ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Richard Hammond loves the R27!!!

Here's the article:

72586AB2-D7FD-BAFE-C55BADE6BCFE39FC.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/motoring/hammond/2007/06/29/clio-grand-89520-19376615/

If you miss out on the Clio R27 or can't run to 17 grand there's some very good news. Later in the year Renault is launching the Clio 197 Cup, which is a stripped-out Clio without a fancy audio system and air-conditioning, but with exactly the same engine and suspension as is fitted to this car. And with a price expected to be under £14,000.

I'm waiting Renault...

Classic Mini Cooper
If you miss out on the Clio R27 or can't run to 17 grand there's some very good news. Later in the year Renault is launching the Clio 197 Cup, which is a stripped-out Clio without a fancy audio system and air-conditioning, but with exactly the same engine and suspension as is fitted to this car. And with a price expected to be under £14,000.

I'm waiting Renault...
Me too!!:) :)

H22A7 Accord Type R
you took the pish out of me when i mentioned a trophy!!! saying it was pink or something!! ;) lol.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm waiting Renault...

I'm first in the queue.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm first in the queue.

Seriously, would you buy a car with A/C these days?

I loved my Cup, but would never go back to those poverty days now, I want to keep cool.

I suspect Reno will keep the A/C like the Meg Cup.

I can't see it not having A/C. Just because 10 people on here think it's a good idea, the majority would rather have it for the sake of 0.01 of a second.

I coudn't buy a car without A/C either.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm first in the queue.

I loved my Cup, but would never go back to those poverty days now, I want to keep cool.

Yep, quite easily. I rarely use it and never hit the 'Auto' button. Tbh, I missed a sunroof more when I got the 182 compared to what I thought I gained with the air-con over my previous cars that didn't have A/C.

The one stickler for me in any new car would be xenons. If I got a new car without them, I'd be miffed - anything else I wouldn't give a rat's arse about.

Oh look - an AM/FM casette player........ cool! ;)

D.

Clio 197
is the r27 sorta exquivalent to the trophy then?

It wishes...

I'd have a 182 trophy all day over the R27...

I wouldn't Stevie Wonder :lolup:

Yep, quite easily. I rarely use it and never hit the 'Auto' button. Tbh, I missed a sunroof more when I got the 182 compared to what I thought I gained with the air-con over my previous cars that didn't have A/C.

I've got both and I'd prefer to sacrifise the sunroof than the climate A/C

31.7 mpg my ar5e try about 21mpg unless it's a lot better than the 197 (well 25mpg max or is that just me)

You can't beat loosing the rag, trying to salvage your tape that has been eaten by the cassette player, whilst trying to smoke the Corsa SRI that's right up your erse! Those were the days.

Auto-reverse...don't get that on a CD/MP3, do ya?

lol

Last edited:
  In between cars....
maybe you lead filled boots are the poblem ant :rasp: lol, are they really that thirsty when driven "normal"

Mini Cooper S sport

I can't see it not having A/C. Just because 10 people on here think it's a good idea, the majority would rather have it for the sake of 0.01 of a second.

I coudn't buy a car without A/C either.

Yeah I'd need a/c!! Would like Xenons too, but I guess you can't have everything.

I'm juuuuuuust beginning to want a new car now. I do like the R27, but 17k?

Clio 197
maybe you lead filled boots are the poblem ant :rasp: lol, are they really that thirsty when driven "normal"

Mines under 23mpg at the moment

Not sure what you mean by "normal" considering it is a sports car, I've driven it like I normaly drive it. The only time you drive slow is when your runing it in, when you first start it (because it wont let you put your foot down for 5 mins otherwise it'll kangaroo as you've probably heard), when there's police around (obviously I keep to speed limits anyway lol), when the parents are in the car and when your behind sunday drivers, granies and tractors.

I don't realy check the mpg that often but next time I go out I'll reset the computer and see how high I can get the mpg on roughly a 5 mile trip and report back.

I'm sure this is relavent to this thread becuase the mpg features in the article if it's not let me know and I'll post it somewhere else, I don't want to get into trouble now do I :mad: :dead::nono: :quiet: .

The Bus and MRT

Not sure what you mean by "normal" considering it is a sports car, I've driven it like I normaly drive it. The only time you drive slow is when your runing it in, when you first start it (because it wont let you put your foot down for 5 mins otherwise it'll kangaroo as you've probably heard), when there's police around (obviously I keep to speed limits anyway lol), when the parents are in the car and when your behind sunday drivers, granies and tractors.

I don't realy check the mpg that often but next time I go out I'll reset the computer and see how high I can get the mpg on roughly a 5 mile trip and report back.

I'm sure this is relavent to this thread becuase the mpg features in the article if it's not let me know and I'll post it somewhere else, I don't want to get into trouble now do I :mad: :dead::nono: :quiet: .

That's shocking mate you must be ragging the arse off it, do you ever change below 7k? I used to get 23mpg out of the R32 with a mixture of driving, or sometimes 21 at worst.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Bloody hell - that's pretty much the same as what Jain gets in her V6? :S

I'm sat on 33.5mpg at the moment - approx 18 miles each way to and from work - mixture of motorway and A-roads.

D.

Clio 197
That's shocking mate you must be ragging the arse off it, do you ever change below 7k? I used to get 23mpg out of the R32 with a mixture of driving, or sometimes 21 at worst.

I sometimes change below 7k if there's something in front or the weather's really bad, infact I wouldn't say I rag the ar5e off it considering it's a sports car.

I've also got an old 1987 D reg 1.3 VW Polo CL that I got for £100 off e-bay with a years MOT, not sure the test bloke even saw the car considering the amount of rust on it but the certificate's legit. I got it because the clio got a couple of stone chips because of other drivers rallying it past it when in the works gravel car park, I also use it if I go somewhere realy dodgy as well.

So I only use the clio at weekends and occasionaly before work (I work nights) so when I get into the clio I appreciate it a lot more and feel so happy and lucky to own the car and so fed up of the crap preformance of the polo I like to make the most of the drive and the performance.

Some of you should get what me and my mates like to call a sh1tter as well because it will make you appreciate your clios a lot more.

im geting about 29 with a mixture of town and motorway driving

what's your secret, I use V-Power, I've only ever been on a motorway once in the 197, could my car just be less economical or is that impossible due to it being the same car, mind you I've got a sunroof that my mate said wont help because it's heavier than metal do you think that'll be why?

Clio 197

Couldn't manage it for 5 miles but the other day I reset it and did a 1 and a half mile trip and managed to get it to 32.6mpg. Mind you it was on 23.2mpg when I reset it. It was on 21.2mpg at 1 point today though, it's not the most echonomical car in the world I don't think.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting to see the mpg's of the new clio sports seem to be exactly the same as mine (Not Ants).

Any of the above named who quoted mpg figures have mods fitted, more specifically a decat? Interested to see as mine is 29-32 mpg on a combined A road and town driving run of 30 miles each day. Im running 95 ron fuel not v power either.

Clio 197
Interesting to see the mpg's of the new clio sports seem to be exactly the same as mine (Not Ants).

Any of the above named who quoted mpg figures have mods fitted, more specifically a decat? Interested to see as mine is 29-32 mpg on a combined A road and town driving run of 30 miles each day. Im running 95 ron fuel not v power either.

Mine's standard

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Your mpg is v low ant. 23 is what some evo drivers come back with on a combined run. Maybe it could be just to town driving but i would have thought it may be something more. Is it running ritch? Can you smell it?

Mine has a decat and gets a fair bit of high revving when hot, usually when acclerating off round abouts etc, not hammering it as such more heavy footed but even at its worst i have only had circa 29. Mine has a full s/s and decat too, and considering yours is 10 years newer i would have thought it may have been more economical.

I may be inclined to go on a long run in it on the m-way when you have the chance and after 100 miles or so work out its mpg, should be returning 30 from that easy.

Clio 197
I'll try it to Rockingham next weekend, can't smell anything and it seems to be running OK, I think it's just that the 197's are slightly heavier anyway and then I've got a sunroof which makes it even heavier, don't know though, I can be quite heavy footed sometimes myself.