ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refitting driveshaft advice please

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Could I ask a couple of questions before refitting my o/s J&R driveshaft?

Firstly, do they look similar enough :grimacing:?

A48AC553-425F-4F4E-9D99-27E8E65C1677.jpeg

It comes with 2 ABS rings, but they seem to have the same number of teeth, does it matter which I use? The wider one in the picture seems to have smaller gaps between the teeth and looks similar to the original, but I fear the extra width might be a problem with fouling when refitted. Any ideas?

4B5200EC-5782-4B29-98A1-F68F4896A53D.jpeg

And should I use the old or new hubnut. It’s just the original has a nice collar/washer which the nut spins around, and it’s seems more substantial than the new one? Again, any advice will be greatly appreciated :up:.

9B7C9342-C5E3-462B-BB63-3DD3D22C76A4.jpeg

Oh, and the rubber ‘o’ ring just pops in the end near the gearbox?

Arctic Blue 182
They look/are the same. I would use the smaller one as it is the same as the original. I would probably use the old nut if I were doing it, although shiny is shiny so no harm using the new. Have no idea about the o-ring but if it fits then why not :up:

As you may be able to tell, i`m no expert, but have done this job in the past and found it to be piss easy.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
O-ring on and pop the shaft in yeah.

The wider abs ring is for cup and 182 cup pack.

New nut should be fine, but you could use the old one if not too battered.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Tidy, thanks for the prompt responses!

It’s not been difficult so far, but I do tend to fuss and take things easy.

Cleaning up the old grease that’s been sh@t everywhere from the old leaky boot is a bit of a palaver, and it’s started raining now too 😢😂.

PH2 172
Tidy, thanks for the prompt responses!

It’s not been difficult so far, but I do tend to fuss and take things easy.

Cleaning up the old grease that’s been sh@t everywhere from the old leaky boot is a bit of a palaver, and it’s started raining now too 😢😂.

Modifying the back of the engine block to stop the inner boot fouling is a good idea with J&R rh shaft.
Clio 182 cv boot, engine block mod..jpg

PH2 172
Yup, just trial fitted the shaft and it does foul.
Will a reciprocating saw do the job or will I need an angle grinder do you think?

Not having a saw to hand, I`d use the angle grinder that I have, but it`s up to you.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I figured the saw would give me better access. And I scare myself using an angle grinder :grinning:.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, much appreciated :up:.