ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me gearbox oil..

BMW M135i
You want 4x to do a proper job, the Fuchs titan stuff isn't bad either i've used both much of a muchness.

Ph1
Buy 3 mate, save on the postage (maybe) and if you need a fourth bob down to Halfords for the rest, its roughly the same price from memory?

BMW M135i
You will need 4 bottles, you can generally get a little more than 3.1l in it if doing it on axle stands as the fill plug is on the front of the box it won't be level with the front picked up.

Postage doesn't cost anymore for 4 bottles rather than 3 I don't think? And halfrauds want far more for the oil than opie do.

BMW M135i
Oh and if you haven't done it before smallish flexible hose and funnel required as the fill plug is in a great spot. I've got a pump to do it with which is far more easy/lazy if you can get anything like that.

You will need 4 bottles, you can generally get a little more than 3.1l in it if doing it on axle stands as the fill plug is on the front of the box it won't be level with the front picked up.

Postage doesn't cost anymore for 4 bottles rather than 3 I don't think? And halfrauds want far more for the oil than opie do.

You'll get away with three 1 litre bottles mate :)

I also managed to top mine with a flexible hose and an funnel with the car back on level ground after draining the old stuff and replacing the gearbox plug washer.
This was to get an accurate level, all i needed to do is remove the airbox to gain access.

You can also remove airbox form time to time and remove the fill plug and stick a finger in to see it the gearbox oil is still at the maximum (inline with bottom of fill plug hole), just put your finger in the hole straight and bend it down slightly if it comes out with oil on it your still up to level :)

I used the Castrol EPX75w-80 stuff from Opie Oil about 5 months ago and all has been fine so far.

For my next Gearbox oil change i will probably use Castrol again, i would used the Fuchs as mentioned above but i know how temperemental the 172 gearboxes are :(

BMW M135i
You'll get away with three 1 litre bottles mate :)
Personally I don't think you can unless your too tight to buy the 4th :rasp:. Every one i've done i've always got 3l in it easily and a good 200-300ml out of the 4th bottle in before it starts coming back out. Seeing as I really wouldn't want to underfill one in my eyes you need 4l to do it properly.

RS RIP
never use 75-90 it makes the car feel like its got no syncros

^^ you said it ! I dug up this old thread because i noticed a prob after changing to 75w90 ;
Last week I changed to a more expensive Motul Gear 300 75w90 (thinking hey this must be better!) , and just now after a proper thrashing with a lot of high revs the gear changing has suddenly become more heavy. I can't even get it into reverse . Like you said , as if there there are no synchs ! As if the oil has become really thick or something when becoming very hot?? Bummer!! Another oilchange coming up:-(