ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RENAULT UK Response To Clio II Bonnets

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
Mine going to the dealers in a couple of weeks, may as well get it looked at. Kinda covers yourself hopefully!

Maybe they should give you a sticker to put on your car saying "This bonnet is safe" lol

clio 172 cup
hi .. was wondering if anyone can help me? was going to buy a polished manufold from a phase 2 clio 172 and was wondering if it would fit my 172 cup? looks identicle but cant be sure?
cheers nick

Clio Sport 172
Air is forced in through the grille at considerable pressure depending on speed, then through the radiator, and it has to exit somewhere. The only place it can go is down under the car, which is already a high pressure area.

On cars with a front-hinged bonnet if you leave the bonnet unlatched the airflow through the grille and the pressure under the bonnet will open the bonnet at even road speeds.
Thats what I said.

You've got that back to front, air travelling over a curved surface causes low pressure and hence lift, just like an aeroplane wing. So when you are moving the air is actually trying to pull the bonnet open, not force it shut.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
The cat? lol

Yeah got a letter yesterday too.
Although my car went in last week, and I asked them to do it then, and theyu didnt.
They decided to break my headlight when changing the relay box instead! Grrrrr :mad: :mad: :mad:

172 mk2 Iceberg
I have seen people driving around on the second catch.....

Just need a bit of grease in the right places

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
hi .. was wondering if anyone can help me? was going to buy a polished manufold from a phase 2 clio 172 and was wondering if it would fit my 172 cup? looks identicle but cant be sure?
cheers nick

Hi Nick, you have gone off topic here.

Post your question as a new thread in this section, I'm sure someone will help you. ;)

clio 1.2 - 51 plate
considering there is nothing wrong with the bonnet latch (according to renault),i took my cup to them to check it over and they are now changing the bonnet latch, if there was nowt wrong with them WHY are they changing it......

Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
Also got the letter through the door about this, probs take it down to my local arnold clark soon n see how it goes

Vauxhall corsa x2
unlike with other recalls, renault aren't paying the dealers for the time and parts to carry this job out, like a normal warranty claim. Their answer to the dealers for this was something along the lines of 'this is a sales opportunity'. most dealer do a 25 point check when you car enters the workshop and then theres the ppl in the showroom trying to sell you stuff.
Also the recall documentation is worded in a way that puts full responsibility on the mechanic. The words "in your opinion" are used a number of times. Renault have just shifted the blame again for their poor design and shoody materials.

Vauxhall corsa x2
Mine going to the dealers in a couple of weeks, may as well get it looked at. Kinda covers yourself hopefully!

Maybe they should give you a sticker to put on your car saying "This bonnet is safe" lol

when they've done the recall they'll stick an ugly big blue label under your bonnet marked k4.

Black 172 MK2
my local renault dealer was shocking, i asked them to check it out as i had the letter through and they just came out with a can of greese and sprayed it i just looked at him and said well thats a waste of time i could do that and he walked off.

clio 1.2 - 51 plate
got my bonnet done yesterday, took it down at half 12, they phoned me in half hour to tell me it was done, they changed the top mechanism for free so i'm happy now.....:rasp:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
my local renault dealer was shocking, i asked them to check it out as i had the letter through and they just came out with a can of greese and sprayed it i just looked at him and said well thats a waste of time i could do that and he walked off.

But to be fair thats all thats needed.....

Mondeo TDCI 130
People shouldn't have to grease their own bonnet catch though. It's fair enough us doing it as we are enthusiasts and look after our cars, but the majority of people with clios don't. My mum never opens the bonnet of her car, probably wouln't even know how to!

But if you were having your car serviced at a decent garage you shouldnt need to anyway, as it should be lubed at each service! at the minute we are checking every single clio that comes into the workshop! even if the customer doesnt request it, quick look and lube up, tbh you would be suprised at the amount that actually need attention!

just out of interest, who checks there own tyre pressures?! the amount of tyres we get that are sooooo low on pressure its scary!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Sir, the reason you crashed is because the tyre rolled off the rim whilst cornering due to low tyre pressure.........

post on next day on cliosport..... i hate f**king renaults. The tyre on my clio went flat, f**king french s**t!!!!! . Me with common sense reply....... did you check the tyre pressure?....... gimp on cliosport.... owned.

Black Gold Clio 182
I saw a Clio on the M3 at Chandlers Ford yesterday, sat on the hard shoulder with its bonnet flung back, fair bit of damage too.

Stef

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
well mine came unhatched going down the m6 on the way back gtom FCS luckly jon was infront and sighted it before it was too late

clio billabong dci
I took mine in, everything was fine, tho i had some worry before hand due to the watchdog prog, they checked the car over and found i had a broken front spring, I said thank you very much and took it to a garage who did it cheaper than the dosh they wanted ;)

Clio 1.2 16V
Although its quite remote from past experience if you have someone learning to drive in your car and want to take their test in it, or if your a driving instructor its VERY important you get the bonnet checked out as the car won't be allowed out on the driving test without a signed letter from Renault confirming the bonnet's been checked, or a MOT dated after February this year.