ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's 1995 Impreza WRX STI Type RA

'Bellmouth' that's it! A good description and that's exactly what my replacement down-pipe is like. I'm not hoping for huge 'gains' but I think both the re-designed down-pipe, and a non blowing and better sized up-pipe will certainly improve things even if they are only minor.

It should feel quite significantly different!
I can't quite remember the dimensions exactly, but when I changed mine it went from half capped off and 2" diameter, to fully open and around 2" x 3.5" oval [emoji23]
Was actually over boosting.... when i then had it mapped it was turned down then, running less boost [emoji23] Obviously for the better, safer.

He did say a lot of people change the down pipe, feels rapid and don't map them, then they blow turbos etc as their running too high.

Anyway. Sounds good! Get it fixed and get a mic fitted in the boot and lets hear this anti lag and other childish noise! [emoji106] [emoji41]

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
This is what the mouth of my HKS down pipe looked like, the HKS pipe has a sports cat fitted.

19732422858_54f751dde3_c.jpg
20150704_162237 by Scott Raven, on Flickr

19921925846_fe5856c2a4_c.jpg
20150723_185625 by Scott Raven, on Flickr

And this is what i have now mate.

20488348182_043e05573a_c.jpg
DSCN0569[1] by Scott Raven, on Flickr

23028497089_cdc5336e3d_c.jpg
2015-11-29_02-15-53 by Scott Raven, on Flickr

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
This is what the mouth of my HKS down pipe looked like, the HKS pipe has a sports cat fitted.

19732422858_54f751dde3_c.jpg
20150704_162237 by Scott Raven, on Flickr

19921925846_fe5856c2a4_c.jpg
20150723_185625 by Scott Raven, on Flickr

And this is what i have now mate.

20488348182_043e05573a_c.jpg
DSCN0569[1] by Scott Raven, on Flickr

23028497089_cdc5336e3d_c.jpg
2015-11-29_02-15-53 by Scott Raven, on Flickr
Mine was even more restrictive than your original down pipe mate. That section on the right was blanked off flush with the flange itself!

Thankfully my replacement down pipe resembles your third photo bud.

Your wrapping skills are exemplary sir!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
*Update*

No more exhaust issues! However it still wasn't a straightforward repair...

A new turbo up-pipe was fitted (OE de-cat) felt weird fitting a standard part back to one of my cars! [emoji23] but I'm trusting the advice given to me from a well respected mapper.

Once that was fitted the new down-pipe was re-fitted and then bolted up to the centre pipe which was where the final hurdle presented itself. [emoji30]

Whoever fitted the centre and rear Cobra exhaust system needs shooting because they bodged the f**k out of the centre gasket!

Rather than use a normal flange gasket they tried ramming a ring gasket between them!? God knows why! But in doing so they twisted the flange on the centre pipe, so when we offered up down-pipe and bolted them together it just put the whole system under so much strain!

In fact so much so you could see movement in the propshaft, and the rear silencer was rubbing on the nearside rear driveshaft.

This royally pissed me off, but highlighted an issue with the exhaust system itself, and probably what originally caused the up-pipe to crack. I limped the Impreza (with an exhaust rubber wedged to stop the driveshaft issue) over to a friend of mine that makes custom exhausts, and got him to have a look at it!

His answer was to re-position the system to avoid any over tension, and any rubbing or knocking. Followed by welding a 3 inch Stainless Steel flexi joint after the downpipe.

It's perfect and overall a much better design, that replicates the olive joint found on the OE systems.

I haven't used the car much since because the weather has been bloody awful! However the other morning (early) during a scenic drive to work, with the DCCD set to 'open' the back end stepped out turning into an industrial estate, follow by another step as I floored it down the main road between the workshops... I was grinning like an idiot! [emoji1]

The Impreza is booked in with Duncan who owns a company called 'Race Dynamix' for a mapping session at Surrey Rolling Road on the 5th of January. I'm not going for huge 'gains' really just to make sure all is good with the flat four and to make the most of the new down/up pipes.

I'll get some photos and hopefully a video or two of the old girl on the rollers!

Cheers,
Rob.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Great up date mate. [emoji106]
Rob I'm off work from tomorrow until the 10th, if it's ok with you and the weather being dry I'd like to pop along to Surrey RR in the Spec C. Be nice to meet you.
I want to get a power run done on my car at some point in the new year before my turbo goes off to be billeted.

I've found a chap that now offers a rebuild service for the VF34 (turbo dynamics wont/cant rebuild them) a couple of blade options for the billeted wheel as well and a larger/modified compressor housing. [emoji2]

The guys on Type RA. [emoji41]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Great up date mate. [emoji106]
Rob I'm off work from tomorrow until the 10th, if it's ok with you and the weather being dry I'd like to pop along to Surrey RR in the Spec C. Be nice to meet you.
I want to get a power run done on my car at some point in the new year before my turbo goes off to be billeted.

I've found a chap that now offers a rebuild service for the VF34 (turbo dynamics wont/cant rebuild them) a couple of blade options for the billeted wheel as well and a larger/modified compressor housing. [emoji2]

The guys on Type RA. [emoji41]

Cheers Scott.

That would be awesome mate! Would be great to meet you and the Spec C. My session is booked for 10am so I'd imagine I'll be there for most of the morning/midday

Fantastic opportunity to get some photos of the two together. I'm not sure who you would need to speak to regarding a power run. I presume Surrey RR as I imagine Duncan only rents the time from them?

Be good for you to have a recent before and after power run. That Type RA forum is great, and full of very knowledgeable people!

I hope the weather stays dry for the 5th bud!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers Scott.

That would be awesome mate! Would be great to meet you and the Spec C. My session is booked for 10am so I'd imagine I'll be there for most of the morning/midday

Fantastic opportunity to get some photos of the two together. I'm not sure who you would need to speak to regarding a power run. I presume Surrey RR as I imagine Duncan only rents the time from them?

Be good for you to have a recent before and after power run. That Type RA forum is great, and full of very knowledgeable people!

I hope the weather stays dry for the 5th bud!

Great stuff mate, I'll aim to get there at 9.30 weather permitting mate.
What I may do is give Surrey RR a call and see if they have a slot available before I go back to work on the 10th, it would work out well if I could get on the rollers after you of course.

I'm looking forward to it bud, if I can't get on the rollers the photos of the two cars together will make it all worth while. [emoji41]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
He mapped my old wagon and it made 340 on thosthe rollers. You're guaranteed good results.......

That's promising news mate! :smile:

Really looking forward to it now!

Great stuff mate, I'll aim to get there at 9.30 weather permitting mate.
What I may do is give Surrey RR a call and see if they have a slot available before I go back to work on the 10th, it would work out well if I could get on the rollers after you of course.

I'm looking forward to it bud, if I can't get on the rollers the photos of the two cars together will make it all worth while. [emoji41]

Fingers crossed the weather holds up bud, as it would make for an awesome day, and If they can fit you in after me that would be ideal! Hopefully they're not too busy...

I was also hoping to make a visit to these guys on the way home: http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/

I've ordered plenty from them in the past, but never had the chance to look around their shop. (could very well be an expensive mistake! 😂)

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
This car is really fighting me now... :weary:

The Impreza developed two faults last week. One has been rectified, the other could be seen as an early Christmas present... 😢

The first issue was that one morning into work the car was suffering with massive turbo/boost cut and when you hit about 1bar of boost tit felt like you'd hit a brick wall! Needless to say I promptly shat myself, but working in a garage I was hopeful we would get to the bottom of it.

Which we did! After a bit of investigation, and using a handheld vacuum pump we manually checked the vacuum lines and found at about 1 bar of pressure the turbo actuator arm was pushing against one of the front mount intercooler pipes, which I can only imagine had shifted since we re-fitted it during the down-pipe replacement. Once re-positioned no more boost cut! I was over the moon! :smile:

That good mood was short lived however...

Usual scenario:- Let the Impreza warm up nicely before locking up the workshop, and then head home. When there leave the Impreza running whilst I unlock my garage. I've then jumped back in the car, and began to reverse into the garage I casually looked at the temperature gauge (It's a very dim instrument cluster being so old!) and was horrified to find that the needle was vertical!

I got the Impreza into the garage and immediately switched off the ignition which was followed by much cursing! 😂 thoroughly pissed off I lifted the bonnet to find the overflow bottle was doing it's job, and emptying coolant all over the floor! By this point gutted doesn't quite express my mood, and i just closed the garage door with the mindset 'I'd deal with it tomorrow'

The next morning I topped up with coolant and went to work (this was last Friday) with no issues on the journey only that I could hear a 'gurgling' noise behind the dashboard which I imagine is air that's been introduced into the cooling system. Which is irrelevant at this point, as further investigation into the cooling system, and testing finds hydrocarbons bubbling up into the header tank. Basically my head gasket is on its way out! It's very early stages, but needles to say it needs to be repaired! :up:

@Phase1sr we may need to reschedule our little rendezvous on the 5th, as a mapping session is the last thing on my mind at the moment as the engine is coming out next week! 😂

Sigh... Chin up and all that!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Mate I'm gutted for you and of course, fully understand. [emoji22]

Seems like a great excuse to go fully forged. [emoji23]
Well at least proper head studs and cosworth gaskets, who are you going to use for your part's mate?

I only use Alyn at AS Performance, top guy and very very knowledgeable. [emoji106]
He is on the Type RA forum mate. [emoji2]

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
s**t news indeed - Too soon for the "I'd have bought a 'teg" jokes?

I'm sure the boot will be on the other foot for me soon. :fearscream:

Maybe I should have bought an Impreza with the problems I've been having with mine over the last month 😂

Sorry to hear about the problems with the Scooby though :(

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear this mate, atleast you can repair and ensure its something that wont cause problems for you in the future.
Sadly this is the typical nature of used cars, especially performance models!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Sorry to hear this mate, atleast you can repair and ensure its something that wont cause problems for you in the future.
And old one's. [emoji45]

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Sad times mate. Hope it's a cheap enough fix.
Working in a garage it should be cheap enough to resolve?
Silver lining, at least you'll have fresh coolant for winter [emoji106] [emoji4]

Cheers Dan,

Yeah I'm very fortunate to manage a garage full of supportive technicians (mostly 😂) who are going to help me!
With only parts to pay for I count myself very lucky indeed!

gutting news. last tning u want at this time of year.

It's less than ideal bud!

Mate I'm gutted for you and of course, fully understand. [emoji22]

Seems like a great excuse to go fully forged. [emoji23]
Well at least proper head studs and cosworth gaskets, who are you going to use for your part's mate?

I only use Alyn at AS Performance, top guy and very very knowledgeable. [emoji106]
He is on the Type RA forum mate. [emoji2]

Thanks Scott! Obviously once I'm all sorted and the Impreza is buttoned up hopefully we can meet at SRR!? As that mapping still needs to be done!

Even with the massive cost saving of not paying for labour I doubt i could stretch to forged/stroker internals as much as I'd want to my wife would kill me! 'happy wife / happy life' as I'm just paying off a holiday to Cuba for next year for my 30th! :weary:

But that still doesn't mean I can't have some goodies! :wink:

I was planning on speaking to AS Performance, and possibly order some parts from either Roger Clark or Import car parts

Shopping list...
Cylinder head skim / pressure test and possibly port & polish
Cosworth or performace related head gasket
Head bolts
Uprated water pump
Cosworth thermostat
Baffled sump kit
Timing belt kit
Aircon delete kit
Oil & filter
Fuel filter
NGK spark plugs

I'd also like to renew the hoses with silicone items, but the kits are bloody expensive so that may have to wait! We shall see! :innocent:

s**t news indeed - Too soon for the "I'd have bought a 'teg" jokes?

I'm sure the boot will be on the other foot for me soon. :fearscream:

To be fair Adam I'm pretty sure the words 'If I had bought a bloody DC5 I bet I wouldn't of had these f**king problems!' have left my lips... 😂

Thanks Dave,
You're right bud! At the end of the day the old girl is nearly 22 years old! regardless of the low mileage I just need to stay positive and go into this with my eyes open which I feel so far I have, even with my very short level of patience...

Sorry to hear about the gasket! At least you know what needs doing

Thanks mate! I'm sure it won't be the only thing once the engine has been removed! 😧

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe a cheap 1*2 for temp trackday fix?
I haven't got the room mate!
Aircon delete? Are you gonna have the same thoughts you had on the Trophy?, wishing you started with a 'normal' model?
Not at all bud.

Unlike the Trophy the Type RA had quite a few optional extras, the first owner of mine was obviously a bit of a sop because he opted for both aircon, and electric windows.

Both of which I would like to return to boggo spec!

Bad luck Rob. But being that it's a known issue it was inevitable really!

I just rebuilt an EJ25 lump at work. Certainly a bit different to a straight 4...would certainly suggest downloading the service manual from the forum.
We got all our bits from Graham Goode Racing. Really good company to deal with and also supplied Roger Clark parts (we went for the head studs, head gaskets, oil pump, ARP bolts and a heat treated crank as upgrades)

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Bad luck Rob. But being that it's a known issue it was inevitable really!

I just rebuilt an EJ25 lump at work. Certainly a bit different to a straight 4...would certainly suggest downloading the service manual from the forum.
We got all our bits from Graham Goode Racing. Really good company to deal with and also supplied Roger Clark parts (we went for the head studs, head gaskets, oil pump, ARP bolts and a heat treated crank as upgrades)

Thanks Jon, that's some good advice!

We had a Subaru Legacy Outback in a couple of months ago for a head gasket failure. It was the 2.5 engine, but it seems they are also well known for letting the head gasket go!

Certainly was an interesting job, and like you say much different to a normal 4 cylinder.

I will look up Graham Goode tomorrow and see what they've got.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Sad to hear this. Reckon the seller knew or just s**t luck?. Guess you won't know.

Crappy either way :(

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but after a touch of advice since its relevant to this topic. I have a Widetrack DCCD 2005 STi PPP. Recently just been in for fitting a GFB Respons dump valve/fit silicone radiator hoses. On my way home I smelt burning - assumed it was the plastic burning off the new silicone hoses. Drove for a few days to and from work (50 mile round trip). On the first trip to work after the drive home from it being in at the garage, I could smell bad burning when I got home and saw smoke coming out of the bonnet scoop (it was a cold night so smoke was even more visible). Opened the bonnet and a reasonable amount of smoke came out, before completely dissipating and clearing, however burning smell was still present. I had been caning it a bit on the way home to test out the new dump valve (not just for idiotic noises, to feel how it changed the dynamic of the engine).

Next day or two I took it easy, still sometimes smelling burning (although no smoke coming from the bonnet I believe). Burning smell seems more apparant when still/slow moving traffic. I'll add it seems to be driving okay, albeit seemingly less powerful top end (4k+ RPM).

Also to add, I've noticed (over the past few weeks) that 'gurgling sound' from behind the passenger side of the dashboard occasionally shortly after start up/setting off.

I'm worried now!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but after a touch of advice since its relevant to this topic. I have a Widetrack DCCD 2005 STi PPP. Recently just been in for fitting a GFB Respons dump valve/fit silicone radiator hoses. On my way home I smelt burning - assumed it was the plastic burning off the new silicone hoses. Drove for a few days to and from work (50 mile round trip). On the first trip to work after the drive home from it being in at the garage, I could smell bad burning when I got home and saw smoke coming out of the bonnet scoop (it was a cold night so smoke was even more visible). Opened the bonnet and a reasonable amount of smoke came out, before completely dissipating and clearing, however burning smell was still present. I had been caning it a bit on the way home to test out the new dump valve (not just for idiotic noises, to feel how it changed the dynamic of the engine).

Next day or two I took it easy, still sometimes smelling burning (although no smoke coming from the bonnet I believe). Burning smell seems more apparant when still/slow moving traffic. I'll add it seems to be driving okay, albeit seemingly less powerful top end (4k+ RPM).

Also to add, I've noticed (over the past few weeks) that 'gurgling sound' from behind the passenger side of the dashboard occasionally shortly after start up/setting off.

I'm worried now!

Not sure on the burning smell/smoke bud. Can you see where it's coming from?

Apart from the new radiator hoses have they fitted anything else that could break down when heated?

Or have re-positioned something that could now be getting hot?

As for the gurgling sound I'd say whoever has fitted your radiator hoses has almost definitely introduced air into your coolant system.

From what I've found Impreza's and the boxer engine in general are a real pig to bleed!

Just search google and you'll find plenty of advice and tips on how to carry out a coolant change correctly.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Not sure on the burning smell/smoke bud. Can you see where it's coming from?

Apart from the new radiator hoses have they fitted anything else that could break down when heated?

Or have re-positioned something that could now be getting hot?

As for the gurgling sound I'd say whoever has fitted your radiator hoses has almost definitely introduced air into your coolant system.

From what I've found Impreza's and the boxer engine in general are a real pig to bleed!

Just search google and you'll find plenty of advice and tips on how to carry out a coolant change correctly.

No other items fitted - hard to tell where its coming from and was only smoking as I was giving it some on the way home (within reason) so don't really want to try to replicate that, could be something repositioned but I can't think what. Yeah the gurgling was in the weeks before new hoses being fitted, so hopefully with the new hoses there will no longer be air in the system? Also checked the coolant and although it was about 6 inches from the top, it had a fair bit in their (I'd say half full - the bottle looks to be quite tall but not very wide/fat.) Also topped that up with water after I checked the engine when it was smoking that night.

Not sure if relevant but as I said before, especially on my drive home it was definitely slower, 3rd gear full throttle felt pretty unexciting, before it was (in my opinion) pretty brisk.

Edit: Also noticed the fuel pump seems a lot louder/whinier than before, it used to whine on throttle input before, but now is considerably louder.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
No other items fitted - hard to tell where its coming from and was only smoking as I was giving it some on the way home (within reason) so don't really want to try to replicate that, could be something repositioned but I can't think what. Yeah the gurgling was in the weeks before new hoses being fitted, so hopefully with the new hoses there will no longer be air in the system? Also checked the coolant and although it was about 6 inches from the top, it had a fair bit in their (I'd say half full - the bottle looks to be quite tall but not very wide/fat.) Also topped that up with water after I checked the engine when it was smoking that night.

Not sure if relevant but as I said before, especially on my drive home it was definitely slower, 3rd gear full throttle felt pretty unexciting, before it was (in my opinion) pretty brisk.

Edit: Also noticed the fuel pump seems a lot louder/whinier than before, it used to whine on throttle input before, but now is considerably louder.
Being a much later Impreza than mine You must have a different expansion bottle than mine bud, because if mine was 6 inches down, it would be bloody empty!

If you've still got gurgling noises after they've replaced the hoses I'd say it's safe to say there's air in the system.

I'm no expert mate, but I doubt how replacing some hoses and a dump valve would effect the performance, especially how the fuel pump operates and sounds.

If you're worried I'd get a second opinion from someone. [emoji1]

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
On the drive home it was 100% 'slower' without a doubt. Since then (in terms of performance) it has been on and off, sometimes feeling slower sometimes feeling normal. I thought on the drive home it was the the ECU getting used to the dump valve (also it was far too soft, opening at low boost, now its on almost the hardest setting).

The fuel pump is without a doubt louder, I would put money on it, it may be coincidence and nothing to do with it going in to the garage (I agree the DV/hoses should have absolutely nothing to do with performance/fuel pump operation), but it is definitely louder/whinier. Again sorry for the hi-jack on your Impreza's thread!