ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rebuilding 172 cup engine.

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Hi all, just been doing a bit of resurce as im in the process of rebuilding the cup engine and have come across a renault technical data PDF and now getting a bit confussed lol.
I know they are all F4R engines but don't understand the (F4R 730 or F4R 700 - 780) as they have different compression ratios and pretty much completely different heads.
The bottom ends seem to be the same.

Any ideas???

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Yer thats kinda seems right as the F4R 730 is 11. 1 comp ratio and the other one is 9.8 .1.

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Hmm all the say is F4R 730 or F4R 740, 741, 780, 700, 701.
Is there a engine no. on the block that will have one of these no. stamped on it?

Hi all, just been doing a bit of resurce as im in the process of rebuilding the cup engine and have come across a renault technical data PDF and now getting a bit confussed lol.
I know they are all F4R engines but don't understand the (F4R 730 or F4R 700 - 780) as they have different compression ratios and pretty much completely different heads.
The bottom ends seem to be the same.

Any ideas???

Any chance you could Pm me the PDF?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If your engine needs a rebuild, it might be worth buying one that doesnt, and rebuilding that instead, seeing as they are so cheap.

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
If your engine needs a rebuild, it might be worth buying one that doesnt, and rebuilding that instead, seeing as they are so cheap.

Its a second engine away. Bought it to rebuild it as mine is on 120,000 miles now and it's a year project lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its a second engine away. Bought it to rebuild it as mine is on 120,000 miles now and it's a year project lol!

Cool. Always buy the best engine you can as a starting point, as things like ovality/clearance of the crank bearing tunnel and the cam cover journals etc wont be something most people address on a rebuild, so better to start with as good an example as possible for the sake of only a few hundred quid for a decent low miles engine.

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Cool. Always buy the best engine you can as a starting point, as things like ovality/clearance of the crank bearing tunnel and the cam cover journals etc wont be something most people address on a rebuild, so better to start with as good an example as possible for the sake of only a few hundred quid for a decent low miles engine.

Yep thats exactly right. Bought a engine a while back and was scored to f**k and rust build up in the bores so pretty much a scrap engine but would have maybe been alright with a rebore and a new head lol. This engine looks sweet, running engine and once stripped everything looks good, cam journals look fresh so does crank and honing marks still down the bores :).

Does anyone know of any decent sites to get main shells (ACL), con rod shells (ACL), piston rings, gaskets (full engine), water pump and oil pump at reasonable prices?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Careful on the ACL stuff, the race series bearings run around a 3 thou clearance where as normal ones are under 2, so its a big difference in the amount of oil that they hemorrhage when in use!

I can PM you the number for a guy I use for all my bearings, he can also do machining work like tagging the block if you want to use williams spec bearings instead which is what I now do with F4R builds.

For the standard renault bits like pumps, adam@woverhampton renault on here is your best bet.

Richard102

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Careful on the ACL stuff, the race series bearings run around a 3 thou clearance where as normal ones are under 2, so its a big difference in the amount of oil that they hemorrhage when in use!

I can PM you the number for a guy I use for all my bearings, he can also do machining work like tagging the block if you want to use williams spec bearings instead which is what I now do with F4R builds.

For the standard renault bits like pumps, adam@woverhampton renault on here is your best bet.

Oh okay, im building it for track use only really so thought the ACL bearings would be good. What bearings you recommed then for track use? Iv already got a guy sorted out that will be doing all my machining thanks anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Even for track use unless its dry sumped I would avoid increased clearance bearings.

If its a fairly standard spec engine, then just use all standard parts.