ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road/Track Car

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
btw,
I'm in the same boat as you, my 182 is a daily aswell, and i pick the kids up now and then.
I did my first trackday last year, (half a day of instruction, Half open pitlane) and went a bit overboard on mods (still am) if I were to do it again i'd leave my car as is, and find out what needs doing first.
If the suspension is 10 years old do that first, then book another day and revel in the improved handling!
I intend to use my road tyres for a while yet, just because they are what I use on the road and pushing on a trackday will give me a better feel for them (just do short stints so as not to kill them)

Megane r26
I think a good place to start really as many have said is get the car, give it a good once over service and fluid change then got some ds2500 front pads and brembo HC discs, fairly cheap and effective and they'll at least stand up to the abuse

Then maybe book some tuition, seems fairly cheap now days as you'll benefit from that in terms of picking your lines and extracting more from your car.

A popular setup seems to be cooksport springs and cup dampers with a set of camber bolts

That setup seems fairly good for the money and will be civil on the road. As said good coilovers come at a price.

I've gone for BC's on the Meg as they get good reviews on the Meg forums, simon at cornering force likes them and I've had a few friends that are more then happy with them and there's a large variety of springs available

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I think a good place to start really as many have said is get the car, give it a good once over service and fluid change then got some ds2500 front pads and brembo HC discs, fairly cheap and effective and they'll at least stand up to the abuse

Then maybe book some tuition, seems fairly cheap now days as you'll benefit from that in terms of picking your lines and extracting more from your car.

A popular setup seems to be cooksport springs and cup dampers with a set of camber bolts

That setup seems fairly good for the money and will be civil on the road. As said good coilovers come at a price.

I've gone for BC's on the Meg as they get good reviews on the Meg forums, simon at cornering force likes them and I've had a few friends that are more then happy with them and there's a large variety of springs available

With regards pads. The rc5+ are far better than the ds2500. Absolutly fine on the road too. Cooksport springs are a great option without going down the coilover route

Eibachs or cooksports and standard dampers is <£250 if I recall. I wouldnt touch coilovers under ~£500, and that's only because Gaz is a good deal at the moment, anything else decent you can add 50% again.

Megane r26
With regards pads. The rc5+ are far better than the ds2500. Absolutly fine on the road too. Cooksport springs are a great option without going down the coilover route

Cool, I'm only quoting from experience of the ds2500 tbh.

Yeah I think your far better with something like a decent spring and damper setup rather then a cheap coilover especially at this level

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cool, I'm only quoting from experience of the ds2500 tbh.

Yeah I think your far better with something like a decent spring and damper setup rather then a cheap coilover especially at this level
I have no issues with the ds2500 and brembo hc combo as you've seen for yourself dan. It's all about your driving style - some people are heavy on the brakes some people aren't.

Megane r26
I have no issues with the ds2500 and brembo hc combo as you've seen for yourself dan. It's all about your driving style - some people are heavy on the brakes some people aren't.

I was always happy with them on the trophy and the 197, only went with the ds1.11 after recommendations off fellow Meg owners

I know I'm well and truly getting ahead of myself on this one, but, my current Civic has got a torsen differential and I do enjoy the feeling of the diff 'working' on roundabouts and tight corners. I see Quaife do an ATB, does anyone run one?:laughing:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I know I'm well and truly getting ahead of myself on this one, but, my current Civic has got a torsen differential and I do enjoy the feeling of the diff 'working' on roundabouts and tight corners. I see Quaife do an ATB, does anyone run one?:laughing:
Gripper also do diffs mate. There's a lot of people on here running both.

Yeah they're a plate diff, but they're not aggressive if you get them set up properly. They're a better diff in terms of performance over the quaife, but the quaife is a fit and forget item. The gripper will need servicing of the plates.
That's what i like about the Quaife diff, so I'd probably go in that direction.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
My main concern s for the brakes, as I said earlier, the Clio I drove last year did muller it's brakes quite quickly, especially compared with the MX5 I also had a go in. That pounded the track all day and the brakes were absolutely spot on, no fade, no obvious signs of wear.

That's one of the many reasons I have been mx5 for 5 years.
Did over 40 full trackdays & never missed a beat.
My Clios were always falling apart with less hammer.

That's one of the many reasons I have been mx5 for 5 years.
Did over 40 full trackdays & never missed a beat.
My Clios were always falling apart with less hammer.
If I were to have a devoted track car, it would be an MX5 they just don't seem to care about how much abuse you give 'em. I drove it pretty hard, but my mate, who the '5 belonged to, was just flat out all day and it didn't use any oil or water. That car hadn't been run for 18 months until less than a week before the track day either.
I just can't have dedicated track toy, I have neither the space nor the money to have two cars currently.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Mine is my everyday car as well ;)
Recently got a newer model as had my last one give years!