ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repairing Apple Mac's

TTRS & V50
Never noticed this section of the site, what a n00b.

Anyway, back in september last year I bought a 15' 2.66 Mac Book Pro for Uni.

It go to January and it lasted that long without anything serious happening in a student house, good going I say.

Until i decided to spill literally a full cup of tea over the keyboard, anyway went in for repair and was unethical due the mother board being fucked.

Got a new one anyway through house insurance (only insured for 800, bad times)

Any one repair them ?

I have the job sheet with what it need etc..

Also I will give everything BRAND NEW with it, as I only took the Mac out the new one I bought and used my existing charger etc.

Tom

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'd have a crack if I were you. They're not hard.

aaronc on here offers laptop repair IIRC. Might be worth a PM.

TTRS & V50
I am tempted, but its a machine worth well over 1k.

Well I'd be happy to sell it, seeing its all boxed up and gathering dust. Or I'm happy to pay someone, not sure whats the best option really..

Clearly fixing it myself would be the best option but then again it's not something i would like to do..

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
See that's the thing.

I have absolutely no idea what it is worth.

Clearly 100 pound would not suffice, but still..

what does the job sheet say? work out how much the parts will be, and take that plus a couple of hundred off so its worth someone repairing

TTRS & V50
what does the job sheet say? work out how much the parts will be, and take that plus a couple of hundred off so its worth someone repairing

You must have completely miss-understood the fact that the insurance deemed it to be an un-ethical repair !

Labour on the job sheet was a mere £80 IIRC.

But there are ways around it like in the car would, car has prang, un-ethical repair, buy car back and go scrappy, job done.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
un-ethical? Is that where you get Robert Mugabe to repair it or do you mean uneconomical? lol

It's unlikely that you'll be able to repair it for less than it'd cost to buy a second hand machine anyway, so it all seems pointless to me.

Broken Macbook+Bin=Solution.

(I'd keep the charger for when your current one breaks with wear and tear)

Audi Q7, Avalanche
post up the job sheet, as suggested, its akin to repairing a car. Many people will simply state replacing an entire panel instead of repairing it as they feel it is easier labor wise, people like making things easier for themselves in all job genres, computer tech is no different.

As stated, post up the job sheet and that will be a big indicator. I would presume they are replacing the entire mother board and some of its peripherals due to liquid damage.

TTRS & V50
Well, it's been a while, an it's annoying me a bit. Horrendous waste of money. Not quite as bad as buying a 200 on PCP and realising you can't afford the fuel on it though.

Jobsheet as requested.

The question is, what would YOU do ? In my situation.

jobsheet.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
You have to remember that apple tax is added to all those parts. So to get them from elsewhere will probably come in cheaper than that. To be honest it looks like it should be repairable.

I'd be surprised if anyone gave you anything.

It's a 2 year old broken laptop that needs a lot of money spending on it. It's simply not worth paying for a new logic board when you can buy a MacBook Air less than the cost of one part.

I'd probably eBay it. With the pictures and leave out the jobsheet. Say you've spilt tea and it's broken. Someone will buy it. But you won't get much.

TTRS & V50
However I took it to the genius bar and tried to get them to repair it through Apple Care, as I've had friends do the same, although clearly their logic board wasn't fubared.

So here is the bill from Apple, they said they would subsidise the labour ONLY. Have part prices gone down in one year ? Or is this bill pre-"Apple Tax".

Screen shot 2011-12-17 at 15.03.33.png

TTRS & V50
I just see it as a waste. I hate waste.

Well looking at the two quotes. Apple is £674 minus the £24 labour so £650.

Is that really that bad for a practically brand new 2.66 15inch MBP.

Can I minus the £119 for a HD as the first job sheet says I don't need one.

So potentially £530 ?

Just asking what other people would do. Have considered eBay, but I'd rather keep for what I'd get out of principle, lol.

Lol. But you don't need two?

They normally replace everything the liquid touches. Regardless of it still working. So you don't have more troubles with it.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
From that list and the previous diagnosis, they managed to get the computer to boot using the disc drive but couldn't get the computer to recognise the HDD but they managed to copy data from the HDD and they said it appeared to be fine. Which would mean that the keyboard does work still, the optical drive works, the HDD works, so all you would really need is the logic board replacing to have a functioning macbook.

TTRS & V50
I don't need two. But parents can be treated.

I can always risk not replacing the HD, as it's not exactly a huge task changing it.

I'll have words with apple and see if I can get the repair down to £530.

I find it sad seeing written off cars days in and day out at work due to un-economical, lol. I don't wanna write my Mac off ;)

TTRS & V50
From that list and the previous diagnosis, they managed to get the computer to boot using the disc drive but couldn't get the computer to recognise the HDD but they managed to copy data from the HDD and they said it appeared to be fine. Which would mean that the keyboard does work still, the optical drive works, the HDD works, so all you would really need is the logic board replacing to have a functioning macbook.

Keyboard is f**ked. Every key you press stays stuck in, lol. Was a FULL cup of tea with 2 and half sugars. It's sure sticky. Although I agree with HDD.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well then that's just the sugar sticking, surely (forgive me if I'm wrong as I've never tried it) remove the keyboard section, bathe in alcohol (don't mean beer or wine!), leave to dry completely, see if keys are unstuck, repeat process if not completely unstuck.