with it i wouldn't worry to much, if not its gonna be trial and error swapping parts im afraid in less it shows up on a diagnostics? You mentioned a misfire on cylinder 3? that what got me thinking injectors. Could try source a cheap set from cliospares or somewhere similar or as i said before buy someone a few pints and see if you can test some parts.

Yeah it does get worse onces it warmed up though, may possibly get a video once I've driven it for abit maybe? I may be being paranoid. Yeah my emission light came on one day, then would go off, then flick back on a few days later regardless of my decat, it did it with the cat in also, so I got it checked. It has cylinder 3 misfire, changed the plugs and its yet to come back on, the lumpy idle doesn't seem to of changed since though.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Been out and given it a good run, as I said car pulls very strong still and runs fine, just rough idle. Sat there with it on the drive and pulled the leads out one by one and every one made a massive difference to it so maybe it isnt misfiring then?? Might change once I have it mapped?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't sound too bad. Mine was similar on idle. You'd notice a misfire under heavy load 100% so I'd say it is just a lumpier idle than most. Alot of people who got in mine thought there was something wrong... 'Why does your car sound like it wants to stall all the time?'..

'Because 182 b*tch.'

Liquid Yellow 182 FF

Here's it after a good hooning session this afternoon. Yeah some people say its sound nice lol, others say it sounds broken. "Because Race Car"

Last edited by a moderator:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm. Mine wasn't 'jumping' as frequent as that. But then again mine only had a sports cat and not a de-cat.

Like I said mine sounded exactly the same, but not as frequent. Although I've heard other 182's on idle that made me think mine was broke. I'd go along with if it is still pulling perfectly then I wouldn't let the idle bother me.

Edit: From the front it sounds exactly the same as mine did, 100%.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Hmmm. Mine wasn't 'jumping' as frequent as that. But then again mine only had a sports cat and not a de-cat.

Like I said mine sounded exactly the same, but not as frequent. Although I've heard other 182's on idle that made me think mine was broke. I'd go along with if it is still pulling perfectly then I wouldn't let the idle bother me.

Edit: From the front it sounds exactly the same as mine did, 100%.

Maybe mines just a lumpy fucker due to the decat then?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Got an RS tuner on standby so should get it mapped this weekend maybe, we shall see :D

M2 Comp
Sorry for the bump...!

@MDP91, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I am having exactly the same problem as you and I notice we both have the same exhaust..

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Sorry for the bump...!

@MDP91, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I am having exactly the same problem as you and I notice we both have the same exhaust..

Having it mapped helped slightly, but came to realise the 182's idle rough anyway, especially decatted.

M2 Comp
Having it mapped helped slightly, but came to realise the 182's idle rough anyway, especially decatted.

Just about to load on the RSTuner map this morning, wasn't expecting much of an improvement, but thought it's worth a try.

I'm thinking it's just a normal lumpy 182 idle and this particular exhaust just emphasises it.