ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing front springs, what should i replace?

Clio 182
Im replacing my front springs shortly and just wondered if there was any thing i should replace whilst they are apart and off the car.

mk1 Octavia VRS
What car and what springs?

Worth replacing the dust covers, mine were shot. If you haven't replaced the shocks before then it might be worth replacing them with cup shocks especially if you are fitting lowering springs.

If you'll be using the car on track you could also think about fitting camber bolts.

Don't forget to get your traking adjusted once fitted :)

330i. E30 Touring.
Tracking check isn't needed after a spring change unless it's a super dooper pinpoint spec racecar tbh.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Tracking check isn't needed after a spring change unless it's a super dooper pinpoint spec racecar tbh.
Chances are the ride height will be different with new springs which will affect the toe. Also when taking suspension parts apart and re-assembling the alignment is often affected even if no parts are replaced - I had front wheel bearings replaced on another car and the tracking was out afterwards.

Up to the OP if he gets the tracking done or not but based on my experience I would definitely recommend getting it done.

Clio 182
Thanks, for help, is it worth replacing the top mounts whilst there off?

I will be getting the tracking done as its never been done in the time ive had the car so will get it checked

I think tracking should be done once springs settle .
I didn't need mine adjusted after putting eibach springs on

mk1 Octavia VRS
Thanks, for help, is it worth replacing the top mounts whilst there off?

I will be getting the tracking done as its never been done in the time ive had the car so will get it checked

I didn't, just cleaned everything up when re-assembling. Depends how far you want to go with replacing things!

I think tracking should be done once springs settle .
I didn't need mine adjusted after putting eibach springs on

Toe will be altered by changing the front ride height on a Clio - it can still be out even if your steering is straight. If it's out it will affect the handling and wear the tyres more on the inside/outside edges depending which way it's pointing.

I didn't, just cleaned everything up when re-assembling. Depends how far you want to go with replacing things!

Toe will be altered by changing the front ride height on a Clio - it can still be out even if your steering is straight. If it's out it will affect the handling and wear the tyres more on the inside/outside edges depending which way it's pointing.
Just had 20 k out tyres with even wear after my suspension refresh

mk1 Octavia VRS
Just had 20 k out tyres with even wear after my suspension refresh
If you previously had standard springs and had lowering springs fitted the tracking would've most likely needed to be adjusted to wear tyres evenly over 20k miles. If you got it done at a garage maybe they just did it as part of the work but didn't tell you.

If you previously had standard springs and had lowering springs fitted the tracking would've most likely needed to be adjusted to wear tyres evenly over 20k miles. If you got it done at a garage maybe they just did it as part of the work but didn't tell you.
Friend did it ...I was going to wait few weeks to do the tracking as progressive springs will change until the settle so I don't see point in doing it on initial set up . Felt everything was fine after and never bothered .

mk1 Octavia VRS
Yours sounds like a rare exception then - did you change from standard springs? When I changed my springs to Eibach Pro-kit the tracking was way out.

PH2 172
What car and what springs?

Worth replacing the dust covers, mine were shot. If you haven't replaced the shocks before then it might be worth replacing them with cup shocks especially if you are fitting lowering springs.

If you'll be using the car on track you could also think about fitting camber bolts.

Don't forget to get your traking adjusted once fitted :smile:

8 out of 10 reply,but cup 182 shocks will have 60mm bolt spacing,not 56 mm,so perhaps not such a good idea.

mk1 Octavia VRS
8 out of 10 reply,but cup 182 shocks will have 60mm bolt spacing,not 56 mm,so perhaps not such a good idea.
172 cup shocks will fit a non-cup 182 though - I was on my phone when I replied so couldn't see the OP's car, hence asking what car it was for.

PH2 172
172 cup shocks will fit a non-cup 182 though - I was on my phone when I replied so couldn't see the OP's car, hence asking what car it was for.
Fair point.I think we should ask why OP why he feels he needs to change the springs and what the existing shock/spring/ride height specs are?
Some non OE shocks will have camber adjustment,which needs to be noted before disassembly.

PH2 172
Im replacing my front springs shortly and just wondered if there was any thing i should replace whilst they are apart and off the car.
Why are you changing the front springs?It`s not something you would do for amusement,so you`re hoping to achieve what?

PH2 172
Why are you changing the front springs?It`s not something you would do for amusement,so you`re hoping to achieve what?

To anwer my own question,you put out a shout for some 40mm lowering springs earlier in the week.
The dust covers was a good reply,change top mounts if they are noisy or notchy,otherwise just lube the bearings.
If you do change the top mounts,get the aftermarket ones on ebay or from a motor factor.They will be an exact copy of what you have.The modified Renault kit presents problems.