ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mot failure help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
182 just failed it's mot

DSC_0804_zpswomffc0j.jpg

The one thats going to cause me issues is number 2.
Does anyone know the actual wire route from the engine bay to the rear cluster? I've dicking around with the rear cluster a number of times and ive never manged to fix the problem

172 Ph1
The earth for these lamps comes up from front of vehicle to the lamp cluster and back off again to the front .

I'd be giving the cluster plugs new earths and it should sort it .
Run new wire to body inside boot car near to lamp .

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've done loads of them.

If you turn the ignition on and put all your lights on (so you can see the issue) and then grab the plug on the back of the light and half pull it off. It goes really tight just before it comes off completely. Leave it at the tight point.

If this cures the fault then your connections need 'adjusting' with a very small pick. You need to make the connection tighter.

Make sure you do this with the ignition off or you'll blow bulbs/fuses.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I've done loads of them.

If you turn the ignition on and put all your lights on (so you can see the issue) and then grab the plug on the back of the light and half pull it off. It goes really tight just before it comes off completely. Leave it at the tight point.

If this cures the fault then your connections need 'adjusting' with a very small pick. You need to make the connection tighter.

Make sure you do this with the ignition off or you'll blow bulbs/fuses.
Done this before and it didn't make any difference

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
my emission light is always coming on, on the dash. actual problem or new sensor?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The earth doesn't go back to the front of the car either!

Rusty pins that need cleaned and pushed together will help a lot. It's pretty easy o sort

Clio 172
I'd be splicing in a new earth like said. You'll have one feed down to the fog and b/l bulb ensure your getting 12v right through the plug and in the actual bulb holder and that water/rust isn't shorting the two. If you've got all that and it's good then a new earth or poor pins in the connector can be the only issue.

Some people seem to fit double filament bulbs in a single filament holder which seems to cause all sorts of problems. Worth a check but sounds to me like a saggy pin/earth fault.

Also the uhc module has its common fault with the indicators plus other central body electrical components which if you've ruled out the light plug, pins and earth then you may have to check down that route

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I'd be splicing in a new earth like said. You'll have one feed down to the fog and b/l bulb ensure your getting 12v right through the plug and in the actual bulb holder and that water/rust isn't shorting the two. If you've got all that and it's good then a new earth or poor pins in the connector can be the only issue.

Some people seem to fit double filament bulbs in a single filament holder which seems to cause all sorts of problems. Worth a check but sounds to me like a saggy pin/earth fault.

Also the uhc module has its common fault with the indicators plus other central body electrical components which if you've ruled out the light plug, pins and earth then you may have to check down that route
The earth doesn't go back to the front of the car either!

Rusty pins that need cleaned and pushed together will help a lot. It's pretty easy o sort
This is what I was trying to say!
You have to pinch the pins together also to aid a better/tighter connection to

The fog only comes on when breaking or when doing indicator on passenger side, not the drivers side.

If I remove the fog bulb from passengers side, the dash still lights up. If I remove whole cluster the fog on the dash still lights up. If I also remove whole cluster from drivers side, the fog on the dash doesn't light up.

Passengers side

DSC_0879_zpssosznooo.jpg

DSC_0880_zpsrrphdjeo.jpg

DSC_0881_zpsikzwn05m.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Right slowly narrowing down.

Took all blues out of both sides and put hem back in, in order of bottom to top. The only time the issue occurs is when I put the top bulb in which I think is break.

Even even when I had indicators and fog bulbs in on both sides nothing. But as soon as I put either of the two top bulbs in the fault appears.

Really can't find an issue with the pins

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Right managed to solve the issue with solder, o put a drop of solder on each pin and the problem has gone away.

How does this connector under the passenger seat come apart?

DSC_0883_zpspptvdvqe.jpg

Clio 172
Looks like the airbag harness? See where your thumb is there's two raised bits, slide a small flat head in there and release the tab if it's what I'm thinking

Also good diagnosis on the wiring plug, turned out its saggy pins

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Bing thanks, bit of tin foil in the pins and air bag light is off two faults down two to go

Clio 172
Awesome! So just a set of pads and lambda. I'm assuming your capable of fitting the pads, just ensure the two spring clips on correctly and the piston is turned correctly to lock on the pad tab.
As for the lambda reading what did you get after the second idle, if it's bot too far out its probably a small exhaust blow. Post a picture of the emissions print out if you can

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Awesome! So just a set of pads and lambda. I'm assuming your capable of fitting the pads, just ensure the two spring clips on correctly and the piston is turned correctly to lock on the pad tab.
As for the lambda reading what did you get after the second idle, if it's bot too far out its probably a small exhaust blow. Post a picture of the emissions print out if you can
yep, pads are piss easy will sort them tomrorrow

as for the exhaust im booked into the garage for them to try find a hole. but the car is 10 years old and its the original exhaust and cat system, its never been changed. so wondering if its time

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Did you solve the earth issue?
There is an earth that runs from the clusters to the body.
Inside the car pull back the material each side of the wheel arch.
You'll see the earth. Take if off, clean it, back on, if you need to rub the car with sandpaper.
Fixed mine and other Clios with this.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Did you solve the earth issue?
There is an earth that runs from the clusters to the body.
Inside the car pull back the material each side of the wheel arch.
You'll see the earth. Take if off, clean it, back on, if you need to rub the car with sandpaper.
Fixed mine and other Clios with this.
yeah fixed cheers

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
garage has confirmed what I expected I need a new exhaust.

quote for centre section and two new back boxes with fitting 480.

where is a good place online to price chedk clio exhausts?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
eBay.

But in fairness you're probably better off getting the old one welded up and waiting for a secondhand stainless system to pop up on here.
£250, fit and forget.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have you replaced the front lambda sensor, that is a prime suspect for causing emissions fails.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ummm they are charging me 100 I think

trouble is, it doesn't have an MOT so I cant drive it around and its been off the road for 5 days now.

when you have a family (2 children) this isn't great

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
This is the reason why i always take my car for it's MOT 20 - 30 days before it runs out. At least that way even if it fails I can drive it until it's sorted. I know that doesn't help your situation but worth considering for next year.

£100 to supply and fit the Lambda is probably about right if they are using a Bosch part, but if they are fitting a 'universal' or none branded part then a) you are being charged too much and b) it'll proabbly fail again in time for next years MOT.

Also, was it them that suggested fitting a new exhaust would cure the problem? If so I think i'd be going elsewhere and asking for my money back. It sounds like they are throwing parts at it until they cure it, rather than diagnosing it properly.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
This is the reason why i always take my car for it's MOT 20 - 30 days before it runs out. At least that way even if it fails I can drive it until it's sorted. I know that doesn't help your situation but worth considering for next year.

£100 to supply and fit the Lambda is probably about right if they are using a Bosch part, but if they are fitting a 'universal' or none branded part then a) you are being charged too much and b) it'll proabbly fail again in time for next years MOT.

Also, was it them that suggested fitting a new exhaust would cure the problem? If so I think i'd be going elsewhere and asking for my money back. It sounds like they are throwing parts at it until they cure it, rather than diagnosing it properly.
To be fair the exhaust is the original one from new and the car is ten years old now. When I looked at the exhaust the other day it was pretty fucked so it was time for a new exhaust.