ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup - Racing Blue

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Hi all, finally, something I can contribute to the CS.net forum with! :approve:

RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup – Racing blue

A major paint correction detail with engine-bay work.

Product

· 3M Glass Cleaner
· 3M Ultra fina
· 3M Extra fine
· AutoSmart Tardis
· AutoSmart G101
· AutoGlym Vinyl & Rubber Care
· AMDetails clay bar
· Belgom ALU
· Chemical Guys New Look Trim
· Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
· Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
· Dodo Juice Supernatural wax
· G-Techniq C4 trim restorer
· Iron-X
· Jeffs Werkstat Prime
· Meguiars Last Touch
· Meguiars Super Degreaser
· Meguiars Wheel Brightener
· Menzerna 85RD 3.02
· Menzerna 203s
· Zaino Z6

On arrival: (vehicle had just driven from Cornwall, hence the bugs!)

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Engine:

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Initial defect inspection:

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

More exterior befores:

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

DSC_0027.jpg

For the owner, this was a new car - picked it up some 5 week ago. The vehicle is a 54 plate with 54k miles on the clocks.

It was hot today. An early start (8am) allowed the best part of the ‘wet-work’ to happen before the sun got too warm… First up, wheels and arches.

Tar deposits removed from wheels and arch-linings with AS Tardis:

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

With the wheels, arches and door shuts out of the way, the lowers and front-end were pre-soaked with AS Hazsafe (non caustic TFR)

Bug carcass’ being softening up in readiness for pressure rinse:

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Undercarriage quite built-up and contaminated (tar etc)

Before/after:

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

After Hazsafe was rinsed, Bilt Hamber AutoFoam applied whilst intricate ‘non reach’ areas were dealt with with a soft bristled brush or two..

DSC_0040.jpg

After the foam and pre-rinse, car was virtually clean!

Two bucket wash with a merino mitt, Dodo BTBM and lots of rinsing to avoid water spotting…

Vehicle pulled into the shade for claying to commence; usually, decontaminating the paintwork is a drawn out process – if still working outside in the full sun, you’re pretty much guaranteed to have water marks appearing.

DSC_0052.jpg

Clay bar after the back end of the car – certainly a worthwhile job today…

DSC_0061.jpg

With the car fully clayed and tar deposits removed, it was back outside for another rinse and water ‘sheeting’ session.

Rinsed, but lots of standing water:

DSC_0053.jpg

After sheeting the water over the (contaminant free) panels, we’re left with very little remaining water to chase with our drying towels:

DSC_0054.jpg

The sun now showing the car’s true condition:

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

From 5ft away, great!

DSC_0066-1.jpg

But get in close, ooh..

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

Lots of swirls to tackle, but, more worryingly, a decent spread of random deep scratches, too…

Front reg. plate glue remains removed:

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

Bonnet under halogens:

DSC_0080.jpg

Showing possible signs of spray work:

DSC_0081.jpg

After contacting the previous owner to learn a little more about the vehicles history, they knew nothing about any repair/bodyshop doings but he had brought the car from a Dealership, so, it could have been them that blew over the front end (bumper included) to fix any stone chips etc before selling the car on.

The defects were deep. Typical ‘soft’ Renault paint proving a bit of a nightmare to work with… Quite a challenge to dig down to remove/reduce some of the worst of the defects.

DSC_0087.jpg

Correction before refinement:

DSC_0089.jpg

O/S front wing before/after:

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

O/S door before (under bump-strip)

DSC_0107.jpg

After (above bump-strip)

DSC_0108.jpg

Much like the bonnet, the roof was suffering from some heavy scratches…

50/50:

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg
DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

Note correction levels; one or two deep nicks remain.

DSC_0134.jpg

Refining with 3M yellow polishing and Men 203s:

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

Bootlid before/after:

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

The boot lid, roof and bonnet proved to be a tricky and timely process… (working around the racing stripes!)

With the front door open, the sun poured in to the unit giving this before and after:

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

Area on roof before correction:

DSC_0169.jpg

And another area after..

DSC_0171.jpg

Spinning the car round:

DSC_0172.jpg

Improving things slightly on the sills:

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

N/S door:

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

Another before/after shot of the striped area on roof: (required patience, a steady hand and lots of tape!)

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

The striped channels on the bootlid were tough… The area was tiny; overlapping correction passes in the same spot over and over soon leads to heat build-up.

DSC_0192.jpg

Ah-ha! Putting Dodo’s mini wool mop to the test!

DSC_0198.jpg

Although it hologramed badly (to be expected (esp. with my approach)) heat wasn’t an issue and was refined down effortlessly afterwards with a 3m yellow spot pad and more Menz 203s.

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

Wool also used on rear bumper.

DSC_0200.jpg

Lip before/after:

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

N/S corner:

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

50/50:

DSC_0206.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg
DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

So that was pretty much the best part of the machine polisher work out of the way… Time to rinse, dry, ipa, protect and tick-off the remaining tasks such as engine, glass, wheels, exhaust etc…

DSC_0215.jpg

Whilst out for the final rinse, the engine was dealt with. Megs Super Degreaser and various brushes to agitate stubborn grease and muck. Later dried and dressed leaving this:

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

Paintwork protected with Dodo’s Supernatural wax. Glass with 3M’s glass cleaner. Exhaust with Belgom ALU. Wheels with ChemGuys JetSEAL. Britework with Jeffs Prime. Plastic trim with G-Techniq C4. Tyres with ChemGuys New Look trim and a concluding wipedown with Zaino Z6 the following day before collection.

Photos.

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg
DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg
DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg
DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

Remember this?

DSC_0023.jpg

Bling!

DSC_0273.jpg

And last one…

DSC_0233.jpg

Owner was over the moon!

Thanks for reading.

Jim

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Absolutely spot on. I can't help but think how much fast you could do it if you weren't taking photos. Don't stop though 'cos they're always a good read :approve:

Was it Jeffs Prime you used on the door locks? Just used a little bit on a MF? Mine are in a right state, need to get them done.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Good point, leeds. TBH, the only time consuming side of the photos is this back-end stuff; processing them to get'em online.

Once set up for the day, the camera is just 'there' - literally five seconds to pick it up and snap and photo... End of the day, it's how I sell my work! (plus, Andy insisted I take lots of pics! :D)

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
sorry, yeah, jeffs prime for the locks (after some 'toothpickery' work to remove the crap)

Cheers guuuys.

Z4 Coupe
This little beauty is mine! Over the moon with this! I really can't compliment enough on Jims work. Picked her up yesterday and utterly gobsmacked!

Top man Jim, thankyou again for such an amazing job.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Simply fantastic again, Jim. Feels weird to actually see you posting a Clio on here! :eek:

Any reason for choosing SN?

Again fantastic work, hope the owner was happy as that's a transformation and a half.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Fantastic work Jim, looking forward to sorting my brother in law's RB now! :D

Seat Ibiza
You work is awesome mate!! Really good thread, good reading!!!
Got any time to teach someone? ;)

Bumder With A Buffer
No disrespect to your work here Jim as the detail is top notch as always...but the orange peeling on that RB is terrible..

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

Look at it! My old Monaco was similar...I guess this is a trait with the Renaults??

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Thanks everyone

Andy, cheers for email - will update site when I'm home.

I received a few attempted PM's, at the time my mailbox was full so haven't been able to check them... If it was you, feel free to try again! :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Looks lovely that, really nice to see an unmolested 182. Looks perfect, and RB is sooooo much better with stripes :)

You have just convinced a tight Yorkshireman to spend money, well played.

Car looks epic! I'd love to be able to detail to such a level like yourself.

No disrespect to your work here Jim as the detail is top notch as always...but the orange peeling on that RB is terrible..

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

Look at it! My old Monaco was similar...I guess this is a trait with the Renaults??

Standard Renault paint...??

Glad it was sorted, Andy. Can only think of a handful of detailers I would trust with my car, Jim being very high up the list. Top worth Mr White.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I saw this car in the 'metal' just before it was finished and Jim had made a cracking job of it. :cool:
Andy, you car looks great now!

You'll be pleased to know I also have a Racing Blue 182 too!. :approve:
Washmitt, drying towel required for you now to keep it in THAT condition.

Cool. :cool:

Z4 Coupe
I saw this car in the 'metal' just before it was finished and Jim had made a cracking job of it. :cool:
Andy, you car looks great now!

You'll be pleased to know I also have a Racing Blue 182 too!. :approve:
Washmitt, drying towel required for you now to keep it in THAT condition.

Cool. :cool:

Jim told me about your car JMR! Didn't managed to get a bit of shoot with then both though :( he said the wax was still on mine! Typical!

Also yeah, ordered a new mitt but already have drying towel:)

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Many thanks all.

Gally, RE Supernatural... No, not really!? Andy had mentioned that previously the car had been maintained with SN so I thought I'd continue the trend.

My friend Adam (with the Corrado) hopes to pick up a 182 soon, so, a case of watch this space I guess as I know it'll be coming to me for it's first overhaul/correction.

M135i
Jim, how do you get the door locks tip top? I've tried everything I can think of. Autosol, autosol on a toothpick, Prime, wet+dry and autosol. They're too fiddly for me.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Hi Jimbo,

Sorry for late responce.

Er, usually, I never have to use anything more than Jeffs Prime and a cocktail stick? Seems you nay have an extreme case going on here. Can you photograph it at all for me?

M135i
Hi Jimbo,

Sorry for late responce.

Er, usually, I never have to use anything more than Jeffs Prime and a cocktail stick? Seems you nay have an extreme case going on here. Can you photograph it at all for me?

Hi Jim, yes I'll get a picture sorted and PM you. Cheers.

M135i
Hi Jimbo,

Sorry for late responce.

Hi Jim, yes I'll get a picture sorted and PM you. Cheers.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Sorry Matt, got an email earlier stating you'd tried but failed :dapprove:. Inbox cleared, feel free to try again! (although you may have to bear with me with a responce, going to be getting to bed soon (yes, it's 4:20pm) as I'm off at 11pm on a roadtrip t'Belgium. 52 hours put into two Major Corrections this week, knackered!!)

JMR

RB 182 Cup
You Monaco boys wont regret it.

I had a Monaco 172 for almost 3 years, a couple of years ago now, and I machine polished that and the difference was night and day.
The RB182 has yet to be done, but I'll sort it over the next month when I have a couple of days off.

Give us a head up when you collect and I'll have a pootle over to jims to meet up. :cool: