ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear right caliper problems

RS172
Morning guys,

working on the project 172 yesterday, replaced the rear discs and pads but on the handbrake it doesn't appear to be holding the wheel very tight - I haven't checked if it's actually working fully on braking yet or even bled them.
Could this be a need to tighten the handbrake or shall I check the piston is working first?
I can pull the handbrake up a fair wack before it tightens... Any ideas?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd check both brakes are both working ok with the pedal first, bleed them too if they need it. If they're fine though then it's probably just a case of the handbrake cable for that side needing tightening. Pretty sure they can both be adjusted individually, there's a guide on here for it somewhere!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
get the caliper off and check the slide pins are sliding and you can wind the piston back in easily. rule that out first as knackered caliper tends to be the issue 90% of the time

mk1 Octavia VRS
Bleed the brakes before you use the handbrake. You might have wind the piston back in to reset the handbrake mechanism as you have put the handbrake on before bleeding.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Easiest way imo to check if they both working together is take the car for a quick spin do a few harsh stops then put your hand flat on both the rear wheels to see if they are similar temps or if 1 Is alot warmer. Obviously do NOT touch discs themselfs lol.

koi

Audi S1
Got a similar issue, the rear passenger side caliper on mine doesn't hold when the handbrake is on but appears to work otherwise. Cable is fine so it's the mechanism in the caliper at fault, is this a new caliper job or can they be repaired?

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Got a similar issue, the rear passenger side caliper on mine doesn't hold when the handbrake is on but appears to work otherwise. Cable is fine so it's the mechanism in the caliper at fault, is this a new caliper job or can they be repaired?

I had both caliper's replaced last year, then last weeks MOT was same as you described on passenger side, so caliper replaced again, had only done 1000miles

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Could just be something as simple as the old handbrake cable for the right rear caliper has stretched .
How was the handbrake " before " you replaced the discs ? Was it holding on the right rear before or maybe you never really checked so you don't know now ?