ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Humming noise wheel bearing?

BG Clio 182
Hi guys,

I've got a humming noise coming from the rear my clio, I've seen a few threads on here saying its a wheel bearing.
I've been to a local garage and they have confirmed that and gave me a quote of £199.99 which I thought was quite expensive.

I plan on doing it myself now but I'm not entirely sure on how to go about doing this or what I need?
Do I need to purchase another disc with the bearing already pressed if so what is a good disc to go for which is around the £100 mark?
and would i need to buy a pair of discs instead of just the one?
Is it possible to just buy the bearings and get the old bearing out the press a new one in?

Thanks
maccalol

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Dan at 519 charged me around £90 fitted including bearing as my osr was gone. £200 is way too much!!

Drop G172 on here a pm as im sure he does Renault discs withe bearings pressed in at a discount price.

1.2 16v
The bearing on mine is completely shagged.. And I got quoted 60 quid along with getting my tracking/alignment done as well.. I think anything over the 100 mark mark might be a bit much?

I've also looked into doing this myself but I've heard off a couple f mates that you would need a pneumatic press just to get the bearing in and out... Bit of a piss about apparently really. But that's me just ring lazy and bit of a chicken s**t! Lol

Last edited:
  BG Clio 182
Hi guys,

sorry for the late response, £90 deffo seems a lot better than £200 so I may have to give Dan a shout as long as hes not busy!
Just wondering as i'm doing a few things to my car this weekend anyway, if I was to buy this rear disc with the bearing already pressed and fit it would that be alright or do would I need to fit 2 discs at the same time?
This is the disc but I have to confirm with them if the bearing already pressed as it doesn't say!lol
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/603re0110

Thanks

1.2 16v
Are you sure this already has the bearing pressed in?

If it does, it it should be ok to put on as just the one, no need to put two on. providing it's the correct one.

BG Clio 182
Yeah that's the only thing i'm not sure of so i'm going to go down there tomorrow and just ask them.
If not ill have to give Dan a call I think.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I always though it was best just to buy a new set of rear discs and put them on.

1.2 16v
I think you're right! but thats if he's changing the entire hub? Do ya reckon he should do both if he's just changing the bearings?
I know he's on about the whole thing, just curious :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I always though it was best just to buy a new set of rear discs and put them on.

situations differ. I oftens see people with non genuine sets of disks that aren't very old, but with one bearing making a noise. In that case it makes more sense to change a bearing for a decent quality one.