ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Towing Eye

Renault Clio 172
For the last couple of years I've been sprinting a 172 in the standard car class and until now a front towing point is all the regs have stated that I need. The regs have changed for next year and I need a rear towing point too. It is my understanding that the 172 doesn't have one. If that is the case does anyone have any examples of what they have done?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Drill holes in the rear chassis directly behind the black plastic trim in the bumper.

Bolt tow eyes with spreader plates.

Cut a slot in the bumper for tow eye to pass through.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Will have a standard tow eye. Picture below of mine 172. I’ve painted mine red to be visible

B6994338-20A7-42A8-8EDA-7DF83B150F26.jpeg
44E32B88-F23F-456D-848D-548079ED3BCE.jpeg

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I have seen many run the strap through the bumper for that "race car" look and it does look good IMO but as stated there is a loop on the underside.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I think im going to paint my rear tow hook red after seeing this. Would you also mind sharing your wheel/tyre/spacer specs? Fitment on the rear looks spot on.

Thanks mate.
Running Puremotorsport billet stub axle kit/twingo disc setup with puremotorsport 10mm stub axle spacer and 7x15 et35 wheels with 205 595RSR tyres

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Don’t know if this is an option. I only had to cut a couple of mm off of the black trim. Can always get a second piece of trim and push the tow loop through it if you don’t want to see it when it’s not in use?

Attachments

• 03C6E6E5-D032-4312-BF96-36E88DFF75C2.jpeg
    03C6E6E5-D032-4312-BF96-36E88DFF75C2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 129
  • ECC61DDD-952C-4DA9-A198-88A2DA4B29C6.jpeg
    ECC61DDD-952C-4DA9-A198-88A2DA4B29C6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 154

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Don’t know if this is an option. I only had to cut a couple of mm off of the black trim. Can always get a second piece of trim and push the tow loop through it if you don’t want to see it when it’s not in use?

Smart solution that for race series that require them.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2

The cup racers were like this but with a solid tow eye, the wire rope towing eyes are a neat solution also but they wreck the bumper unless you are pulling the car directly from behind when recovering.

The cup racers were like this but with a solid tow eye, the wire rope towing eyes are a neat solution also but they wreck the bumper unless you are pulling the car directly from behind when recovering.

Aren't the wire rope ones mandatory now though (for racing)?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Aren't the wire rope ones mandatory now though (for racing)?
Yes they are for circuit racing, two front two rear as far as I know. The organisers don't care about damaging your car if you go off though, in rally I have seen cars which could have been repaired, then recovered by putting straps through the roof which totaled the shell. Good reason not to go off the track/road.