ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear light problem

Clio 172 cup
Hi all clios just gone through its mot today with no faults but as the mot tester finished the test the right hand rear light started playing havoc,when you put it into reverse and press the brake pedal the fog light and indicator come on and when I press the brake pedal and indicate right the brake light flashes?any ideas guys as I'm not very good with electrics

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Check condition of the connection for the rear light, possibly corrosion to the connector, could be bad earth point, this is under the rear plastic panel where the boot locks into place

Clio 172 cup
Check condition of the connection for the rear light, possibly corrosion to the connector, could be bad earth point, this is under the rear plastic panel where the boot locks into place
What sort of job is it to change that plug

Clio 172 Merc ML55
It'll probably clean up ok to be honest, otherwise it's a case of cutting it off a few inches back (so that you have some wiring to use) and connecting a new one on, personally I solder everything but you could use crimp on connectors I'd need be

Clio 182
100% it will be the terminals in the connection. If you get a little screwdriver or a bit of sanding cloth and clean the terminals inside the plug and plug housing it will work properly, also it helps to use maintenance spray on them to.

Clio 182 sport
had a similar problem when i installed new tail lights just for me every time i put my foot on the brakes my dash and parking lights came on and the brakes did fook all..that was down to a dodgy bulb believe it or not

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
I had this problem also but i just took mine to a car auto spark. I watched what he done and he done the same thing what i did but he got it working took him approx 10 mins lol .. cost me £35

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Exact same problem as me. The connectors were not at fault, problem still happens. Ive been told i need to sand the earths in the boot.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Those black boot stops on the outside near the rear lights leak and the water runs down to where the earths are. Just need disconnecting and wire brushing, with a bit of wd40 for good measure.