ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

recon/rebuild engine does it loose value to a clio

clio rs
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=451625

As you may know my clio is in need of a new engine or a recon / rebuild. As the bottom ends are gone, due to it been driving without oil, my fault for not checking.

Iv had good offers on the car but still in 2 minds what i wanna do. Part of me says keep the car.

the car has 92k last serviced just under 2 years ago.

Just wanted to ask, will a recon rebuild engine loose value to the car few years down the line? when it comes to sell?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
you don't have to tell the new buyer the engine has changed !! and you might as well get it rebored to larger cylinders and valves if you have that engine recon'd or jsut get a second hand one from the scrappers, and while its out, get a new cambelt fitted and clutch and water pump and it should be good for another 50-60k

Black 197
My 04 182 had its cambelt go at 23k, Renault put a new engine in under warranty.. I didnt loose any value.. I cant see you loosing any value either, Get the new lump dropped in, Change the engine number on the V5 and the jobs a good'un

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
when i sold my clio cup the guy never cheked the engine number :rasp: not that it was ever changed :star: , but most people don't care to ask or check about the engine number, as long as the engine works and the mileage is ok, people will buy the car, if they ask about the engine then you can say you fitted a replacement. but if your keeping it, then just go for the cheap option, buy a second hand engine £500 and swap the engines. try and do it yourself, else a garage would charge a few hundred i think

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As above, i don't even know where the engine number is on my clio

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
il go and check, gimme a sec

Edit: yes its right to the oil filter, starts with a Letter then 8 numbers from what i can see

clio rs
how much to buy the cambelt, they shudnt charge to fitting it shud they as its all cuming out anyway. Wat about the another to belts?

Black 197
K-TEC sell the kit i believe..

If your taking it to a garage then they will charge you for fitting the belt as its labour isnt it.....Using their time to fit a part.. At the end of the dasy a garage will take all that they can

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
you should phone around and find a small independent man with time on his hands and negotiate a price to do the engine swap, not a main dealer. where i live there are a bunch of small car places in a field that do body repairs and stuff, and they could swap the engine. alternatively some of the breakers maybe able to do the engine swap and leave them your old engine in exchange. just phone around many places, look in the local newspaper for the small mechanics ads or the yellow pages, phone the small numbers

Tav

Clio 197
If you hadn't posted on a national forum you could have rebuilt the bottom end and no one would have known or cared.

clio rs
but isnt it a good thing to recon an engine at 92k, i.e. if a clio williams have a recon engine its more likely to be problem free or brand new?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
I'm pretty sure you do. As it will have different miles compared to the bodywork/interior etc. of the car?

I remember this happening to someone locally when he a bought a car from teh stealers and he got a full refund.

whats the phrase ? Caveat emptor

its a 8 yr old car.