ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refurbing 172 Alloys - Possible paint code?

Clio 172 Phase 2
Hey everyone.

Looking to refurb my alloys at the weekend, but want to try and get the stuff to do it today. Im pretty much there with sanding pads and that, but im not 100% sure on the paint type/colour match.

I went to have a look in halfords and the closest match we could find was general wheel silver, but im not sure if its spot on or not, and as im only refurbing the lip around the alloys, I would ideally want it as close as possible.

They are the standard 16" 172 alloys, with the original silver (Y)

Does anyone know of any paint codes or numbers that either halfords/motorworld/euro etc do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gaz

Problem is Anthracite is a general term for basically a metalic silver, 100's of shades. Im sure there is a renault paint code for the silver somewhere but as i normally do whole wheel refurbs i dont normally have to blend and match exactly so i dont know it.

However i can help you with the primer and paint type (1k solvent based), i assume your taking out kerbing so there will be bare metal, thus you will need a "metal etch primer " especially for alloys, a thin coat to make sure you get good adhesion to the metal (it eats in) then you can use your standard grey primers over the top without worry. The halfords paints will be ok in general you'll just have to find a close match or get them to mix you up something close and put it in a can.

However in my opinion your best bet is to go to a proper paint shop as they will have far greater expertise in paint mixing than your average halfords, and most likely will already know the paint code.

Failing that refurb the whole wheel and choose your colour :)

Cheers,
Si

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I found that the halfords silver was ok against a standard silver, I managed to fix some kerbing a friend caused on a set of alloys I had on my non sport with it.

It was almost invisible.

Simonez do a sivler, available in most motor factors, seemed too be a bit better.

Clio 172 Phase 2
Thanks for all the replies, quick too (Y)

You know its right Rich :p

I think ill go get the standard silver and match it up as best as I can, and ill get the correct primer now I know what im looking for.

Hopefully post up some pic's when its done ;)

Thanks again

Gaz