ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Returning to the Clio fold...

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Hi guys,

I've been a member here since 2005 when I got my first black 1.2 16v Extreme at the age of 18. Late 2007 I got my second Clio, a Mk3 1.2TCE. After a year I was bored with this so chopped it in for a second hand 55 plate Megane 225.

Here's where we are today, the Megane, despite being under warranty (used car dealer warranty = rubbish) it has cost me over £2000 this year, and that's no exaggeration. I've had the gear linkage snap, £478 in January, the wheel bearings, hub pivot bearings and both stub axles become "worn and torn excessively" in March at over £1200 and now the window regulators are going, it rattles, the steering pulls again and it needs the Cam Belt (£1400 from Renault), a major service (£380 from Renault), Taxing and MoT'ing.

So, I've deleted all that and given it back to Renault and am about to take delivery of... a Clio 1.5 dCi GT. What a come down this is going to be. I'm very sad, but can't afford the ongoing issues that the Megane is giving me week in week out, it's wiped my savings out completely and it's only 4 years old. I adore the car, but I have to give it up. I keep telling myself it's not forever, just until I can afford a brand new one in the future.

Anyway, after dropping from my beloved 225bhp can anyone assure me that these 106 rampant french ponies that live under the bonnet of the 1.5 dCi are fun to drive with? I want some assurances that although it's not a mentalist Megane, it's still a good laugh and a good bit of kit?

I'm looking forward to (in comparison) hardly any costings as regarding fuel, tax and insurance. Also I've got 3 years free servicing, the Sat Nav screen option and Automatic Climate in it to try and make it feel like my Megane at least whilst it's stationary.

I hope you all can reassure me I'm doing the right thing, ultimately my Megane is choosing for me what comes next in my life, the Megane or a mortgage, and I know what I want more (it's the mortgage!). I want more than anything my own place (I rent at the moment) but the Megane keeps clearing out my savings and I can't keep it for that reason, it just seems endless.

A sad, but positive ex-Megane owner... :(

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Per the service and cambelt issue, that wouldnt cost anywhere near as much via an independant garage (BTM/K-Tec) etc

You seem in good spirit, cars much like gambling are a lottery.

Good/bad, you seem to have yourself a Friday afternoon car!

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
MPG mainly. Need to make some savings. Plus I'd prefer a brand new car. One of the things that annoys me about the Megane is the uncomfortable ride.

I'm sure this is the case with everyone, but I'd like a comfortable ride that doesn't grind away vertebrae, but returns 60mpg. Insurance is another. Because I'm in a finance agreement I'm limited so can only really go brand new (which financially limits my scope) or used (which I did with this Megane... look what happened there!).

I think it's the right decision we do a lot of miles so a diesel makes sense, I spend my time worrying about mpg at the moment and combining journeys or in worst case scenarios actually not going out to save fuel. Until I get a house I wanna keep costs down (the unpredictable ones!) I'd rather have a higher monthly payment knowing it's fixed, rather than the £300 per month average ABOVE my finance I've been paying in repairs on the Megane since January.

Someone please tell it's the sensible thing to do?!

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Per the service and cambelt issue, that wouldnt cost anywhere near as much via an independant garage (BTM/K-Tec) etc

You seem in good spirit, cars much like gambling are a lottery.

Good/bad, you seem to have yourself a Friday afternoon car!

I agree regarding the cam belt issue. Thing is, it's acting as a "cherry on the cake" thing at the moment. The steering is on it's way out again, and tonight the electrics are playing up. Trip computer giving odd readings with miles left etc.

Just seems like it's one after another, I loved the comfort and security of a brand new car I had, if it goes wrong, get it fixed.. for free!

Will still hurt to wave the Megane off though...

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Then after 3 years I'll just give it back and f**k off and buy something mental again.

At least I can say I've had my "sensible period". Joking aside, it's costing more per month but the fuel will be more than halfed, the insurance is half, road tax is nil and at least in the next 2 months I won't be waving goodbye to (what I've got prices for at an independant) the best part of £1000 on just keeping it on the road. So that's £1000 saved.

I can't look at it, it goes in Saturday. But still, I'll have my white dCi GT to blatt around at 32mph full tilt!

1.5dci
dci's rule, espec if it's a 106, mines only 65 and its amazing, doesn't quite have the same go, but leave changing gear to the 3.5k mark or above and its actually sounds prity gd and goes some, do 80 without even noticing on the motorways. Go and look at cliodci.net, theres a load of us who all think there amazing too

Nope I think your thinking ahead, something a lot of people don't do, and acting upon it - even less people do that!

In a few months time you'll be financially sound, get a mortage under you belt, and you never know 3 years down the line you could line yourself up with another performance car.

Mini Cooper S sport
The megs bizzarely seem to have poorer build than the 1*2's!

What do you base that on?

All I know is my Megane is better built than both of my Clios were.

Shame about the 225, sounds like you had a Friday afternoon one unfortunately. Least the Clio will hopefully save you some cash.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
What do you base that on?

All I know is my Megane is better built than both of my Clios were.

Shame about the 225, sounds like you had a Friday afternoon one unfortunately. Least the Clio will hopefully save you some cash.

He's not the only one with issues. Russ has had major issues with his, and it's under 3yrs old. Window regulators seem to be a regular thing as well. Mine gets the s**t beat out of it on a regular basis, and only after a 90k miles have things like ball joints and racks started f**king up (no wonder with camber, sticky tyres and track days!).
End of the day, the French don't build well engineered cars. The more things on them, the more to go wrong.
Not sure I would of gone for another French car, but no doubt it'll be cheaper!

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
I can see it from both sides to be honest. Mines been a nightmare but I know of a few that have been good. Problem is with these performance cars you get hefty repair bills.

What I will say is my mechanic who fixed my stub axles and wheel bearings also said they are a common fault, he's fixed a couple in the past few months on RS Meganes.

I'm finding it very difficult at 23 to use my maturity. I've got a big test drive tomorrow morning in the dCi, to say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement. But hopefully, after 3 years I'll be in a better position with a house and I can have a performance car again.

Will post back tomorrow when I've woken up after driving the dCi and let you know what I think.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I can see it from both sides to be honest. Mines been a nightmare but I know of a few that have been good. Problem is with these performance cars you get hefty repair bills.

What I will say is my mechanic who fixed my stub axles and wheel bearings also said they are a common fault, he's fixed a couple in the past few months on RS Meganes.

I'm finding it very difficult at 23 to use my maturity. I've got a big test drive tomorrow morning in the dCi, to say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement. But hopefully, after 3 years I'll be in a better position with a house and I can have a performance car again.

Will post back tomorrow when I've woken up after driving the dCi and let you know what I think.

Have you not thought about getting something a bit older? Mk5 golf diesel etc?

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Thought about it yeah, issue being is that I'm in finance on the Megane, and I doubt I'd get the price for the Megane through anywhere else (bearing in mind it has issues).

Also I've had a major issue with the dealership, who I believe in their own way are giving me top whack for the Megane in this exchange as a makeweight and to make up for their poor service earlier in the year I experienced.

So as I see it, I have to stay with Renault and want to go brand new because of the issues with this used one I've had, so I'm left with little choice.

At least it's relatively nice looking? (Clio GT).