ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's F4R'd Dynamique Track Car

BMW E36 328
Get the rest of them polycarb windows in you lazy git!!

From looking at your engine pay I really want to relocate my battery so I can have my airbox sat straight... although I think there would still be a few things in the way. looks so much tidier.

Ill get them in once a cage is in, pointless putting them in now as the rear quarter windows will need to come out for the gussests to be welded in, then i have to pay for a window guy to come out..... give it time lol...... ;)

Yeah think a few things need moving out the way in order to do it although i cant remember what exactly.

BMW E36 328
Yet again ive not really done much on the car since the last update. Ive really enjoyed driving the car this last couple of weeks. The topmounts have made a massive difference to the way the car drives now. Round corners it feels great, holds the road really well, the steering feel's so direct. Solid topmonts and no powersteering are working really well.

Seem to be getting into a little bit of a trend with the car now. Go a few weeks without even touching the car then all of a sudden i pull my finger out and get a few more bits. Recently i have removed my standard dogbone mount that had the powerflex bushes in and fitted a solid coops dogobone mount. Got hold of a RS stamped lower inlet, and finally got my hands on a RS tuner. Been after one for a while now, so should be putting a map on the car sometime next week. Will get some pics up of everything when i get chance this weekend.

de54c737.jpg

BMW E36 328
As i mentioned before i have fitted a Coops solid dogbone mount instead of the standard dogbone with the powerflex bushes. Few things ive noticed for the short time are.... The gear change feels alot more direct now than with the powerflex bushes. Feels better when i put my foot down aswel presume its because the engine doesnt move back and forward anymore and the last thing is the amount of vibration i get throught the car now lol

Few pics from when i put it on.......

Went from this, the standard mount..........

P1010782.jpg

To this the solid mount......

P1020670.jpg

And a few pics once fitted........

P1020672.jpg

P1020673.jpg

P1020674.jpg

P1020675.jpg

Going to put a 5th mount on the front of the engine when i pick up some metal next week. And a quick pic of my recent purchase......

P1020676.jpg

BMW E36 328
Gear changes are alot smoother and more direct with this mount on.

Fred your right.... quite alot of vibration throught the car now.

The mount is mainly used on the mk1 valvers and williams clio's.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
just spent a good few hours reading this project, its great. something i wish i had the knowledge to do with my 1.2 (just going to hold out and get a 182 in january (Lazy))

fairplay for putting all the time and effort in too, along with f0xy. ;)
don't forget to update

BMW E36 328
just spent a good few hours reading this project, its great. something i wish i had the knowledge to do with my 1.2 (just going to hold out and get a 182 in january (Lazy))

fairplay for putting all the time and effort in too, along with f0xy. ;)
don't forget to update

Cheers, wouldnt have got it done without jords input tbh lol.

Will keep it updated haha.

So plugged my RS tuner into the car yday so that i could get an unlock code sent through. Will have a look through the available maps later on as i now have the email with the unlock code on :cool:.

BMW E36 328
I finally got round to fitting my RS lower inlet and my freshly sprayed fuel rail guard the other day. Didnt take all that long to do. Engine bay looks alot tidier and neater with the fuel rail guard now on. I sprayed the fuel rail guard and inlet with the same paint i have used for the rest of the bay, Hammerite Matt Black BBQ paint. Looks quite good once it has all dried and minimal prep is needed before adding the paint.

Before painting i used a wire brush over both the inlet and the fuel rail guard to remove a few bits of crap that were on it. Then wiped it over with a damp cloth before painting.

P1020676-1.jpg

P1020679.jpg

And the finished result.....

P1020680.jpg

Whilst that was drying which take 10 mins or so i started to remove all the upper engine mount, strut brace and inlets. I jacked the engine up on one of the bottom corners of the sump to take the weight.

P1020678.jpg

Trial fitted the fuel rail guard to see what it was like :cool:. Then removed the strut brace and airbox........

P1020683.jpg

Upper inlet removed.........

P1020685.jpg

Lower inlet removed........

P1020686.jpg

RS inlet fitted.......

P1020687.jpg

Then put everything back togeather.

P1020688.jpg

P1020689.jpg

As mentioned earlier in the thread i got an RS tuner. Should have the map on the car by tomorrow i hope, had a few other things to sort out regarding software ect ect......

You missed out the bit where you removed the lower inlet with all the dirt and stones were still against the cylinder head and everything went down the ports, lol. Im sure you shouldn't be allowed near cars....... :clown:

340i
You missed out the bit where you removed the lower inlet with all the dirt and stones were still against the cylinder head and everything went down the ports, lol. Im sure you shouldn't be allowed near cars....... :clown:

LOL

School boy error!!!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3

D'oh! Looking good Rob :)

BMW E36 328

Yeah i know, the rig up hoover bit saved the day tho...... was going to leave that bit out hahaha...;)

Sunflower Ph1 172

LOL

BMW E36 328
Seeing as ive had the metal sat in my garage to make myself a 5th mount for a few days now, i finally had abit of free time along with jord to get one made. There was alot more work involved in making it than i first thought but it was all worth it. And the end result was great. Took about 4 hours of grinding, measuring, welding, drilling, abit more gringing then spraying but it looks great. Took alot of pictures along the way. The main ourpose of putting the 5th mount on is to further reduce any engine movement along with the solid dogbone.

Firstly i started out with a 250 x 250mm sheet of 3mm thick steel plate. I cut this in half so that i could make both parts of the 5th mount.

P1020690.jpg

Then we drilled a hole in the subframe so the the rubber could be fixed directlty to the subframe.

P1020691.jpg

Jord had brought one of his spare blocks with him so that we could measure and find the positions of all three bolt hole for the 5th mount to be mounted to.

P1020693.jpg

Then we cut out a rough template using paper so we could get the rough shape and positions of the bolt holes.

P1020692.jpg

Marked all three holes up on the paper template.

P1020694.jpg

Then transfered the paper design onto the sheet of metal and cut it out with the grinder to get the rough shape.

P1020695.jpg

Then we made a slight notch in the sheet of metal so that it would clear the water pump housing yet sit flush onto the block.

P1020696.jpg

Then abit more grinding.................

P1020697.jpg

All the holes were drilled into thge metal for the three bolts to go through to the block.

P1020698.jpg

A trial fit confirmed that all three bolts lined up with the holes in the block perfectly.

P1020699.jpg

Then we had to drill a hole in the bottom of the subframe large enough to fit the nut and a socket through.....

P1020701.jpg

P1020700.jpg

We then set about cuttin out and shaping the piece of metal the would attatch the metal frame of the mount to the rubber......

P1020702.jpg

Once we had the correct shap and size we drilled holes for the bolts to go through and attatched it to the rubber part of the mount.

P1020704.jpg

P1020705.jpg

We then went round all the edges of the mount with a paddle disc to get rid of any sharp edges and to define the shape abit more.

P1020706.jpg

Now that we had both parts of the mounts made up and cut out we got a spare piece of roll cage tubing to reinforce the mount. This would stop any flex of the mount.

P1020707.jpg

We took a few measurements of the angle we want the mount to sit at so that it is forcing the engine against the dogbone mount.

P1020710.jpg

Got the welder at the ready.......

P1020708.jpg

P1020709.jpg

Once we had cut the roll cage tube to the correct length, and with the correct cuts so it will support the two pieces of metal, jord set off with the welder.

P1020713.jpg

10 mins later we had a complete 5th engine mount.

P1020714.jpg

A few coats of paint later.

P1020716.jpg

P1020717.jpg

P1020718.jpg

P1020719.jpg

P1020720.jpg

Attatched the rubber to the bottom of the mount.

P1020721.jpg

P1020722.jpg

Then put the ount on the car. Sorry for the bad pictures it was dark by this point lol....

P1020724.jpg

Perfect fit, job done.

Just need to adjust the dogbone mount now so that both mounts are forcing against eachother.

Your mate did more like ;) Shouldnt have left that rig up shroud on it for me! set on fire after the first run then practically had to finish it with no gas!