ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refused insurance from Chris Knott :s

330Ci (Fail)Sport
As I was listing my mods for a quote, I was told they wouldn't insure me due to having taken out my rear seats. So I said, fine I can put them back in and was told no, since I've currently have them out, there'd be nothing to stop me doing that again. My reply was that'd void my insurance so I wouldn't but I was told that their underwriters and themselves still wouldn't want to insure me.

Does anyone else find this a bit odd?

Fair enough if they don't cover stripping or seat removal but to say I've done it before and that means I might do it again seems odd to me as why would I risk voiding my insurance when all my other mods are declared.

Couldn't fault the service though. Got through quickly and chap on the other end was polite about it all.

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Sounds a bit random - perhaps they thought you had a cage (thats an instant no from them).

Bit odd though, what happens when you take your rear seats out when moving house for example, are you then uninsured lol :S

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Maybe, he didn't say anything about a cage, and neither did I.

I originally only took them out to pick up my wheel and then left them out because I preferred the loudness of the exhaust and not having to give lifts.

MR2 Mk1.5
I dont want to say too much about a competitor but I can answer from my companies perspective. The only modification my company does not cover is NOS. If someone phones us for a quote on a NOS equipped car, we would say no. If they then said they would take the NOS out, we would still say no. It sounds harsh but it is just the way it is.

My company has no problem with stripped/caged cars so please give us a try if you have not already.

regards

Ollie
Sky Insurance

MR2 Mk1.5
Ps, does anyone remember a famous thread from a few years ago on where a chap was claiming that putting his rear seats down gave his car an extra 10BHP (?).. this thread just made me think or that one!!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Thanks Ollie.

I just don't understand the difference in telling them I'll put the seats back in if I take out the policy or if I had put them back in earlier today and kept them in, I wouldn't have had to declare it and they wouldn't have known.

Sky was the first one I called, was cheaper than my renewal but not by as much as everyone else was claiming. However, after considering my NCB will be protected and I have a lower excess, it's a very good price and cheapest so far. I just hope the insurance side of Sky isn't like the TV and broadband side as they've not been the best lol

LOL!

And his car was always clean, thus reducing drag.

Corsa, IIRC.

Clean cars also weigh less, better bhp/ton.

MR2 Mk1.5
Thanks Ollie.

I just don't understand the difference in telling them I'll put the seats back in if I take out the policy or if I had put them back in earlier today and kept them in, I wouldn't have had to declare it and they wouldn't have known.

Might be worth asking again..

Sky was the first one I called, was cheaper than my renewal but not by as much as everyone else was claiming. However, after considering my NCB will be protected and I have a lower excess, it's a very good price and cheapest so far.

Thats good to know. The price of pretty much everyone's insurance has risen since this time alst year so that might be why it isn't going down as low as you would have hoped.

I just hope the insurance side of Sky isn't like the TV and broadband side as they've not been the best lol

You know we are completely seperate companies right? If we were under the same banner I would have had my ruddy Sky dish fixed by now!!

Regards
Ollie
Sky Insurance

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I think I may have just been expecting too much based on previous years differences. Still a good price for a better policy.

LOL major fail by me, didn't even clock when I visited your website the other day, I just assumed from the name that Sky had bought an insurance company lol must have just mashed the names and the fact Sky already offer insurance on their products into one big pot :S