ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rearwheel rubbing on arch liner

Ph 1 172
So my passanger rear wheel has started rubbing on the arch liner for some reason, I've jacked the car up and checked for wheel wobble to test for a damaged bearing and there is no play.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to rectify it?? Or what could cause it to suddernly happen.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you jack the car up then you will hide the problem.
You need to get in and have a poke around whilst it's on the floor.

172 Phase 1
There is an flimsy shield (exhaust shield i think) that bolts to the n/s/r with the exhaust mounting bracket. I have had issues with this rubbing on mine.

I also have the same issue on a trackday and turned out the tyre had delaminated causing the tyre to be out of shape, unlikely but worth checking tyre

You could also have a broken suspension spring ? Is the car lowered ?

Ph 1 172
Nope no broken spring no sign of leaking from shock either....

Is there supposed to be a spacer on the rear wheels?

Ph 1 172
I'm not asking if a spacer fell off whilst driving...it's just the rear wheels were taken off a around the time the rubbing started and I'm wondering if there was supposed to be a spacer fitted and itv hasn't been

172 Phase 1
Is there a spacer on the other side ? Is the arch liner fitted correctly ? Have you had new wheels or tyres fitted ? Can you see where the wheel has been touching, this will give an indication as to whether it is a ride height problem or something to do with the spacers.

Ph 1 172
Ok si I have checked the following.

Arch liner is in place correctly
No spacer on the other side
No new tyres for about 7k miles (2 years for me)

If you look at the wheel like a clock it's rubbing from 1 o'clock through too 3 o'clock. There is bit of oil on the shock on the opposite side of where it's rubbing do you think maybe a dinar'd shock indie otherside could be causing the wheel to rub?

Also I'm on standaed shocks and springs. Recently changed back from coilovers. Suspension has only done about 60k miles

Clio 2.0 16v 182
What size wheels are you on? And what size tire are you running. My 182 alloys had an argument with my camber choices and they were only 16"

Clio 2.0 16v 182
All I can think of, other than a leaking shock or damaged spring, is top mount damage. Check to see if the rear beam isn't bent out of shape

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've only noticed the arch liner having an issue where it contacts the inner lip at the bottom of the bumper. Mine is very close to the rear tyre - though the drivers side is fine.
It has caught it in the past - there are a couple of scuffs - but nothing major.

172 Phase 1
All i can think of is,

Badly worn bushes on rear axle
A coil of the spring broken off lowering the ride height on one side
Buckled wheel, have you hit any kerbs as the OZ wheels are prone to buckle

I would take the car to a workshop with a pit (so you can get under the car with wheels on the floor) and roll the car backwards and forwards.

Can you upload any pictures

Ph 1 172
So rear shocks have been changed due to one side being in poor shape.
had the rest of the suspension components checked over and the garage can't see anything wrong with any of the parts.

Got the rear wheels checked and they were badly buckled so replaced them...Was a lame excuse to get some 2118's

But it's still rubbing, the passenger side wheel is much closer to the inner arch liner than the drivers wheel. Wondering what anyone else would check??

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Like said its probably the rear beam that has been bent from hitting a curb or something. if you are at CSS I have a 182 rear beam you can have really cheaply.
edit - not the beam itself but where the stub axle is. check your stub axle bolts arent loose or anything.