ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roadside Emissions Testing..

Okay so last week I bought myself a nice second hand exhaust system for £90, was quite happy with it and after some troubles getting it on I finally managed it! Upon the first couple of runs I was relatively happy, and after a longer 70mile run I was even happier as it pops when letting off the gas when hot! But then concerns have set in as the system has a decat.. Then I have come to realise it might not have been worth the hassle,

After doing various searches I have read the following..

Roadside checks
Your vehicle can also be tested during a roadside check.

If it fails the check, you’ll be given a prohibition notice. You’ll have 10 days to fix the problem. If you don’t fix it within this period you may be prosecuted.

If your vehicle is seriously in breach of the legal emission limits, or if it has other defects which make it dangerous, the notice will come into effect immediately. You won’t be able to use the vehicle. You may also be prosecuted.

Now really though, what are the chances of this roadside check happening? I've never been pulled before and had exhausts louder than this but never the decat. And what do they define as Serious breach?

Don't draw attention to yourself and you'll be fine

I got pulled over last year for something else and they had no idea my exhaust was something other than stock (got a Milltek with decat) and didn't bat an eye lid at the 3/4 plate on the front

(I'll probs get pulled for loud exhaust and illegal plate tomorrow now)

172 Turbo
I had a flame spitting, throttle bodied MI16 engined 205 that could not pass the MOT without having a laptop plugged in for the emissions test.

I got got pulled by VOSA at South Mimms. They checked the car but at no point looked at the exhaust or the emissions as it would have failed miserably.

KTM Xbow, Jag XF
You should be fine if you are sensible. I've never had any issues :)

I had a flame spitting, throttle bodied MI16 engined 205 that could not pass the MOT without having a laptop plugged in for the emissions test.

I got got pulled by VOSA at South Mimms. They checked the car but at no point looked at the exhaust or the emissions as it would have failed miserably.

What were they checking?! Hard to see the point of checking anyone if they don't look at one of the easiest things to pull someone up on!

What were they checking?! Hard to see the point of checking anyone if they don't look at one of the easiest things to pull someone up on!

I'd imagine failing emissions is a much smaller % than say bald tyres or something that requires maintenance, rather than modification :).

Your average joe doesn't give a s**t about their car, and some don't bother with putting any money into it! :p

KTM Xbow, Jag XF
I'd imagine failing emissions is a much smaller % than say bald tyres or something that requires maintenance, rather than modification :).

Your average joe doesn't give a s**t about their car, and some don't bother with putting any money into it! :p

That's a given, just seems daft that they don't even check a cars exhaust if they are doing a stop which they have gone out of their way to do! Especially if it's louder!
As for tyres etc... nothing would surprise me :)

172 Turbo
They wanted to know about the engine conversion, they checked if the tyres rubbed, they commented that my coil pack could be more secure as it was zip tied to the strut brace, they checked the harnesses mounts and looked quickly at the roll cage.

I was with them around 20mins from memory, before being released.

Ph 1 172
Drove around for 5 years with a decat and never once got pulled because of the exhaust, as long as you sent sitting at a high rpm making a load of noise whilst driving past vosa or the police I can't see how you would get pulled because of it. Also if you are issued a notice just change the exhaust then, can't see them taking the car from you as cats fail at random times so they would just issue a notice