ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rhauri's Flame Red 172 - Progress Thread

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Greetings,

Thought I would put up a Progress Thread, now that I've had quite a bit of work done to my car in recent weeks and have a decent amount of content to put up.

When I bought the car, it was an honest original example of a Flame Red Phase 2 172, 'Full Fat' bought from a chap on this forum.

Here are a couple of shots of the car when in as-bought condition & spec (pretty much 99% OEM):

1.jpg

2.jpg

So, first thing I tackled was the cambelt & auxbelt which was done by Mick @ Diamond Motors.

Soon after it was time to pay the Flamer some TLC, in and out, which also included a headlight refurb:

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

A mate of mine shortly bought a 182, which was far removed from OEM - on 2118's, Coilovers & aftermarket exhaust - I got the bug and wanted to transform my Flamer into something a bit more racey.

My ideas are far from original, but I think thats for good reason and a result I placed a sizable order at K-Tec, consisting of:

- K-Tec Coilovers
- K-Tec Solid Top Mounts
- K-Tec Recessed Exhaust (with centre silencer)
- K-Tec Induction Kit

I also had bought a Cup Spoiler already painted in Flame Red from a forum member and put a deposit down on a set of freshly refurbished Anthracite Turini's (no tyres).

(Also from this point, the picture quality is much better as I'm using my Xmas present, a Samsung NX1000 Compact System Camera opposed to my Sony Xperia smartphone!)

6.JPG

7.JPG

Yes... I went crazy!

So on the day of getting my Coilovers and Top Mounts fitted, I borrowed my flat mates car (Phase 1 Clio Sport, 1.2!) to pick up the Turini's; a 2.5 hour drive away. I had also booked myself in to a nearby Tyre Fitting place to get the new Turini's clad with some fresh Kumho KU39's so I could drop them off at my mechanic's for when the Coilovers were fitted.

So in one hit the suspension, spoiler, wheels and tyres were done:

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

I quite like this shot, but I don't know why...!

11.JPG

So I still have to fit the K-Tec Recessed Exhaust, Induction Kit and Centre Caps, which are on their way.

I have also bought a V6 Airbox from a forum member, as I was unsure which I'd prefer... so either a K-Tec IK or a V6 Airbox will be up for grabs soon enough!

More pics to follow as I finish her off...

Last edited:
  Clio 172, Pug 106
Love it... nice to see another nice flamer on the forum...

glad you have fitted a cup spoiler aswell... ive been unsure for months, but after seeing yours , il be investing in one for my car!

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Cheers folks, appreciate the comments!
stunning mate, never been a fan of this colour bit you have just changed my mind
Thanks! Quite a feat to change your mind on an entire colour.
glad you have fitted a cup spoiler aswell... ive been unsure for months, but after seeing yours , il be investing in one for my car!
Yeah the cup spoiler really finishes the back end off I think; the recessed exhaust will be the icing on the cake!

Flame 172 (Ph2)
No way, you know Alex?! What are the chances.

Where were you going to recommend for the Geo setup mate? Steve's?

Monaco blue 172
Yeah I know Alex very well he's been to my place a few times. Think he was after me doing your Cambelt but I was chocker.

Place in liverpool mate one stop garage. Proper hunter align.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
No way, thats awesome! Do you have a number? Or can you book me in for this Saturday at all?

Monaco blue 172
He only does weekdays mate if it's any help I can run it down for you through the week! Or drop it in with Alex and I'll grab it off him and get it done.

Disastra Coupe
Just so you know, there's no such thing as a full fat 172. Full fat refers to a 182 with leather and having both cup packs.

Nice though, Flamers are awesome - i am biased, mind.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
He only does weekdays mate if it's any help I can run it down for you through the week! Or drop it in with Alex and I'll grab it off him and get it done.
Aaah bugger, I need the car during the week as I commute to Chester every day. I could get the train in one day though... Let me have a think and I'll PM you. Cheers mate!
Just so you know, there's no such thing as a full fat 172. Full fat refers to a 182 with leather and having both cup packs.

Nice though, Flamers are awesome - i am biased, mind.

I didn't realise the term Full Fat was mutually exclusive to 182's, albeit it does have a slightly different meaning when referring to one or the other.

Id have thought the term was born when the 172 Cup came out, the lighter Semi-skimmed version. The non-Cup being the heavier, Full Fat version.

Disastra Coupe
Aaah bugger, I need the car during the week as I commute to Chester every day. I could get the train in one day though... Let me have a think and I'll PM you. Cheers mate!

I didn't realise the term Full Fat was mutually exclusive to 182's, albeit it does have a slightly different meaning when referring to one or the other.

Id have thought the term was born when the 172 Cup came out, the lighter Semi-skimmed version. The non-Cup being the heavier, Full Fat version.

Yea, that's what a lot of people first think! But no... Full fat as i say refers to a 182 non cup which has both Cup packs fitted :) Basically it means it's got everything - leather and climate control, cup suspension with anthracite wheels and the cup spoiler and splitter!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Great work, I love flamers, and the turinis look great. I have a recessed on mine, make sure it's fitted well and doesn't 'sag' too low. You're right, swapping the spoiler makes such a difference, the Trophy one on mine made a huge but still OEM change.

Yours looks great, what's planned next?

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Thanks Cub172, been following your Flamer for a bit now - coming along nicely isn't it!

Well I just have the exhaust to fit, test both Induction Kits and choose my preference.

Further plans are that I'm considering is a live remap to get that useable mid range power and get the most out of the breathable mods, not sure I want to go down the cams route as we're talking mega bucks then though arnt we?

Want to do a few track days so a coolant and brakes & pads refresh will be in order at the very least.

work for BMW
Very nice and lots of ££ spent ! The only thing I would change as its preferable to me is , with flame red I like black turinis or even silver. Don't think anthracite works as well.
check out what r-sports steves flamer looked like as that was perfect

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Yeah, see I dont think black works really, I quite dislike it even and wish my wheels weren't as dark. It's all down to taste though.

BG 182 FF
Yeah I know Alex very well he's been to my place a few times. Think he was after me doing your Cambelt but I was chocker.

Place in liverpool mate one stop garage. Proper hunter align.

There's also a place in Bootle, South African owner I think with the same system. Same place?

I think ill be getting mine done at http://www.blinkmotorsport.com/ its right by oulton park and they can set up the corner weighting as well as caster, camber etc. Although iv had no experience with them, they seemed helpful on the phone and iv heard there spoken highly on the Westfield forums.

Flamer looks spot on though. It looked even nicer when I seen it in real life the other night.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks Cub172, been following your Flamer for a bit now - coming along nicely isn't it!

Well I just have the exhaust to fit, test both Induction Kits and choose my preference.

Further plans are that I'm considering is a live remap to get that useable mid range power and get the most out of the breathable mods, not sure I want to go down the cams route as we're talking mega bucks then though arnt we?

Want to do a few track days so a coolant and brakes & pads refresh will be in order at the very least.

Cheers bud, i'm trying with mine ;)

Track days sound good, mine has been epic fun on Track. Cams are financially alot more viable if you need your belts done anyway. As a standalone expenditure they can be quite pricey £1500ish, but mine have been awesome and if you know you are keeping the car for a while, then its a worthwhile investment in my eyes.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Lovely car Rhauri! I'm sure I saw you a while back in Southport, at the roundabout at the far end of Lord St heading towards Morrisons. Well it was a Ph2 Flamer, never seen one in Southport before. Will have to keep my eyes peeled next time I'm home!

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Cheers chaps, loving the positive comments!

Nyall, what we're you in at the time, if anything? More than likely was me!

Monaco blue 172
There's also a place in Bootle, South African owner I think with the same system. Same place?

I think ill be getting mine done at http://www.blinkmotorsport.com/ its right by oulton park and they can set up the corner weighting as well as caster, camber etc. Although iv had no experience with them, they seemed helpful on the phone and iv heard there spoken highly on the Westfield forums.

Flamer looks spot on though. It looked even nicer when I seen it in real life the other night.

Steering and balljoint centre. Same set up twice the price.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Cheers chaps, loving the positive comments!

Nyall, what we're you in at the time, if anything? More than likely was me!

Would've been in my dark blue 306 mate, smokey old diesel.