ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rev limiter too easy to hit?

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Does anyone else hit he rev limiter in second and third a little too easily, especially on a bend. Done it twice this morning going up the slip road on to the motorway (starts on a bend). I don't know whether it's because...
a) i'm a crap driver.:eek:
b) the car is fairly effortless in them gears.
c) you don't feel like you are going as fast as you actually are.
or d) i'm a crap driver.:eek:
That's about the third or fourth time i've done this in about three weeks of ownership. I hope i haven't done any lasting damage and surely i'm not the only person to do this, so come on lets have your storys.;)

tiTTy & SV650
a or d lol you need to feel the car and its fairly obvious where you reach peak power in my opinion you hear and feel it begging for a gear change before the rev limiter

Is it when the cars still cold? Cause the rev limit is lower for about the 1st 15mins

mintblue said:
Does anyone else hit he rev limiter in second and third a little too easily, especially on a bend.

Hardly ever hit it personally, its nice and easy to feel and hear when the engine has reached its peak, power starts dropping off around 6500rpm I think so a change up at about 6250rpm is probably optimum.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
You can hit it easy when its cold as its lower like rory said but once its warm you should be changing way before you hit the limiter as you've already gone past peak power.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
rory182 said:
a or d lol you need to feel the car and its fairly obvious where you reach peak power in my opinion you hear and feel it begging for a gear change before the rev limiter

Is it when the cars still cold? Cause the rev limit is lower for about the 1st 15mins

The first time was when the car was cold, after i done that i looked on this forum and found out about the cold start rev limiter, which is a really good thing imo. This morning when i done it in second and third gear it was whilst in a rush to meet the missus. Btw i would say i'm a fairly decent driver (i've been driving 13 years, FFS!) so it aint a & b you cheeky fooker;).

tiTTy & SV650
lol no offence intended, but its obvious too me when it needs a change, and I've only been driving 7 years :rasp:

bounces off 6500rpm when cold and 7250 when warmed (after about 10 / 15mins)

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Chad said:
You can hit it easy when its cold as its lower like rory said but once its warm you should be changing way before you hit the limiter as you've already gone past peak power.

Well i was actually thinking that mine seems to pull right to the red line hence the effortless comment. i think it feels like it should rev higher than it does.:S Or it's just a quicker car than the last one i owned and it gets to the red line alot quicker.:approve:

R35 GTR
mine feels like it pulls all the way to the limit too, but a RR graph would show you when is best to change.i think.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
mintblue said:
Well i was actually thinking that mine seems to pull right to the red line hence the effortless comment. i think it feels like it should rev higher than it does.:S Or it's just a quicker car than the last one i owned and it gets to the red line alot quicker.:approve:

Wait till you get into 4th and 5th and see how quickly it wants to pull to the red line after peak power. I've driven a few of 172's most of which felt slower than mine but it still runs out of steam in top. I really think a 6 speed box would have been a good idea due to the power delivery of the engine. Its good that the first couple of gears are quite tall for the 0-60 but I personally think the other ratios should be a bit closer to get the most out of the power band.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
I've just realised what it was. I've switched back to Optimax from Tesco 99 ron. Good old Optimax.:approve:

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Deff if it's cold the limiter kicks a lot earlier, but I always wait 10 mins or so before "giving it some"

Meg 225 with cup packs.
rory182 said:
lol no offence intended, but its obvious too me when it needs a change, and I've only been driving 7 years :rasp:

bounces off 6500rpm when cold and 7250 when warmed (after about 10 / 15mins)

No offence taken mate. It's been obvious to me every time i've redlined it before and in all the other cars i've owned, apart from the three times in this b**ch.

Megane Trophy
In all fairness not to be harsh but you should know when the limiter and stay away from that if you can, when im driving all im doing is watching the road as far as i can see and keeping an eye on the rev counter

get a chip for it then and increase the limiter LOL

Chad said:
Wait till you get into 4th and 5th and see how quickly it wants to pull to the red line after peak power. I've driven a few of 172's most of which felt slower than mine but it still runs out of steam in top. I really think a 6 speed box would have been a good idea due to the power delivery of the engine. Its good that the first couple of gears are quite tall for the 0-60 but I personally think the other ratios should be a bit closer to get the most out of the power band.

thats one of the main problems i have with the 182.. it REALLY needs a 6th cruising gear. which would give the opportunity to shorten the others.

so you dont have to sit at 70mph screaming its tits off.. lol.

but then the more gearchanges may mean its slower..

my 182 feels like it pulls right to the redline and i do end up hitting th elimiter a fair bit. but im pretty sure it starts to die down around 6500 so may be best to change here. but does changing at 6500 land it back in the 'power band' so to speak on the next gear??

i know driving it hard to 7k then changing lands it right back where its ready to pull like a biatch.

I hit the limiter for what I think was the first time in my 9months of 172 ownership the other day! Was quite a shock as I wasn't expecting it. Turns out the engine obviously wasn't up to temp when I thought it was. Oops. :eek:

And yeah, a 6th gear for crusing on the motorway would be nice.

tiTTy & SV650
problem is they dont put 6th gear in as an overdrive, usually just close up the whole gear box dont they? like the gti-6

172cup
cold mine limits to 6200ish, warm to 7000... once i hit the limiter a few times driving like a twonk it'll let me rev to 7600ish. don't know why

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine
lagerlout1 said:
Don't think.... Feeeeeeel!

lol :)

Personally I can't understand why you'd be in 2nd or 3rd on a motorway slip road anyway? As for hitting the limiter, try picking a gear and speed that will get you all the way round a bend, never change half way through a corner.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Rick said:
lol :)

Personally I can't understand why you'd be in 2nd or 3rd on a motorway slip road anyway? As for hitting the limiter, try picking a gear and speed that will get you all the way round a bend, never change half way through a corner.
Why can't you understand i wouldn't be in second or third on a motorway slip road? The slip road starts with a bend fairly tight but is preceeded by traffic lights, the M27 junction 10 (Fareham) westbound if anyone knows it. If you nail it and want to use the full rev range you're gonna have to change gear mid bend. Maybe you don't have real bends near you:rasp:

mintblue said:
Why can't you understand i wouldn't be in second or third on a motorway slip road? The slip road starts with a bend fairly tight but is preceeded by traffic lights, the M27 junction 10 (Fareham) westbound if anyone knows it. If you nail it and want to use the full rev range you're gonna have to change gear mid bend. Maybe you don't have real bends near you:rasp:

he lives in lincolnshire mate... best bends around!

i can see why you would be in 2nd or 3rd on a slip road.. but not why you would want to change gear on a bend..

thats just asking for some lift off oversteer treatment!

Meg 225 with cup packs.
GuyS said:
i can see why you would be in 2nd or 3rd on a slip road.. but not why you would want to change gear on a bend..

thats just asking for some lift off oversteer treatment!
I didn't want to change gear on the bend, hence why i hit the rev limiter.:S

E91 M Sport
Does anyone find that the car pulls a little bit harder right before the limiter (when warm)? Most noticable in 2nd (due to being a short gear), probably picks up at 7000rpm but obviously crashes straight into the limiter a few moments later.

This could be due to my CDA airbox. Need a higher rev-limit to make the most of it :evil: :race:

Meg 225 with cup packs.
miketheman2k said:
Does anyone find that the car pulls a little bit harder right before the limiter (when warm)? Most noticable in 2nd (due to being a short gear), probably picks up at 7000rpm but obviously crashes straight into the limiter a few moments later.

This could be due to my CDA airbox. Need a higher rev-limit to make the most of it :evil: :race:
Yes deffo, like i said earlier it feels like it needs a higher limiter.

clio 200 F4Rt
i am forever hitting the limiter in 2nd and 3rd, car just seems to pull there so quick, and also, i am used still a bit used to driving my old saxo VTS, which would scream to 7800 rpm.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine
mintblue said:

Well the principle of finding a gear and speed for a corner still applies. How about changing into third before you get to the bend and steadlily accelerating through it, after all 3rd gear is good for about 80mph.

btw, if you class motorway slip roads as real bends then you deffo need to take a trip round the lincolnshire wolds! :)

BMW Z4 3.0i
I use 2nd and 3rd gear on the slip road so that I'm doing over a tonne by the time I get on the motorway! I slow down to 70-80 after that but it's a perk I enjoy. People don't expect you to be coming off the slip road that fast.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I agree gazcb i do this on a regular basis.Not always on motorways though,sometimes on an A road of my choosing...lol

ian