ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refurbing carbon fibre simple?

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Im collecting this bonnet friday it looks like it needs a full laquer is it just the case of flat back and laquer or is there anything i should be aware of before attempting it.

aa86c3c11fb010a2b711f5650e228005.jpg

Be careful not to sand/abraid too much as you'll start to break the fibres below. Normally composites have a layer of prepreg glass on them so when it's cured you get the gloss finish. If it's a Matt finish it usually means there's no glass layer. It could be they've just lacquered the carbon if so it should be easy enough to prep but still be careful not to sand into the fibres.
I would start on an 800 grit wet and dry to be on the safe side. If you feel it's not taking much off then go a bit coarser, don't go any more coarse than 320/340. I work in composites and have had to prep cured carbon before before. It's time consuming so be patient.
Hope this helps.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Be careful not to sand/abraid too much as you'll start to break the fibres below. Normally composites have a layer of prepreg glass on them so when it's cured you get the gloss finish. If it's a Matt finish it usually means there's no glass layer. It could be they've just lacquered the carbon if so it should be easy enough to prep but still be careful not to sand into the fibres.
I would start on an 800 grit wet and dry to be on the safe side. If you feel it's not taking much off then go a bit coarser, don't go any more coarse than 320/340. I work in composites and have had to prep cured carbon before before. It's time consuming so be patient.
Hope this helps.
Thanks mate just what im after

TT QS
there was a guy on one of the facebook pages who bought a bonnet in similar condition and refurbed it and did an incredible job. from memory it was alot of very fine wet and dry & lacquer. so what jamesycc said really. ive been toying with having mine painted but i read somewhere it can be a pain

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
there was a guy on one of the facebook pages who bought a bonnet in similar condition and refurbed it and did an incredible job. from memory it was alot of very fine wet and dry & lacquer. so what jamesycc said really. ive been toying with having mine painted but i read somewhere it can be a pain
Yeh im picking mine up tomorrow 230 mile round trip for a bonnet lol

clio trophy
Mine was exactly the same as yours blow the worst off with an airline da it all down with 320 dry dont use any water until youve got the first lot of lacquer on once the lacquer is dry flat it all off again 500 dry/800 wet and repeat until your happy with the finish mine needed about 9 coats in all
If the bonnet has got wet make sure it is 100 % dry before you start hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_4070.JPG
    IMG_4070.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 84

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
No where near the same scale but I did my tegiwa bonnet scoop for my Ep3. Even I managed it. Just sanding is a ballache.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine was exactly the same as yours blow the worst off with an airline da it all down with 320 dry dont use any water until youve got the first lot of lacquer on once the lacquer is dry flat it all off again 500 dry/800 wet and repeat until your happy with the finish mine needed about 9 coats in all
If the bonnet has got wet make sure it is 100 % dry before you start hope this helps
Stunning mate thanks