ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Restoring the front grill on a 1*2

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I'm assuming that a long time ago, the front grills on all 1*2s were black. The one on my Trophy and now my Cup is a pale shade of grey, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on restoring it back to its former glory?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Spray doesn't last though. It'll chip and look s**t.

Get some trim restorer/dressing on it.

Failing that, warm it up with a hair dryer/heat gun to get the colour back then apply a trim dressing to maintain it

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What about solution finish, seems to be very good.

I tried peanut butter. Looked well for two days

I'm assuming that a long time ago, the front grills on all 1*2s were black. The one on my Trophy and now my Cup is a pale shade of grey, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on restoring it back to its former glory?
The grills were never black if you buy a new one it looks the same, there not sun damaged because the grills the same colour under the bonnet which sees no light.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
That's true, annoyingly. I will be investing in some solution finish next week and if the weather holds on my day off (Thursday) will give it a blast

Looking....
Everyone loves a 50/50

20160609_135407.jpg

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I restored a grille with Dlux recently and it came up like brand new.

I used one of these to apply it and it took about 10 minutes to do the whole grille.
image.jpeg

I've got solution finish and although it is a decent product it's not a patch on Dlux.

RB Clio 182
I bought a brand new grill from renault and it was grey, its a really shitty plastic to restore, I also use maguiars endurance gel on it although only a tiny bit which lasts a week until the next wash.

Everything else that I have tried on the grill doesn't look any different.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mine are looking a bit sad. Got all excited after applying peanut butter, sadly it didn't last

Titanium Clio 182
I just bought a new one off Paul from Renault parts direct. Was about £70 including postage as mine was cracked and sun abused grey too :)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Titanium Clio 182
I can sort tomorrow for you mate if that's okay. Mine was grey and original and new one is not glossy black but kinda metallic ish! Looks great and saves you smashing it on removal and trying to restore as it's harder to get out then put new one in.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I was going to take mine out and make a mess of spraying it. Will give solution finish a blast and see what it's like.

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Awesome cheers all, Solution Finish sounds like it could be the answer then! Will take a look at it. Although saying that, if they were never black to start with (I just assumed that), might not make much of a difference anyway.

RB Clio 182
Awesome cheers all, Solution Finish sounds like it could be the answer then! Will take a look at it. Although saying that, if they were never black to start with (I just assumed that), might not make much of a difference anyway.

Just makes it a touch darker grey rather than blue/light grey.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Sprayed with Halfords satin black paint a year ago. No chips yet 8,000 miles later. Car doesn't see much of the motorway though. I didn't prime the grill first, just cleaned it properly, painted and then applied lacquer. Really happy with the results.

Also did the lower grill and fog surrounds too. Wish I had a before photo (and a betterr after one) but it's made a world of difference and hasn't started too look tacky.

upload%205_zpswuoawdln.jpg