ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rev Limit / Gear change lights

Am I correct in thinking the rev limit on the 172/172cup is 7250 when warm and 6750 when cold?

secondly this may seem a daft question but is it only the cup that has the change lights?

also, is the change light an optimum shift point or a get ready for the limiter light?

Many thanks

NO.......................!

For the LAST time a cup IS a 172 without a few nice added bits, so YES it does have a gear shift light.

The light is basically a "you should really change up now or your going to hit the limmited" warning.

And yes the limmited is different if the car is hot or cold. (and there is no fecking way of knowing this, until you clober the limiter early and realise your car is still cold !)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by PASH on 18 July 2004

Am I correct in thinking the rev limit on the 172/172cup is 7250 when warm and 6750 when cold?
Yes, the limiter is 7250rpm, but only when the engine is fully warmed up, its 6500rpm if not up to temp.

secondly this may seem a daft question but is it only the cup that has the change lights?
No, some mk1 172s, all mk2 172s and 182s have it besides the Cup.

It was in a much better place in the mk1 172 over near the rev counter, as opposed to the daft place it is on the newer cars...

also, is the change light an optimum shift point or a get ready for the limiter light?
It is simply a warning that you are nearly at the limiter (as it varies) and not an optimum revs indication.

Ive heard of a few cars with disconnected lights (the 182 I drove was disconnected) so if you dont see it appear it migh just be a loose wire.

It come on (or should) 3 hundred rpm below the rev limiter I think. It works on the oil temp which is different than the coolent temp whcih can be seen on the dashboad light, basically its most likly the oil is colder than the coolent although if you rag if from cold the oil will get warmer than the coolent quicker so the rev limiter will be remove earlier.