ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Spring protecters/covers

I've been told the knocking I get at the back could be from my springs touching as they compress, I have FK Highsport coilovers at the moment and have been looking for a type of spring cover to go around the coil at the back so hopefully stop the knocking.

Anyone know where I could get one from or what they are actually called?

BMW M135i
Can't see what difference they'd make? Haven't seen anything anyway, exhaust mounts not change anything no?

nah... changed backbox and 2 centre section mounts, dogbone mount and gearbox mount last week, hasn't changed a thing.

The spring covers i've been told about I would presume would be rubber and would sit on each coil so that when they knock together they don't make a metalic noise i'm getting... This is how desperate im getting now to find out what it is!

I highered the back up about 10mm and it didn't do anything :(

You have to hear it in person to understand how irritating it gets! Especially with no rear seats/carpet etc

I think a journey to Bens house is in the pipeline....

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Mine was to the floor when i had mien and it never suffered from any noises.

Have u got under to look as someone sits/pushes down the back end to see whats making the noise?

The springs are coated already?

They're dirt covers really mate, they'll do very little to dampen/lessen the noise

If the ones your thinking of are the ones that go around the coils (like on the front) I mean a different sort where they go ontop of the all the coils on the back (as it's just a spring) It's abit like a rubber tube cut in half and then put over the entire coil from top to bottom.

Oh dear lol! Will take a look if you want, can change that bloody rancid oil while your here!

Yeah, sounds like a plan lol The more people that hear the noise the better!

Mine was to the floor when i had mien and it never suffered from any noises.

Have u got under to look as someone sits/pushes down the back end to see whats making the noise?

The springs are coated already?

when someone pushes down on it it doesn't seem to make any noise at all.... this is whats bothering me. You can't really get it to do it stationary...

Can be a nice little project for me though lol TO FIND WHATS CAUSING THIS NOISE!

Renaultsport 220T
Is it your bump stops?

The springs would be very soft it they are compressing that much, esp when you have less weight over rear. What lb are they?

I'm not entirely sure mate, they are the FK highsport ones (blue coated)

Image056.jpg

Not sure about my bump stops...

M

mini-valver

No, it's a metallic rattle. Asif th seat belt bolts are loose, but when you sit in the back and hold the tops of the damper, you can feel it.

I've taken the dampers off, swapped them back to standards and it still does it. Highered it, took the drums off (when you apply the handbrake, it goes away) and nothing is out of place. Stumped.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
No, it's a metallic rattle. Asif th seat belt bolts are loose, but when you sit in the back and hold the tops of the damper, you can feel it.

I've taken the dampers off, swapped them back to standards and it still does it. Highered it, took the drums off (when you apply the handbrake, it goes away) and nothing is out of place. Stumped.

It must be the handbrake cable then?

If its loose it will rattle around the heatshield area.

When the handbrake is off, obviously they slacken up.If too slack it can cause a mettalic rattle. (dont overtighten them tho)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
It didn't stop completly when I pulled the handbrake up, but it made it alot better.

Id suggest looking at the following in that case:

Rear Braking System (cable)
Rear Wheels
Drums

If the raising the handbrake makes it go away or even make it "better" it must be related.

I used to get a mettalic rattle when mine was stripped out, was something inside the car tho. Never traced it...

so far we have looked at:

Drums
Swapped dampers for standards
changed exhuast mounts (Backbox and 2 Centre Section)
Handbrake cable
we highered springs at the back by 10/15mm
Had the boot open

Nothing seemed to stop it apart from having the handbrake up abit, but I said to Dave after we tried it, maybe it's stopping it because the rear of the car wasn't moving as fast down to the floor when we went over the speedbumps as the handbrake was slowing down the back wheels.