ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Right . . . Idiot guide to RSTuner (details/info)

Porsche Boxster987S
Before anyone starts moaning about do a search bla bla bla i HAVE and am still confused. Found bits and pieces in variOUs threads but all in all the search function is crap. Im sure theres more of us out there who like me , want to buy one of these but arent really sure about them or how to use them. Things i know :

- Some sort of file needs uploaded
- You need a laptop
- It plugs into the bit under the ash tray

Im looking for help please on the following questions :

1. When i buy it at around the £170 mark is it ready to use on the car straight away?
2. What do you need to do on the laptop?
3. Why do people keep talking about the battery going flat?
4. How do i back up the original files of the ECU?
5. Do you lose the 5k ''kick''?
6. I have an ITG panel filter so will it need a different kind of map?
7. All this talk of getting it mapped to use certain fuel - explain please??

If anyone could please fill in the blanks for me and the others who dont really know much about this it would be much appreciated as im really keen to buy this bit of kit asap. Cheers

NO SILLY REPLIES OR PEOPLE MOANING ABOUT USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Got mine delivered Today :) and am enlisting the help of a local who already has installed it on his car as otherwise i'd have no clue what to do.

v6

1. When i buy it at around the £170 mark is it ready to use on the car
straight away?

Yes, everything comes in the box, except the manual (though that might have changed since i got mine)

Manual's here: http://www.fastchip.nl/media/RSTuner_manual.pdf

You will need it to install the software from the cd provided, plug in the VCI box thingy and download the ecu files & calibrations.

It can take some time reading/writing the ecu files, I had no problems though

Very easily, there are two buttons in the program called 'read ecu' & 'read cal'. Click on those and save the files (see page 18 of manual i think).

On mine it's not as obvious as there's much more torque throughout the rev range (feels like it anyway!)

Nope, no need to

There are two maps, group n & 98RON. Most people seem to prefer the 98RON one but you don't need to use 98RON fuel all the time, think it's recommended though.

I've had a go at answering your questions. It really is a simple thing to use, hopefully you can view the manual which explains everything really well.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Paul. Go to RS tuning...It's there business afterall. Failing that superchips at falkland.

106 GTI
Not sure you get an installation CD for the laptop think you have to download the software from the site which is what I done

Porsche Boxster987S
Gregg , thanks for taking the time to reply to that. Im worried that if i have a go at it myself i will damage the ECU:dapprove: how long did it take?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'm emailing him tomorrow, PM me your mobile number and I'll text to arrange a night around my shifts :(

I think the week starting the 15th-ish is best for me as will have most nights free

v6
Gregg , thanks for taking the time to reply to that. Im worried that if i have a go at it myself i will damage the ECU:dapprove: how long did it take?

As long as you back everything up you can't really do any damage. It's just a case of:

1. Backing up ecu & cal files (only takes a few minutes iirc)
2. Downloading correct ecu software and cal file from fastchip's website (if you're unsure which one to download, just email Henk- that's what I did!)
3. Install the ecu software and cal file (this takes a bit longer ~30mins).

So if for some reason (like you download the wrong software like me!) the car won't start, you can just re-upload your original files.

That's it, done!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
tell me more ali. recommended?

Pauls map will ultimately be the best solution. Proven rep. gave me 6bhp gain
Superchip will give similar, touch less, kevin can tweak it and give you the desired rpm limit...And it's local, not 500mile round trip!

ValverInBits
- Some sort of file needs uploaded
This is the engine map. This is really what you are paying for. The hardware simply interfaces with the ECU (engine control unit).

- You need a laptop
Or bring your desktop outside, yes

- It plugs into the bit under the ash tray
Under the ash tray is the OBDII connector. This is simply a connector for the ECU. Through this connector, all errors can be read and cleared, all sensors can be read etc etc. OBDII now controls nearly everything in the modern car (in europe). It's an interface that controls all of the input/output information in the whole car. Even window switches work by speaking to the OBD, which then tell the window motor to turn on. Engine map is one of the many things that can be adjusted using the connector.

1. When i buy it at around the £170 mark is it ready to use on the car straight away?
yes, you need the hardware and the map. You can have a custom map or an off-the-shelf one. When buying second hand you need an "unlock code"
The supplied software.
No ideas, sorry
Using the software
No idea. Is this important?
Absolutely not. Panel filters such as the ITG are just longer lasting, no measurable air flow gains are made.
Different fuels require different maps. It's basically affects ignition advance. If you got it mapped for 97 and ran a tank of 95 through, don't expect disasters by any means. If it's mapped for 110RON race fuel and you run some 95 through then maybe things will get a little interesting.

Renaultsport Clio 197
Paul. Go to RS tuning...It's there business afterall. Failing that superchips at falkland.

170 pounds is not the same as... how much is a live map at Rs tuning? 300ish? :)

i know paul will do a better job, but as far as I've seen the RS tuner grN map coupled with basic breathing mods gives some very good results

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not sure what paul charges. I paid 240 i think. Yrs ago tho.

The thought of remapping my car doesn't inspire me much tbh!

Tbh...I don't think a remap is worth it..."On the whole" It's not like mapping a tb'd car or Turbo...You barely notice 20bhp gains...So a 6-10bhp gain on map is rather....pointless.

v6
Not sure what paul charges. I paid 240 i think. Yrs ago tho.

The thought of remapping my car doesn't inspire me much tbh!

It's not self-mapping, just uploading a map, it really is simple.

I'm sure a 'proper' map from RS tuning or whoever would get better results, but for the price the RSTuner is a great bit of kit

tiTTy & SV650
They're doing a group buy just now. I'd far rather take my car to someone who knows what they're doing and will tune it on the RR than playing trial and error with my ECU myself.

Porsche Boxster987S
Mark - Thanks for the help. Interesting and already after 16 posts i feel i know a good bit more so cheers for taking the time to reply

Ali - ill speak to them up there on saturday. i know what your saying about it being pointless but im not really wanting it for the power. just want it to feel a bit smoother and have better response further down the revs.

thanks to those who have replied so far:)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ barely noticeable Paul....You convice yourself it's smoother coz you've paid money! lol...

I'd go for exhaust/IK tbh! The noise spurs the mind to think it's faster lol!

RS 182
...3. Why do people keep talking about the battery going flat..?
Because the whole process takes about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish.
If you're tinkering around with the ECU & lose power you could be in deep s**t.
Remember to turn off power to the battery charger (£27 well spent) before you touch the leads because a spark could blow up the battery & you'll have acid all over your face!

I did a remap recently & if anyone has any other questions then let me know.
Register to the fastchip website & this link is really all you need once the RSTuner interface arrives:
http://www.fastchip.nl/content/view/17/27/

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Just take your time YOU "CAN" RECK YOUR ECU for those that say other wise are talking b****cks, If you up-load an rst file that begins with 7xxx xxx to a 6xxx xxxx current software its bye bye Ecu & off to fastchip to be re-flashed & recoded back to your car, talking 5-14 days turn around.. so re-read everything or drop me a pm if your near surrey

James

Clio 182
If you need a hand i can pm you my phone number and talk you through it, download the manual from there site, it really is easy to use tho

Renaultsport Clio 197
people don't read the manual and when sheet happens it's not their mistake...

everyone, take FIVE minutes and read the manual :rolleyes:

RS 182
My advice would be
1) Use a battery charger even if indicator is green
2) Take time to make sure you download the correct .rst & .cal files for your ECU from your chassis number (read the manual for explanation!)
3) First thing once you plug in is to read the original ECU & save to your laptop

Then you can worry about writing the new files to the ECU :)

I haven't heard of any RSTuner disasters on here & I did it right so it must be quite simple.

Bumder With A Buffer
Another r****d question! :)

Is it the software that is locked to the ECU or just the dongle part?

I.e this bit??

rstuner_kit_photo_close_inline.jpg

Im guessing/hoping its just the dongle???

Porsche Boxster987S
Thanks alot for all the responses. VERY helpful. However my heads been all over the place with the car recently as ive had countless people asking to buy it , so im considering selling now for a meg - meaning the rs tuner is a no go atm. VERY helpful thread though which i can refer back to if i decide to keep the car and im sure others will appreciate it.

Bumder With A Buffer
Arse so that means if I installed the software on one laptop I couldn't do stuff with another laptop/PC?

Clio 182
I beleive its just the tuner box thats locked and not the software you put on a laptop..... im someone will correct me if im wrong

Trophy #267
vci box. vin is embedded into the hardware preventing (ab)use reading & writing maps from other cars. iirc all sensor data can be read from any car nps

clio sport 182

1. When i buy it at around the £170 mark is it ready to use on the car straight away?the hardware will be,but you will need to download the software from the website!
2. What do you need to do on the laptop?download the driver and software,plug it into you car then your laptop will find new software and open the driver from where you saved it and it will install!

yes you can download the software to any laptop,the hardware supplied by fastchip is what it locked to the car
3. Why do people keep talking about the battery going flat?i figure that by this you mean you dont want your car battery or laptop battery going flat during the map installation so make sure everything is topped up!
4. How do i back up the original files of the ECU?there is a tab button on the programe that allows you to back up your original software,its obvious where it is.
5. Do you lose the 5k ''kick''?you dont loose the kick the tuner irons it out,but its not as obvious but you can feel it there slighty.
6. I have an ITG panel filter so will it need a different kind of map? a standard map will be surfice.
7. All this talk of getting it mapped to use certain fuel - explain please??exactly what markone said up above

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Yes you can.

I found the rstuner wasnt so much about giving optimal power. It was about changing the characteristics of the car. Ie throttle response, engine idle, cold start/driving / engine responsivness lower down etc....it was the best 140 i spent on my car.

Bumder With A Buffer
For those that have been playing with this I have 1 quick (ish) question!

WTF is the difference between an .rst file and a .cal file?

I mean is the procedure perform a back-up of ecu and cal on original settings..

then upload new .rst file and .cal file?? Do you have to put it the .cal file? or can you run the .rst file??

I have read through the manual etc but it does not make it very clear....(either that or im retarted) and id rather not "bork" my ecu :)

You always have to update the .cal file. Sometimes also the .rst file depending on what software version your ECU has. Which can be seen after connection is made on the main screen.