ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ricardos Petrol Blue Supercharged 182 Project

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
So, the final pieces of the conversion jigsaw finally fell into place today. After so many phone calls, texts and PMs I've managed to sort out the fuel system setup situation. Today I did a 110 mile round trip to Kent to make sure I had all the parts in my hands and know 100% they were all good for the job.

I'd like to say a big thanks to Matt@codered for all the parts he's kindly given me today, he has an Odyssey blue phase 1 Clio 172 (Which I actually owned 5 years ago) so the fuel rail, fuel sender, and fuel return line were all good for me to have in return for my 182 fuel parts. He also has a Monaco Blue Clio 172 that's about to be scrapped so I took the fuel line and connectors off that to make up a spare fuel line if needs be. Like buses Budgie also has a phase 1 fuel return line I'm going to be buying off him as well so I now have pretty much 2 phase 1 fuel setups. As the phase 1 fuel return line is now obsolete and can't be bought from Renault it's handy to have the parts to hand.

So, on Tuesday I'll be heading up to the workshop to have all the parts fitted along with the induction kit. Then that's pretty much it for the conversion, the work is done and it's ready to be mapped.

Phase 1 fuel sender has 2 outlets opposed the later 172/182s
13671296933_3cc85fa34a.jpg

Complete fuel return line, both sections
13671581434_5ef5f030c2.jpg

Phase 2 Clio 172 fuel line taken off the Monaco, I can use the connectors
13671207065_f3bdf6d6d2.jpg

Spare fuel sender connector taken off the Monaco for spares
13671211513_968bd16fef.jpg

SQ5
From experience you may need to run a bigger diameter restrictor with a longer intake pipe. Longer intake pipes seem to sap the boost pressure away.

I extended from a 90 degree bend to a 90, 45 and straight pipe and lost about 0.3/4 bar

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
From experience you may need to run a bigger diameter restrictor with a longer intake pipe. Longer intake pipes seem to sap the boost pressure away.

I extended from a 90 degree bend to a 90, 45 and straight pipe and lost about 0.3/4 bar

If you're referring to the running the restrictor in the induction pipe setup, it's not fitted there. It's fitted post supercharger and pre FMIC

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
It may still cause issues, Just something I thought was worth mentioning.

Aaah ok, I appreciate that Danny. I have 4 restrictors made with different diameter holes that I can play about with on mapping day if needs be.

The induction setup I have is pretty much the same as Doms on his Clio bar the air filter make.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Good news that you've got all the missing parts. Looking forward to seeing this all finished, it's rare to see a petrol blue on the road, let alone see one absolutely fly past you with no effort!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
No worries Rich, hope you get all the other bits sorted out you've paid for and not received....

You know how much I appreciate all the work you've done for all my Clios over the years :D

Indeed, just the fuel sender unit I paid for nearly 2 weeks ago and still nothing. Naming and shaming next week sometime if they still don't reply to my texts.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Good news that you've got all the missing parts. Looking forward to seeing this all finished, it's rare to see a petrol blue on the road, let alone see one absolutely fly past you with no effort!

I did think for at least 1 minute maybe I shouldn't do this to a Clio in this colour...... And then thought doing a supercharger conversion would only make it better if it's done tastefully. I like to think that everything I've chosen for this project has made it look just right.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Great update! What sort of power figures are you aiming for once finished?

When speaking to Paul at RS Tuning the figure of 250bhp was mentioned, I'd be pretty damn happy with that figure if it was achieved.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
So, the final night tonight. I've just arrived home after seeing the last pieces being fitted, the induction run and the phase 1 fuel setup. I'm not that arty with the photos but here's a few showing the finished engine bay with the air filter setup. Now is the next step, mapping, although my friend was discussing going standalone ECU. I'm kind of in 2 minds with what to do, still leaning towards the mapping at the moment but have the ECU idea at the back of my mind. Either way, mechanically the Clio is finished ready and waiting for me to make the decision in which way to go. I'm looking forward to having it back home to give it some TLC as it's been sitting in the workshop for a month and needs a good clean inside and out.

13726351405_819e237f49.jpg

13726733924_9d3ea80f44.jpg

13726401423_18999cfb02.jpg

13726742494_4913fe3daa.jpg

Looking forward to this for you!

Probably a stupid question but is that air filter in the best location? seems it might suffer heat soak there or is it not really an issue with forced induction?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Looking forward to this for you!

Probably a stupid question but is that air filter in the best location? seems it might suffer heat soak there or is it not really an issue with forced induction?

Now there's a boost hard pipe taking the place of the original induction run i can't put an air filter where it sat before with the K Tec setup (behind the passenger headlight) i've removed the injector rail guard to make way for the induction hard pipe run so where the new filter sits now is the biggest space available for the size air filter i wanted. I had a quick look last night to see if i could run a cold air feed but the hard pipe running down behind the headlight towards the intercooler seems to take up any free space.

Ahhh so its just a space issue, thought that might be the case. Could you not relocate the battery then put it there or are you aiming more for more of an OEM look?
Does look really good i might add but i'd be worried about heat soak thats all.

Looks good Ricardos but as mentioned I think I'd want a better location for the air filter

You could still relocate the battery to the boot and have it very OEM looking, or better still, get a small 'race' style battery and put it under the passenger seat?

Just my opinion.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
A small update, now the Clio is done mechanically I've turned my attention to the whole mapping scenario. I've been doing the man maths over the last week in my head and what with the discussions I've had with 2-3 people, the next step seems in my opinion the best way.

It's nearly £500 to have the stock ECU mapped at RS Tuning, if I need to make any changes or have something checked it's the round trip to Leeds all the time as RS are pretty much the only company that map the stock ECU plus being initially mapped by them in the first place. Add the cost of getting the Clio up to Leeds and back with trailer and van hire plus diesel, you're looking at over £200. So we're £700 in, £700 buys me an Adaptronic ECU which can be mapped anytime, by anyone.

So after 2-3 E mails and a phone call earlier it looks like the PB is heading up to EFI hopefully the middle of May. It will then be left in Chris capable hands to fit the Adaptronic and map it. So, a few weeks to sort a few bits before it goes.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Nice update mate.

Im going to have the same problem soon with my car going to Pauls. :(
Does the new ecu just plug into the Clio loom or has it got to be cut about to fit?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Nice update mate.

Im going to have the same problem soon with my car going to Pauls. :(
Does the new ecu just plug into the Clio loom or has it got to be cut about to fit?

From what Chris says is the Adaptronic runs in parallel with the OE ECU, this retains everything on the dashboard, the Adaptronic deals with everything else. There's obviously much more to it than that (and with me forgetting parts of the convo already!) But imagine the Adaptronic splices into the OE loom, that's what I think anyway...... And this is the reason I'm happy to have it sorted by someone else, I have absolutely no idea about the wiring, ECU side of things :eek:

All I know is I trailer the Clio to EFI, then pick it up when it's been mapped and drive it home.
Chi take some pics :D

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Chris = capable hands

if he can get nigh on 1000bhp out of a f4r for his project, i'm sure he'll squeeze enough out of the PB

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Picked the Clio up yesterday, well I had a friend who owns a farm with multiple vehicles drive me up there to pick it up in his Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5l V8. It certainly made light work towing it the 40 miles back from the workshop. Also had a result with storage space for the Clio while it waits for the 17th May when it goes to EFI-Parts, I've managed to sort the use of a garage for 3 weeks which means I can work on it doing some small jobs before it goes. I need to send the rear SPAX coilovers away to be refurbed, 2. would like to fit the Powerflex exhaust hanger bushes as the OE rubbers are past their best. As you can see it also needs a wash after sitting in the workshop for the best part of a month gathering dust. It's nice now having it literally 2 minutes away from where I live in dry, secure accommodation.

14035467521_1b070cca33_c.jpg
. by Ricard o1, on Flickr

14035431242_47b63a8fcd_c.jpg
SavedPicture (11) by Ricard o1, on Flickr

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Loevely mate! Wonder how it'll do the 17th!

Chris (Scoff) will have the Clio the best part of a week, wiring in the Adaptronic and mapping it. Can map it in various states, cold start etc. Still love the idea that it looks completely OE exterior but running decent horsepower.

14039711014_73200bd68a_c.jpg
. by Ricard o1, on Flickr

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Would like to fit 20mm spacers up front and 10 on the rear just to fill out the arches. I'm gonna have the suspension geo sorted when it's back too, have it lowered a bit more.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Not the greatest project update post but it might help me out. So the Clio is booked in with EFI to be there this Saturday, a trailer is booked for weekend hire and also had a towing vehicle to borrow. So as it stood until this morning everything was in place for me to tow it up there early doors Saturday morning, i had a phone call today to say the towing vehicle is out of use and unavailable. Now having to think of a plan B or C, hire a van to tow the Clio or cancel the trailer and go via Shiply.

I've already had qoutes from Shiply at £230 which compared to the cost of trailer and van hire plus diesel seems about the same. What i wanted to do was to tow it and go rough a load of things with Chris while i'm there, if i took the Shiply option i'd imagine the Clio goes up with just the delivery driver. A bit of head scratching going on at the moment :eek: You know when you have everything in place ready to go, and something happens late in the day.