ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wheel seized up

M135i
Tried setting off from work about half an hour ago and wasnt go very far when my mate shouted try takin you handbrake off to which i looked down and back up again with a puzzled face. Found out just the driver side rear wheel is locked up. Ive read it could be the shoes, and that driving forwards and backwards might free it up, but is it possible it cud suddenly just got again whilst driving down the road ? and whats the best way to fix it ?

Megane dci 130
Hit the drum with a hammer and away you go. Its the moisture from the ice/snow getting in the drum.

It wont just come on wilst driving.

M135i
and youve not had the problem since ? If i do 'wack it' and it becomes free, is it worth gettin new 1s anyway or will they just go back to being like be4 ?

172 Race Car
As said either hit the drum or back plate with a hammer (with the handbrake off) its either the shoe lining stuck to the drum (and the hammer will fix it) or the shoe lining has come off (and the hammer wont fix it)

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
French cars rar brake drums do loose the shoe liners, they get trapped between the other shoe and the drum and lock the wheel - needed an AA tow home in a 1.2 Clio a while back - easy to fix, but a bit of a game removing the drum.

Evo 8 MR
I had this on my other clio, it will have stuck on, a good wack might sort it but I wouldn't leave it. A friend of mine who had a clio this happened to him whilst doing about 60 down the motorway, I was lucky myself as it happened as I was about to reverse onto my driveway.

Your looking at new brake shoes if you want to fix it properly, not an expensive job.

M135i
went out eariler with my hammer n didnt get know where :dapprove: dont have a clue how to get it home, might have to get a garage to come pick get me.

clio 1.4RT
did you hit it all the way round the drum, as there are 2 shoes in there????
if that doesnt work then you may have to try take drum off and see what the problem is?

M135i
did you hit it all the way round the drum, as there are 2 shoes in there????
if that doesnt work then you may have to try take drum off and see what the problem is?

Just tried digging a clear path for the back wheel so i could give the wheel abit of grip rather than rock it backwards and forwards on snow but that hasnt worked either :dapprove:

Yeh hit all way round but only on the side faceing out, and i heard today i should of hit it round the edge side. so might go back down later, take the wheel off and have a proper look.

Also a guy was saying today at work that it could be the handbrake cable seizing up and that it might need abit of a tug ? Anyone know anything about that ?

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++

when I was caught out in the 1.2 Clio the AA guy who towed me home said he thought the fault was a dislodged brake shoe and that he had towed a Peugeot with a similar problem. He indicated the small drum used on the French cars sufferred more than other makes.

M135i
Went down again tonight and had a mess with the handbrake cable, it was tightenin up when the handbrake was pulled up and slacking when pull down but i pulled the wire slighty towards the drum and then set off again and for a couple of metres the wheel spun but then jammed back up again.

This is making me think its somthing to do with the cable rather than somthing in the drum ?

Static Low
handbrake cable ! get yourself towed and it will break free buddy. Happened to me ! I just leave the car in gear overnight now & keep the handbrake off