ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing front wipers

Ph2 Clio 172
I need to get to my washer bottle as it's either broke or a pipes come off, but I can't get the front wipers off to get access. I've undone the bolt and tugged and twisted and swore but they just won't move. Are they usually a pain to remove, or am I doing something wrong? The windscreen was replaced a couple of years back so its not like they are stuck on with 12 years of rust.

Range Rover Sport
You need to push towards the screen, ideally with the palm of your hand. Failing that a bit of a bang with your palm and penetrating spray should do it.

Mx5
what helped me get mine off was a large ring spanner with abit cut out. Then it could fit underneath them and I could pull them of from underneath

Audi A5
Their is tools specifically designed for removing the wiper arms as without them their a right pain. The tool is basically just a puller that pushes on the bolt and pulls the arm.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
You have to balance pushing and pulling at the same time so that it comes off straight.

You think this is a pain wait till you put then back on and they tap the screen when you turn them on because they haven't seated right lol

Many.
Their is tools specifically designed for removing the wiper arms as without them their a right pain. The tool is basically just a puller that pushes on the bolt and pulls the arm.

Years of doing it without the tool, until recently when I bought the tool, So bloody easy!

Pull on the wiper and tap/smash the s**t out of the threaded bolt at the same time. Wind the nut on a few threads so you don't damage the threads with the tapping stick.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Buy the tool. It's less than a tenner. I've used mine at least a dozen times since buying it a couple of years ago.

when putting the wiper motor back in be careful to locate the rear properly on the bulkhead. Pokey but goes into the mechanism (you'll see what I mean). Takes no more than 15 minutes all in.

Audi A5
Yeah because if you don't locate it right the wiper arm catches on the windscreen making a really annoying screeching noise, lol.

182cup & 172 racecar
By the tool. I almost smashed my windscreen in when getting mine off, such a fkn pain. I used a bearing puller I had at work, but the right tool makes it much easier.

$T2eC16V,!zkFJCr)zz8MBSTqFTcOT!~~60_35.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That's the tool Tony.

Found that the little point on it broke off but it still functions fine. Has to be wound quite fight and then helped a little.

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Or any ball joint puller like that one does it. Time and effort saved through using this is unbelievable!!

Anybody tried bending the wiper away from the screen (like when you do to swap the blades) and then removing it from the spindle? It blew my mind despite being how common sense should have dictated that to be the first step.

Ph2 Clio 172
Yep. Flipped it up, jiggled it, got it off.

Totally failed to find where my washer bottle is leaking from though :(

Audi A5
Can't be that difficult to find the leak surly, remove the bottle completely, check for cracks, fill bottle with the pump in place and see if the seal is ok their, if that's ok, check all the pipes for any splits. Can't be anything much more than that.

TT QS
I got one of the tools suggested and my wipers so seized on its broken the tool. Any one got any bright ideas?