ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roll Caged 172 Cup

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
A few of you may have read the thread on the roll cages going for a very good price....

Well I put it into day along with the ITG Induction Kit

It wasn't a hard job, took me about 3-4 hours

1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

ITG FTW

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Yeah, just used High Tensile Bolts. Thought about weld but I'll prob take it out "if" I ever sell the car

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Did it make much difference to your insurance?

I found that some insurers really don't like cages.. I wonder why that is lol. Not something you can get away with not declaring either as its not exactly subtle :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Looks good, but as Atouba said - hope you never have to test it. I watched the pikes peak video on here, and it was only the quality of the cage that saved them.

I think the Safety Devices stickers are a bit like putting an m-badge on an non m BMW, but each to their own mate. Also, I'm confused why there are Sparco stickers on the back of Bimarco futura seats?

Despite all that, very tidy cup, me likey :)

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Looks good, what did you do just drill holes in the floor and the arches to fit the bolts?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I think the Safety Devices stickers are a bit like putting an m-badge on an non m BMW

IMO hiding the fact it's an non FIA, MSA approved quality cage with a sticker from a respected roll cage company.

"Aaaah so you bought your cage from SD"

"Erm......... Yeah... No...... Looks good dunnit"

Its not a Safety Devices cage so IMO they shouldn't be on there

Yes, it looks good, but looks won't save you in the unfortunate event of an accident :eek: God forbid it should ever happen

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
IMO hiding the fact it's an non FIA, MSA approved quality cage with a sticker from a respected roll cage company.

"Aaaah so you bought your cage from SD"

"Erm......... Yeah... No...... Looks good dunnit"

Its not a Safety Devices cage so IMO they shouldn't be on there

Yes, it looks good, but looks won't save you in the unfortunate event of an accident :eek: God forbid it should ever happen

I agree. I could tell straight away that it wasn't/ isn't a SD cage.

Oh and why have you got Sparco stickers on the back of your Bimarco seats? :S

Tidy looking cup mind.

Ph1 T
Clean car been looking at gettin one of these cages,

But yeah why does it say sparco on the back of futuras

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Isn't even a 'scarily thin' tubed roll cage better than none at all?

looks awesome btw.

In a side impact because it has just been bolted to the floor not had a plate welded on first I wouldnt be surprised if the heads just pulled through the metal of the car, but TBH it would still absorb a fair bit of energy first in doing so.
If it rolls over then Im sure it will be better than without it, its triangulated etc so going to be a fair bit stiffer whether its a "proper one" or not.

In a head on, it will obviously do nothing useful at all.

If he bounces his head off the centre bar he risks injury, it should be padded.

I cant see it doing any real harm realistically, and it might do a slight bit of good but TBH these are relatively strong cars in a roll anyway, and TBH its pretty rare they go over in the first place, more likely to bounce off something than roll really.

The fake SD stickers are just horrific, so tacky!

Isn't even a 'scarily thin' tubed roll cage better than none at all?

looks awesome btw.

No - not at all
I've seen the cheap, thin cages that people fit for some bizarre "styling" reason actually split in a roll and go into people.
The last thing you really want if you flip your car is metal that's so thin it will split leaving you a nice sharp edge

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No - not at all
I've seen the cheap, thin cages that people fit for some bizarre "styling" reason actually split in a roll and go into people.
The last thing you really want if you flip your car is metal that's so thin it will split leaving you a nice sharp edge

Providing its CDS, I dont think that will be a significant risk at all, you are probably thinking of ally "show" cages?