ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rojer's 182

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Just a heads up, you have the rear springs upside down.

The adjusters goes at the top.

Seriously?! Guess that's another job then, if the weather is decent at the weekend im going to have a look and adjust myself. Atm i have an issue with the temp gauge doing it's own thing.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. If you have a look at the writing on the springs, it'll be upside down.

They should look like this:

2017-07-12_10-25-23.jpg
2017-07-12_10-25-16.jpg

172 Turbo
20170705_111738-jpg.jpg

If you look at the above and the below

20170708_151139-jpg.jpg

The adjusters have moved and settled in a weird position, probably giving you the odd feeling

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
If you look at the above and the below

The adjusters have moved and settled in a weird position, probably giving you the odd feeling

Its probably because the adjusters are upside down. I think i also have some spare washers left over that came with the kit. I'll get a picture and hopefully someone can tell me what they are for.

172 Turbo
Yeah, the adjuster is probably moving around on the bottom mount.

I think all other kits go the other way, Billies usually go this way apart from on certain models!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. If you have a look at the writing on the springs, it'll be upside down.

They should look like this:

View attachment 193540 View attachment 193541

Mark, is there any reason why they are supposed to go that way. Did Bilstein say that? I was thinking it might be because the way the spring is.

Anyways been a busy night, on the way home got a call from Kev and he told me to come to the shop. Stopped by after work and we got it on the ramp, swapped the rear springs round and lowered them all the way. Then at the front lowered it around 10 turns. Took it for a spin and OMG sooooooooo much better, can't believe it! The dampers must of been at the top of their stroke and that was the problem. The front can probably go a bit lower so i will wait for a proper setup next week. Got a couple of pictures of how the wheels are sitting now.

Also been having issues with my temp gauge and tonight it just dropped to zero and you try to accelerate and the car wouldn't go anywhere just bogged down and was braking itself. I pulled over and everything looked OK, gave the coolant sensor wires a bit of a wiggle and so far all good. I have already ordered a new sensor and stat which will be here tomorrow so that should fix that.

20170712_182241.jpg
20170712_191534.jpg
20170712_191539.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Happy days buddy!! Glad it's much better now. It did seem odd as I've never heard or felt the billies being stiff.

As for the way the springs are, it's just how bilstein designed them. Not sure why. I "think " KW ones are the same, with the adjusters at the top.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Happy days buddy!! Glad it's much better now. It did seem odd as I've never heard or felt the billies being stiff.

As for the way the springs are, it's just how bilstein designed them. Not sure why. I "think " KW ones are the same, with the adjusters at the top.

I couldn't work out which way the adjusters went on my KW's but it was too high with them in anyway so never fitted them.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to hear you're getting somewhere now with this, good stuff.......... car looks a nice height in those new photos

Thanks Steve. Think i might take the rear adjusters out to get some more lows, not sure how much lower the front can go without causing issues. Need some diff wheels to get it sitting 100%

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I took my adjusters out but left the platform and rubber in. Sits perfect imo.

The adjusters make it a tad high.

I took mine out and just had a rubber thing on top and bottom of the spring but it was just a touch too low and would scrape on the arch on certain speed bumps. I've just got 2 rubber things at the top of the spring and one below and it's loads better.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Been an interesting weekend, drama never seems to be too far away from me lol. Yesterday took a trip down to Poole Lexus. Ended up buying this...

20170715_154318.jpg

For any one interested its a IS 300h with a ton of goodies on it, really nice car. It's not my car lol it's my parents, i finally convinced them that Jap is the way forward ;) after many years in Mercs and Bms. I have given them some money towards it to help them out and i will be on the insurance hopefully so can take it down to work and save the Clio!

With news on my car i had an issue with the temp gauge dropping off randomly and affecting the car, also had a slight leak from the thermostat housing. Today i set about sorting that.
20170715_100952.jpg
20170713_100126.jpg

New bits ready to go, took off the top rad hose and could see why i might have a little leak.

20170716_105950 (1).jpg

Took a wire brush to the housing and cleaned it up all nice :) Changed the thermostat and sensor and then bled it up.
20170716_110933.jpg

The car seemed to run alot better from cold, not as lumpy which is something i wasn't expecting. After i done that my friend called me and picked me up to go to Gravity in Coventry. Some really nice cars there today. Saw a couple of Renault's and few other French cars which is always nice. Didn't get many photos tho, i was too busy just walking around.

20170716_132127.jpg

After we left the show we had a bit of an issue, my mates 3 series is so low and we had to park on grass so it ended up being a lawnmower. We did clear the grass out before we left, but shortly after we left we were flashed to pull over and alot of smoke. Popped the bonnet and looked underneath and a s**t load of grass was stuck to the exhaust etc and catching fire. Luckily enough we had a little water with us to help and then jacked it up at the side of the road to remove and much as we could. We mate it back home with not much drama. It's such a shame because it was a really mint car when he first bought it, he then lent it to our other mate who crashed it hence the front not being 100% I think he is just fed up and will buy another m3 or 335i.

20170716_130343.jpg

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Been a while since I have updated this, I have had the car setup and it's great. A lot of grip and gives you more confidence in the car. Apart from that I have just been putting fuel in and having fun for now. I think the car will definitely be up for sale soon tho. Last week I drove a Golf R and today I have been looking at new Meganes and drove a Cup S with Ohlins. I did go and see a Trophy but the car was taken off sale when he realised it had been used as a track car by Silverstone. The Trophy interior was so much nicer with some Alcantara bits etc. The amount of Megane sub models is baffling! Not sure how I feel about either tbh, the Golf is typical Golf and doesn't feel that fast. The Megane gives you so much more feel, but I know it would be more of a pain to live with and the interior is not as nice. The Ohlins are awesome tho, even on a bumpy road it was firm, but wasn't too uncomfortable, but down the same road the Golf would destroy it.

Really not sure what to do ATM so many cars available, would like to try a Megane down a bumpy road without Ohlins. Any advice would be good!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Where did you get it set up? Need to get mine done.

Went to Go Racing Motorsport in Aylesbury, the guy there is a ex BTCC engineer for Tim harvey ha.

Right big news, it's official! The Clio is going up for sale today, put a deposit on a new car today and pick it up next week so standby for a new build thread. I have got a new job as well which i start at the end of September so its all change! If anyone is interested let me know as i would like it gone this week ideally.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Good luck with the sale, hopefully won't take long, look forward to seeing what you are replacing with :up: