ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Respray

Clio 1,2 16V
My Clio was a category D and the wings and bonnet are a different colour and i want to get them resprayed but then i was thinking about a full body respray in a non-Clio colour my mate said liquid yellow or arctic white. Does anyone how much it would cost about a full body respray ?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
:lolup:

I paid £550 for a complete respray in a new colour... including bumper repairs to the front and rear. Shopping around is the key!

And I would be able to pick fault with every single panel over the entire car.

So someone removed your engine and entire interior, all of the glass and rubbers, rubbed down and repaired the whole car, painted it, polished it, re-fitted the engine and the interior.... For £550?

Stroll on.

182, 6r GTi

So someone removed your engine and entire interior, all of the glass and rubbers, rubbed down and repaired the whole car, painted it, polished it, re-fitted the engine and the interior.... For £550?

Stroll on.

100% with you on this, and tbh im yet to see anywhere near me that can do a decent respray :/

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I'm with dan on this, i paid over half that just to have a door done and blended in. Even then I could still tell it had been done, and it had to go back t be redone

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

Stroll on.

Why do you need to take the interior out? Genuine question... unless you're going for a complete bare shell respray lets be honest how many people bother with that?

I'm sure you could pick faults but at the end of the day it's a cat-D 1.2, does he want the best paint job in the world for mega money or just something that looks good and is cheap as chips? He's not re-spraying a £15k motor.

172 + 1.2
You would need to paint all the shuts so any trims and rubbers around them need stripped, need to strip all around the windows to cut them out, also if you're doing a "proper" full colour change you'd want to dust over parts of the inside but that's an extreme case! Id agree if you want a top job you're looking at a couple thousand, having said that peoples opinion of a good job can be very different to what is actually a good job! As long as its shiny alot of people wouldn't know nor care about imperfections, so a £500 respray may be fine for them. Personally, and i'm in the trade, id never spend that much money on any car to have it painted!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why do you need to take the interior out? Genuine question... unless you're going for a complete bare shell respray lets be honest how many people bother with that?

I'm sure you could pick faults but at the end of the day it's a cat-D 1.2, does he want the best paint job in the world for mega money or just something that looks good and is cheap as chips? He's not re-spraying a £15k motor.

You said you had a complete colour change respray. To do that, you need to take the interior out otherwise it will be a different colour. If its a different colour, it isn't a complete respray.

This is my mates car having a proper repaint, that took us 3 days to strip down.

391147_294755583900647_100000986224113_834318_1798348968_n.jpg

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
No he didn't bother with that... I didn't see any signs of the original colour apart from under the bonnet. At the end of the day I'd rather do it my way and save £1,500 :) each to their own! The car was only worth £2,500 so sod spending nearly the same again on a paint job.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No he didn't bother with that... I didn't see any signs of the original colour apart from under the bonnet. At the end of the day I'd rather do it my way and save £1,500 :) each to their own! The car was only worth £2,500 so sod spending nearly the same again on a paint job.

The OP asked a question. ''How much for a full body respray?''

I answered that question.

Yes a quick blow over can be had for £500 but that isn't a full body respray. Its a quick blow over.

At the end of the day, if you're going to do a job, do it properly or not at all.

Renault Scenic 182
When in trade i did a few near full paint jobs but only one full colour change, cause i only did good high quality jobs, i did it for £1200 in pure gloss Jet black, blackest of the black and machine polished it to deep gloss all over from 3000 gritted finish, not just gun finish as some shops turn out.... that also included bagging the engine and loom and removing all doors and windows as on Toyota's they have complex door shut angles and bonded in windows with high shrinkage seals (ie if you mask them, they will be fine when painting and warming in booth but soon as t comes to a cold day they'll shrink and you'll have a lovely coloured line..)

£2k in my eyes is too much and i say that from experience, unless that includes repairing numerous panels and dent pinning 5 or 6 panels from a crash damage state.

for the original poster, dont bother, enjoy the car for what it is, if you thought it was worth doing youd have done it by now, 95% of people that came asking for quotes with ideas like this never ended up having it done..

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Flol at £500 for a respray. I could leave everything on the car and not be able to do it RIGHT for that money!

Mental! I'm sure it looks awesome!

To the OP get rid of the car and start again fresh.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I got a quote off a guy who painted porsche's (1.2 Clio) for £1000 and that included engine bay and shut lines, and refurbing my alloy wheels

I'm sorry but how?! It would cost that in abour alone just to remove everything.

Clio
i wanted to get mine cc'd a while back and took the cheaper option. 100 pound from a"pro" painter local to me i was 17 and thought great!.. within 2 weeks the paint just fell off in patches!! i then had to go to the dearer option and say fix this please.. moral off the story you get what you pay for

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
the end of the day, if you're going to do a job, do it properly or not at all.

I never had any problems with my paint job :) maybe it wasn't the best in the world to a trained eye (my eye isn't trained, lol, so it looked perfect to me) I found one smudge mark on the car and took it back and he sprayed that panel for free.

Maybe you're the one being 'had'!

Evo 5 RS
I never had any problems with my paint job :) maybe it wasn't the best in the world to a trained eye (my eye isn't trained, lol, so it looked perfect to me) I found one smudge mark on the car and took it back and he sprayed that panel for free.

Maybe you're the one being 'had'!

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
Wow forgot how many people was up their own ass on here! End of the day, it's a 1.2 clio, he ISN'T gonna be stupid enough to pay £2000 for a respray, and Kayzee simply offered some input.

Wow forgot how many people was up their own ass on here! End of the day, it's a 1.2 clio, he ISN'T gonna be stupid enough to pay £2000 for a respray, and Kayzee simply offered some input.

Some useless input at that, he got a bodge respray at best and claims that anyone can get a "full" respray for £500 which is impossible.

Punto/Clio GTT
depends how far you want to take it tbh, thats all it boils down to

anal people (Daniel) will be the ones paying 2k+, but theirs will be engine out, full interior out etc

then you got your normal full respray which doesnt include the engine bay or under carpets/inner quarters etc. this will be all panels off (bonnet/bumpers/doors/wings/tailgate) prepped and painted, prices youre looking from 1k upto 2k or maybe a bit more

then you got your budget repsray which is just the outside of the car and maybe in the door appatures. anything from 500-1.5k

FYI i just got a quote of a full respray in white for £500, thats all panels took off, and painted (not engine bay) (albeit i have prepped it all myself)

and you cant determine "quality" of work if they havnt painted an engine bay. a £1000 respray in some cases can look better than a £3000 respray, it simply depends on the bodyshop and the quality of work they put out.

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
Have anyone seen the car though to comment on it? Last year I got a fully working, unlocked iPhone 4 off ebay for £100, does that make it s**t?! No, I just got a bargain.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Pipe down boy.

The OP asked how much it cost for a FULL RESPRAY. I replied to that question.

Other people then said they paid £500 for a quick blow over.

Now if you re-read the OP, he never said ''How much for a quick blow over''. He asked How much for a FULL RESPRAY.

Nugget.

Renault Scenic 182
Im sorry but as mentioned above theres some uneducated people giving advice that £2k+ gets you a good paint job, nonsense, £500 inside and out NO but £1200-£1300 YES

i gave an honest oppinion of what i used to charge AND was in trade for 2 and half years, not just sitting behind my keybourd dreaming up figures, theres 2 types of paint jobs
rme
1) Flat down and check all panels for straightness, clean door edges and repair car park door/quarter dents and then paint
2) Repair the crash damage/ major rust found, bare metal sides and prime whole car, block car flat, reprime and block again, base car up and all door shuts, refit all panels, base all up again, laquer, bake dry, flat smooth, relaquer, bake and let set and then flat and machine polish

i thought we were onabout option 1...... i didnt walk into the concourse car section by accident did i? i did a few cocnours paint jobs but quite frankly never had a price to work to, "whatever it needs" was usualy the sort of phrase..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Im sorry but as mentioned above theres some uneducated people giving advice that £2k+ gets you a good paint job, nonsense,

i gave an honest oppinion of what i used to charge AND was in trade for 2 and half years, not just sitting behind my keybourd dreaming up figures,

Are you implying that I am uneducated with regards to vehicle preperation?

Renault Scenic 182
If you think a decent paint job cant be done for less than 2k then your either so far away from the painting scene or worked for HOK for the last 5 years

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
I paid almost 2k to have two sides, a bonnet and a bumper painted. And I can still pick flaws with it if I felt like it.

If someone quoted me £500 for a paint job, I'd literally laugh in their face.

Evo 5 RS
If you think a decent paint job cant be done for less than 2k then your either so far away from the painting scene or worked for HOK for the last 5 years

Labour rates are different down here Gandolf. Besides, you're talking in past tense. You don't paint any more do yah

Renault Scenic 182
Labour rates are different down here Gandolf. Besides, you're talking in past tense. You don't paint any more do yah

Yeah the old north/south devide, you pay through the roof for most stuff BUT were onabout average prices and theyre surely cant be that much difference in labour price where bodywork is concerned?

Give me a unit with a booth again and id do it any day, the ONLY reason i gave it up is my little lad was on way and i got offered my old job as a warehouse supervisor back, ie solid reliable income with far less hours, certainly nothing to do with not wanting to do it anymore, quite miss it tbh :(