ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's Glacier White R26 TrackCar, Corbeau, Sabelt, AST'S

S1 Rallye Shed
I've thought about them Adam, wouldn't they just he water against the shock?

Chees, didn't intend to be going down this line with the car when I bought it but the track day bug just won't leave me alone :(. Have you any track days booked?

I could hold water but I was think if you spray them with a silicone spray and then the fit the cover just to stop dirt and grit sticking to the spray.

I got a refund off MSV just not sure what day I can get off to go to a trackday event. But am hopefully gonna be coming down to oulton on the 16th, have a mooch about if the weather decent.

BMW E36 328
I could hold water but I was think if you spray them with a silicone spray and then the fit the cover just to stop dirt and grit sticking to the spray.

I got a refund off MSV just not sure what day I can get off to go to a trackday event. But am hopefully gonna be coming down to oulton on the 16th, have a mooch about if the weather decent.

That could work, spraying the protector on before then putting the coil over covers on. Least they coilovers will have some protection against the water.

Ahh so we're you book on at Oulton for the 16th then? Yeah come down say hello and bring your helmet :).

BMW E36 328
How many times did you use your previous one lol?

You know I used it all the time ;) took it to 4 track days and the ring, used it for about 16 mins in total. I either forgot to charge it up or forgot to start recording lol. I'm determined to get another and actually use it haha.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've made a bar mount for mine now, just need to test it in the day. Tested it last night but it was obviously too dark, had a bit a static noise which is weird too.

Should be good enough for track though.

BMW E36 328
When I had that bar that I made, I found I was getting like a rattling/static noise aswel. Couldn't find where it was coming from at all. Made sure all the mount ect was right but it made no difference at all.

be fine for track. Does the bar go between the two front seats same as mine did?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
When I had that bar that I made, I found I was getting like a rattling/static noise aswel. Couldn't find where it was coming from at all. Made sure all the mount ect was right but it made no difference at all.

be fine for track. Does the bar go between the two front seats same as mine did?

Yeah mate, some 1 inch aluminium tube clamped around a headrest post on each side using u-bolts. It's solid.

The camera doesn't shake inside the housing, so i'm a bit confused. Not too bothered about it though as long as the video is alright.

BMW E36 328
Yeah mate, some 1 inch aluminium tube clamped around a headrest post on each side using u-bolts. It's solid.

The camera doesn't shake inside the housing, so i'm a bit confused. Not too bothered about it though as long as the video is alright.

fixed pretty solid then? I thought it may have been the camera shaking inside the case but it never made the same noise Ann I Lou tex it from there?

unless its picking some vibration up through the seat?

BMW E36 328
It's had to be yeah mate. You get nothing when switching to a different mount. Just use making tape and stick it to the window be fine haha

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Well I'm borrowing a GoPro for the day off Cal (carbon raider). I've still got the mount so I should be ok to get a few sessions on video I think :). Will you be using a GoPro?

hoping too mate but not sure how/where to fix it.

S1 Rallye Shed
fixed pretty solid then? I thought it may have been the camera shaking inside the case but it never made the same noise Ann I Lou tex it from there?

unless its picking some vibration up through the seat?

Yea I was hoping to get it on that day. I'll make sure I bring it with me would be good to see how well they are on track?
Do you need a GoPro as I have mine you could lend on the day?

BMW E36 328
Yea I was hoping to get it on that day. I'll make sure I bring it with me would be good to see how well they are on track?
Do you need a GoPro as I have mine you could lend on the day?

yeah bring your helmet you can come out for some laps :). I may need a GoPro yes I'll let you know nearer the time cheers :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nope. Mark Smith (off here) was at the last day and helped me fabricate a mount for the roll cage which consisted of cable ties and an exhaust clamp, as you do lol. I asked about the windscreen and he said no way (he's a marshall there). Guy in the garage next to us in his m3 tried his luck with one on the roof and the side window albeit outside the car, he soon had to remove them.

BMW E36 328
Ahh right never knew that, i used the sticky mounts the one time unused my GoPro :). Least you can mount your off the cage then?

Self tapper it to the bonnet, will be ok ;)

BMW E36 328
Well that was interesting, it took all of 30 mins to fit the rear in total. Really easy, much easier than the Clio infact.... Took a few pictures along the way,

Only two bolts hold the rear shocks on, one on the chassis leg inside the boot floor......

image_zpsb74f5e65.jpg[/URL

and then on on the rear beam.....

image_zps97568d66.jpg

really easy and and pretty effortless to remove, no bolts were seized or even remotely stuck so everything came off relatively easy. So the standard dampers which have a separate shock and spring are replacer with a complete coilover unit, looks a million times better and hopefully the handling will be the same :)

image_zps1d2a3613.jpg

image_zps357821bc.jpg

image_zpsa437ddd3.jpg

With the rears done we then moved onto the front, thought it would be a nice simple job same as the rear..... How wrong were we. Virtually everything has to come out. But yes of course there had to be one little thing stoping everything else from being removed >>>

[url]http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4651&appid=12

there are two drop links on either side, the drop link that goes from the ARB to the shock was very easy to remove, the stabiliser bar (as shown in the above link) were very tight and seized in. So after 90mins of messing, buzzing, hammering, we gave up for the night. I'm sure the neighbours didn't appreciate the buzz gun still going at 11:30. So we shall carry on tomorrow hopefully with abit more luck.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Jack the hub right up so that the stabiliser bar is horizontal or it won't come out even if you do get the nuts off. I hate the front setup!

Yep, might be good for handling... but terrible to work on. Did that but the issue was the joint spinning, plus it doesn't help when the torx bit snaps off in the thread so you cant even hold it still to undo. Rubbish

BMW E36 328
We will be using a grinder later next week. Just about to order 2 new stabiliser bars so I can just replace those old ones.

BMW E36 328
Well after fitting the rear shocks lat night and "attempting" to fit the fronts at silly o'clock last night. We got started on the car around lunchtime today. Still faced with the issues of removing the stabiliser bars. Anyway we got there in the end, it's been a lot of effort to get the front apart and back together but it's near enough there now. Few pictures from along the way,

first up up was to remove the drop link that connects the anti roll bar to the shock, easy enough with an Allen key and a 16mm spanner.

image_zps864e3407.jpg

then removed the three 13mm topmounts bolts

image_zps11446512.jpg

We then removed the stabiliser bar by using the buzz gun and a pair of grips as they were a total nightmare to remove. Then removed the track rod end, and ball joint nut, removed the pinch bolt from the hub and slid the hub off the shock and off the car.

image_zps2e612b02.jpg

the standard shock vs the AST coilover unit

image_zps33ee5e72.jpg

then just assembled in reverse order, put the shock upto the strut to and tightened up the three m8 bolts

image_zps77438a9e.jpg

image_zps91bd41b0.jpg

then re-fitted the hub, stabiliser bar and track rod end

image_zpsc7973c4b.jpg

the drivers side seemed to come apart very easy once we got going, so we thought happy days, only take an hour or so to do the other side, as with all Renaults nothing is ever that simple lol. After finally removing all the stabiliser bar from the other side, disc, calliper, track rod end ect, we were unable to remove the driveshaft from the hub whilst it was in the car. So we decided to drop the gearbox oil and remove the shaft from the box with the hub all in one go.....

image_zpsf91f0a77.jpg

image_zpsdbc6e17f.jpg

with everything removed

image_zps4efb36a0.jpg

and then after many hours messing about we finally got everything together. Still need to replace the two stabiliser bars which I've ordered from ktec and re-fill the gearbox oil with this

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuc...w-80-synthetic-manual-transmission-fluid.aspx

then it's all ready to be setup on Friday at Blink Motorsport.

BMW E36 328
And finally a few pictures once everything was on and back on the floor, the height still needs adjusting as it's too low on the front Nd too high on the rear. Also fitted the 19mm spacers onto the front aswel, really love the way it looks in the photos but sadly it's just too low and too much camber :(

image_zps5e3a38af.jpg

image_zps79b16506.jpg

image_zpsc1669c87.jpg

Camber.....

image_zps0af7aa12.jpg

image_zpsfceaa06c.jpg

image_zps69e7f4ce.jpg

image_zps28ddb917.jpg

image_zps0af7aa12.jpg

BMW E36 328
image_zps166b422e.jpg

image_zps52c925e0.jpg

Few bits to do now before Friday

1. Alter height on both front and rear. Up 15m on the front and down 15mm on the rear.
2. Fill gearbox
3. Fit stabiliser bars as there ruined
4. Adjust camber

then just give it a really good detail in preparation for the winter and the bad weather