ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ron 98 map for 182 request

BG 182 FF
Just wondering where's best to get this file? Iv just got an old RS Tuner and need the right 182 map.

Cheers.

BG 182 FF
I didn't realise you could buy them direct from fast chip. Ill look into that now

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Have you bought a licence from Fastchip to get the unit unlocked?

Second hand ones are locked to the original owners car and won't work on any other.

BG 182 FF
No it's currently locked. What information do I send to fast chip in order to unlock the unit?

BG 182 FF
Cheers! Should be sorted by Saturday iv not got the unit just yet, it's still in the post

BG 182 FF
Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later, I'm prepared to wait a few days though. Is the fault code element of the device as accurate and in depth as a diagnostics machine at a garage? Also does the Ron 98 map make much difference? Iv mostly got it for the raised idle and the fault code reader.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The diagnostics on it is excellent IMHO, but it depends which garage one specifically you are comparing to as they vary a lot.

The map drives far better, really gets rid of the 4.5K hole (which is what people should call the "5k kick")

BG 182 FF
Excellent. Iv had the engine management light come on twice in the past 2 months, only when it's sat still ticking over for a long period of time (15 mins or so) so I'm hoping it may tell me what that is.

BG 182 FF
Oh and it's a bit of a lumpy tick over, the rpm needle doesn't go up or down or anything it's just a bit lumpy when sat still, so fingers crossed the raised idle will help.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes thats normal for one of these cars now they are a little older, for the idle to hunt slightly, raising it normally sorts it completely.

BG 182 FF
That's good to know, cheers chip. Ill keep this thread updated and let you all know how I get on.

172 Cup
On my old Trophy I used my rs tuner to put the 98ron map on, i remember having to find the correct download off the fastchip site as their were a few to choose from based on the ecu software are calibration number or something like that, at a cost of 10Euro. Just had a look now and their just seems to be the one performance calibration for the clio 2. I take it this is a new version and the one i need to download for my new 172 cup?

172 cup
Well to throw a spanner in the works, but when I used the rs tuner on my cup I was told on here and by the rs tuner software I needed a 7300 map for the 172 cup. Henk sent me a 8200 182 map, which I questioned him about as I got the don't upload warning on the laptop. However he said do it and it worked fine. Confused me a bit?

172 Cup
Yes thats what i thought, you had to determine which download you needed for your specific vehicle like it explains in the manual. I remember their used to be a whole page of different downloads each one 10Euro, now it just seems to be the one download option, performance calibration for the clio 2?

BG 182 FF
Ok I'm stuck at the first hurdle! I've signed up to fastchip.nl in order to access the downloads section. I've signed up but haven't received the activation email. This is so i can download the fast chip software to my laptop in order to proceed on getting the RSTuner unlocked. Anyone else have to wait long for their activation email?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes thats what i thought, you had to determine which download you needed for your specific vehicle like it explains in the manual. I remember their used to be a whole page of different downloads each one 10Euro, now it just seems to be the one download option, performance calibration for the clio 2?
Last one I got he wanted a screenshot showing the software version etc, he never used to do that, so I assume he is now choosing the cal for you so only needs to list one option?

Clio 182 FF
Last one I got he wanted a screenshot showing the software version etc, he never used to do that, so I assume he is now choosing the cal for you so only needs to list one option?
That's what he did with me. Think he'd had some muppets upload the wrong file to their ECU, and then coming moaning to him when they'd bricked it, so now he's being careful.

Whilst we're on about mapping with the RS Tuner... what calibration software can be used to create and output a map that the RS Tuner will be happy to upload?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That's what he did with me. Think he'd had some muppets upload the wrong file to their ECU, and then coming moaning to him when they'd bricked it, so now he's being careful.

Whilst we're on about mapping with the RS Tuner... what calibration software can be used to create and output a map that the RS Tuner will be happy to upload?

What im not sure is if the checksum is in the cal file, or if the rs tuner calculates it and writes it, if its in the cal file, then you are going to need to know that checksum to write your own version.

Actually editing the file itself im sure you could do in WINOLS or similar, or just man up and use a hex editor!

172 Cup
Ok, so i put the new cal file on the car yesterday, went for a 10min drive, all seemed good apart from it started stalling when pulling up to junctions etc. Idle is not great and if you blip the throttle it will drop very low and occasionally stall. The idle was bad before the new cal file was uploaded, i can only presume the throttle body just needs a good clean. Its just that it never stalled before the remap. Any advice appreciated, cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Generally the RS Tuner files make idles better not worse, but if you have an underlying problem really it would have been best practice to fix that first.

I would go back to your original files (I assume you kept a backup) and try and fix the throttle issue there if that file wasnt stalling it, then try the modified one once you have it working.

Possibly (im making a guess as Ive not had this issue myself) just the action of applying the map might have altered things though as it will have aquired new throttle limits etc.
So even if you go back to the old file, you may still have the issue.

172 Cup
Yes i did a read of the original cal file so i can always go back to that. Initially on start up the idle seemed good as if the map had fixed the problem, but after the drive it was awful. I will have a tinker with it later today see if the idle issues are still present.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is some learning on the idle side of things, and dont forget that from cold it will hold a higher idle anyway.

You might find it rectifies itself if you keep driving it, but as the issue was there before, im not massively hopeful that will be the case.

No, it is 6500

What was your originalfile which you made copies of 6400 or 7300

All the cups i have done for some reason you only write the cal with 7300_5E10_STG1_RON98 no need for update software.

Non cups have the 6500 update software and 6500_5E11_STG1_RON98

The above are 172 only

172 Cup
The original was something like 6500_5E04 and the performance cal file henk sent me was 6500_5404

First cup i have come across running 6500 :)

Cal is fine then, i originally thought you may have had the wrong cal/software.

Something isn't right and i reckon the new map has made the problem more apparent, as Chip mentioned earlier revert back to standard and see if it still happens.

172 Cup
Yeh, its definitely the right cal file. Car performance felt so much better. Anyway i had the throttle body off before gave it a good clean (was filthy) Idle seemed good, had it running for about 5mins on the drive, found the idle fairly quick after revving. So fingers crossed it doesnt happen again.

Clio 182 FF
What im not sure is if the checksum is in the cal file, or if the rs tuner calculates it and writes it, if its in the cal file, then you are going to need to know that checksum to write your own version.

Actually editing the file itself im sure you could do in WINOLS or similar, or just man up and use a hex editor!
Got the CAL open in hexedit... first 16bytes say RSTUNERENCRYPTED lol :p :D.

I just saw this on Henk's website: RSTuner Suite - RSTuner Suite is PC based software that enables you to make changes to the ECU maps (self-tuning).

Might drop him an email sometime.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is yours a newer one? It's the older ones I was referring to. The cal files appear to be a lot rawer although I only had a quick glance.