ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refurbishing 'Dare' BBS RS Replica Wheels

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Hey guys!

I'm looking into refurbishing my Dare BBS RS replica wheels over the winter, does anyone know whether it is possible to change the gold bolts for new ones?

Cheers,

Gavin.

K4M ph2
They are plastic and glued in place with a plastic pin that pushes into a drilled hole underneath, i tried to take one of mine off to do the same thing and it just snapped off, luckily glued in to place again fine. if you could source new plastic 'screws, rivets, bolts, whatever you want to call them then i guess you could drill the plastic out of the hole and then glue new ones in.

Mine have suffered quite bad laquer peel on the surface of the dish on a couple. cant see an easy way of refurbing them. :(

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
No, get some airfix paints out!

If in theory I were to try this, what type of paint would be best? Enamel or acrylic based?

Here's a link to gold enamel paint I may consider! http://www.airfix.com/shop/humbrol/paints/enamel-paints/aq0188-16-gold-metallic-50ml-enamel-paint/

They are plastic and glued in place with a plastic pin that pushes into a drilled hole underneath, i tried to take one of mine off to do the same thing and it just snapped off, luckily glued in to place again fine. if you could source new plastic 'screws, rivets, bolts, whatever you want to call them then i guess you could drill the plastic out of the hole and then glue new ones in.

Mine have suffered quite bad laquer peel on the surface of the dish on a couple. cant see an easy way of refurbing them. :(

The gold bolts have only deteriorated on my wheels, the lips are completely fine! I'll look into sourcing plastic replacements also and post back here :)

172 Cup
Just got to halfords and get a pot made up for the colour gold your car is. Then paint them with that!?

It's probably poor information but why not eh!

These are your wheels, the only thing in contact with the road, and you want to drill them and start adding bolts? I wouldn't even entertain the thought but up to you, they're your wheels.

And no, we're not messing.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
These are your wheels, the only thing in contact with the road, and you want to drill them and start adding bolts? I wouldn't even entertain the thought but up to you, they're your wheels.

And no, we're not messing.

It are deadly SRS!!! Think you're confusing wheels with tyres here btw.

:lolup:

Let me elaborate. Drill out the plastic bolt to remove any plastic swarf & expose the 'existing' hole. Tap. Done.

Even adding a couple of mil depth to an 'existing' hole isn't going to make the wheel implode.

Jesus f**k, how do you people cope day to day?

Last edited:
I know the difference between a tyre and wheel and I know you're on about drilling the wheel not the tyre.

Like I said I personally wouldn't even entertain the thought.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Here's a crazy thought - couldn't you just drill out the holes, tap them & fit bolts of your choice?

You guys were all just messing saying no right?

:)

Thing is, there's probably not a hole there at all, it's probably a glued cap.

The wheel will be one piece, made as so, with the small of indents to allow location of the bolts. These will then be fitted on after.

I'd not bother personally, too much effort for too little gain, and the chance he has access to a pillar drill to do it properly is minimal.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Thing is, there's probably not a hole there at all, it's probably a glued cap.

Hadn't we already established there was a 'drilled hole'?
They are plastic and glued in place with a plastic pin that pushes into a drilled hole underneath

I'd not bother personally, too much effort for too little gain, and the chance he has access to a pillar drill to do it properly is minimal.

Less effort than say painting each one individually with airfix paint? Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one Rob.

Unless he has Parkinson's disease, why would he necessarily have to do this with a pillar drill?

All he potentially needs to do is clear out the plastic swarf. After all when he taps it, he'd do that by hand.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Replacing the bolts seems like it would be too much of a hassle! I would certainly have a go at painting and lacquering them though!

Could anyone recommend a good paint? I posted a link to some above I am considering!