ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing CV Boot on 182 with Cup Packs

I've been replaced the front wheel bearings and hub at the weekend after it was trashed by a garage and discovered in doing so that my OSF outer CV boot is split. My options seem to be:
  1. Replace whole driveshaft. (KTec think this is most cost effective, maybe because they don't sell the gaitors?)
  2. Replace the boot with a new one. The one I've found at a local motor factor seems to be a rigid plastic, not a nice bendy rubber. Has anyone come across this type before? It looks like it would require removing the CV from the drive shaft, is this possible/simple?
  3. Split CV boot aka Sticky Boot. Found in another motor factors. Looks like complete crap.
  4. Stretch CV boot. These seem to get some good reviews, has anyone got experience with one they know fits a cup packed 182?

I'm leaning towards the stech boot so if anyone has an experience with one it'd be great to hear what you think.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I would buy a genuine renault drive shaft as they are only around £125 with handing your old one back (surcharge unit)

The drive shaft would then just be a matter of fitting as it comes with everything

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Option 1 I wouldn't consider as it's unnecessary. Unless the CV has run dry. In that case I would replace the CV joint.

Option 2, you would have to remove the CV with a hammer, making sure you don't loose the circlip.

Option 3 I have no experience of however have tried to glue splits in boots before and found it very difficult to get a durable seal.

Option 4 I would use a stretch boot. They are about £3 + the cone at about a fiver. Used these on several different cars from fiat 500 to 172 and they are great. Never a problem with fitment and once the driveshaft is out take all of five minutes to put on and clamp up.

If you like your wallet that's the best choice.

J&R CV joints are your best bet :)

Lionel Richie
no no no no no! Buy the genuine boot kit from Renault for £35ish (stretch ones are s**t!!) remove driveshaft from car, knock outer CV off with block of wood and a large hammer, replace, done - 1 hour tops

A new genuine one sounds sensible if they're that easy to fit. The hubs off the car already so I take it the drive shaft just pulld out without losing any gearbox oil? Do you know if there's anywhere I could buy one online or over the phone as I'm not going to be able to get to the dealers before the weekend and I starting to get tired of riding to work in the rain.

Lionel Richie
01902 439264 Adam Renault wolverhampton (will be engaged, so keep trying)

drivers sdie = no oil loss
passenger side = drain the box

Thanks, I'll get the CV joint off tonight and order the boot tomorrow assuming all goes to plan. Thanks for the opinions everyone.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
no no no no no! Buy the genuine boot kit from Renault for £35ish (stretch ones are s**t!!) remove driveshaft from car, knock outer CV off with block of wood and a large hammer, replace, done - 1 hour tops

What's wrong with stretch Fred? I've had nothing but good experiences with them and no problems with longevity.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Fit one to a Clio RS and if it makes 6 months its doing well!

Stretchy boots are made of a rubber and as the CV's run a seriously aggressive angle the rubber edges rub against one another when turning which destroys the boot. Genuine Renault items (or even FPS replacements) are plastic which are designed specifically to resist this kind of wear which is why they should be used.

Well, picked up a new boot from a motor factors who're open late, it was the plasticy type not a rubbery one. The driveshaft came apart ok with a few smacks from a big hammer and the boot went on ok. However the driveshaft seems to have grown a couple of inches in the process so I think I've not driven the CV joint back on fully. Hopefully I can finish the job up tomorrow.

So I probably should have watched this before removing the CV joint.

[video=youtube_share;u8Y2Om-d6yo]http://youtu.be/u8Y2Om-d6yo[/video]

Was there a clip like the one at 1:20 hiding in the grease I was supposed to remove before breaking out the big hammer? I found a clip, but without the bits to squeeze apart. I'm not sure if they sheared off and are hiding in the grease or if the clip is meant to be pushed into the groove in the driveshaft by the hammering...

New driveshaft time? It's still on the car awaiting further hammering at the moment.

Lionel Richie
just a locking clip, you just t**t the cv off and then when refitting you just pop it under the splines (the open ends) and t**t it back on

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The CV boots on these Clios are an utter fail of design. How they expect a simple clip to hold it in place and retain the grease in the boot itself, is beyond me.

I've had several clips and boots replaced over the years. Just crap. It only takes a few small splatters of CV grease to land on the inner rim of the alloy to make it feel like the whole wheel needs rebalancing. By the way, a simple warm water and Fairy washing liquid mix makes short work of grease splats on the alloys - if anyone was interested. ;)

D.