ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RIP - 09 MK3 1.2

Been a lurker for a while, but I figured I'd show off my first car.

yt2oqZg.jpg

EMRjalH.jpg

I had a lot of fun with it until last night when something (most likely a deer as I live in the cun'ry side) decided to run out in front of me on a dual carriageway, instincts kicked in and I slammed on the breaks while pulling on the handbrake (idiot move) but it was wet and I couldn't tell what or who was in the road, my goal was to stop as quickly as possible... Happened very quickly, before I knew it I slammed into a lamppost, spun around and slammed into another one.

Emergency services were really helpful, the female officer I spoke to was surprised when she saw that I wasn't inside the car, apparently accidents like that are usually fatal...

And here she stands now.

3SeKHXr.jpg

E8HUx8z.jpg

Little Clio quite possibly saved my life. Hopefully my insurers don't screw me over, should get a valuation in a few days. Really gonna miss that car.

...Also I wouldn't be surprised if those alloys appear on eBay in a few weeks, they were in mint condition, even after the crash.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm surprised you had time to grab the handbrake! I'd be too busy hanging on and braving for impact to do that.

Clio MK3
Glad you are okay, that's always the main thing. Never good writing off a car let alone a first car as insurance can be a pain. These little Clio's seem to hold up well in incidents from what I have seen, which is reassuring seeing as I have one aswell!

Interesting thing for an emergency services person to say to someone who's just had an accident! But glad nobody was hurt chap.

Cheers guys. They are those double wide thick lampposts, and I was doing the speed limit of 40, the Clio held up very well.

Why did you pull on the handbrake? I dont think my instincts would do that to me.

Honestly I have no idea, and I massively regret doing it. I think for a split second I thought it might've been a person. I smacked my head pretty hard on the drivers side window and got some pretty bad whiplash. I'm just glad I hit a lampppost and not another car on the opposite side of the road... A woman in a Range Rover who managed to dodge the falling lampposts had two little kids in the back, she was the first one to help me out, she sat me in her car and calmed me down. If I hadn't of hit the lamppost I probably would've hit her.. as there's no divider between the lanes.

Kicks your confidence in driving quite a bit tho.

Interesting thing for an emergency services person to say to someone who's just had an accident! But glad nobody was hurt chap.

She said the fatal part to my dad after speaking to me, sorry should've made that clear. I think she was just trying to tell him I was lucky. The emergency services were brilliant though.

Last edited:
  SQ5
Why do all threads like this have someone pulling their handbrake up?

I have never thought "better rip the handbrake up" when I need to stop quickly, hands are usually gripping the wheel!

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Why would you pull the handbrake?

and at 40Mph wouldnt you stop kinda hard anyway? How did you spin?

Im sorry but it makes no sense, I have been in the situation where i had to emergancy break doing 40mph and my car just stopped within 10 feet and i didn't move from a straight line direction.

An orange one
Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should IIRC....

Least your ok mate cars can be easily replaced, you can't. As Homer Simpson said... "Doe" ;)

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Good that your alright! We all make mistakes so I wouldn't worry to much.. I drove my first car into the canal.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
That'll cost you a few bucks in insurance.

Why did you pull on the handbrake? I dont think my instincts would do that to me.

Been taking pointers from McDrfting I reckon.

Sorry to hear about the crash mate, been there a few times myself. s**t happens though, pick yourself up and move on. Insurance is likely to be a killer too, I'm guessing young driver with the 1.2?