ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repeated TDC Sensor Fouling

Clio 182
Recently bought an 04 plate 182 in need of TLC, having being on the lookout for a fun/track car for some time. When it runs, I'm loving the car and it puts a smile on my face every time, despite the cheep tyres currently fitted.

Unfortunately, my learning curve has already been steep, but have found this forum a great resource for finding out how to do lots of things; flip side of French engineering quality is that loads of others have already experienced the same problems and posted fixes and how to guides to help others.

One issue remains unresolved though and I can't find any info on here. Had the common starting issue with the (blue) TDC sensor, so removed it, cleaned up the magnetised debris off it and it started first time. Ran fine for a few days then did it again. Cleaned up and was OK again, so assumed the sensor was on way out so bought an eBay replacement to check (with the intention of getting a Renault part if it fixed the problem). Having fitted it at the weekend, and run fine, the damn thing wouldn't start yesterday so had to wip the new TDC out and give it a wipe (didn't look particularly dirty) and it started first time...

Plenty of threads about TDC problems on here, but haven't found any about causes/fixes for repeated fouling. Any advice or pointers to similar threads gratefully received.

Car is lumpy at idle, but from research, this could be just a characteristic of this 182 so not sure if this is an issue. Have run an OBD2 diagnostic, but got the generic P0300 error code which is no surprise, but no help.

Cheers

Clio 182
Thanks for the link - sounds very similar.
Mine did it again today! Currently, every 4-5th drive it won't start..... And always from cold. As the last time, the tip looked very clean...
Wiggled the cable before removing and it didn't fix it, as had the idea that it isn't the TDC, but the process of removing it, that fixes the problem, as you suggest...
The TDC has been upgraded to the blue version, and I've put a new one in. I did note that the sensor is a little loose in the cradle so taped it up tight before refitting. Also tried to blow away any dust/fragments from the location before refitting.
Checked the MAP sensor and other sensors and all seemed tight. If battery, injector or temp sensor playing up, can't see how it could fix itself whist I remove the TDC, clean and replace (got it down to just over 12 minutes from start to finish now...).
Did note that there were 2 cut wires taped up with the TDC wires so propose to remover the insulating tape and have a better look in case join is a botch job.
Having fixed it, did take the car out for a 20 min blast, which did put a smile back on my face...
If you get any luck fixing, please let me know! Cheers

Ph2 172
The blue sensor that was first on, is it a Renault one? I agree, I can't see what else it could be when cleaning the sensor solves the issue, but why does it keep doing it with a new one!? Does no one have a genuine sensor you could borrow? Not sure how reliable an eBay one would be.

Does the wiring have tape around it or heatshrink? I think the new sensor came with heatshrink so of it is tape there's a chance the connection might be shoddy